Closing regular savers and interest

george4064
george4064 Posts: 2,809 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 15 September 2018 at 9:39PM in Savings & investments
I have a variety of Regular Savers with various banks and may well need to withdraw funds in the near future to use towards a house deposit. My concern is that I want to ensure I still earn interest for the periods the cash were actually in the account.

I have had a read through many of their T&Cs and can't see anywhere whether interest will be credited if I withdraw all funds and close the accounts.

Accounts I have:

1. TSB Monthly Saver (Instant access to your money with no withdrawal charges.)

2. Nationwide: Flex Regular Saver 2 (can make withdrawals, and seems that interest is paid after 12 months).

3. Halifax Regular Saver (no withdrawals)

4. First Direct Regular Saver (interest calculated daily and paid 12 months after account opened. No partial withdrawals allowed and account closure means funds will receive standard variable rate).

Could anyone shed any light on this please?

In addition, is there any particular things I need to do to ensure I earn the interest on the accounts? (i.e. withdraw all funds except for £1 to retain the account to earn the interest at the maturity date etc...)

Also, I have found a few details on their webpages but I find many of them vague and don't want to misunderstand any of them!

Thanks in advance.
"If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    george4064 wrote: »
    I have a variety of Regular Savers with various banks and may well need to withdraw funds in the near future to use towards a house deposit. My concern is that I want to ensure I still earn interest for the periods the cash were actually in the account.

I have had a read through many of their T&Cs and can't see anywhere whether interest will be credited if I withdraw all funds and close the accounts.

Accounts I have:

1. TSB Monthly Saver (Instant access to your money with no withdrawal charges.)

2. Nationwide: Flex Regular Saver 2 (can make withdrawals, and seems that interest is paid after 12 months).

3. Halifax Regular Saver (no withdrawals)

4. First Direct Regular Saver (interest calculated daily and paid 12 months after account opened. No partial withdrawals allowed and account closure means funds will receive standard variable rate).

Could anyone shed any light on this please?

In addition, is there any particular things I need to do to ensure I earn the interest on the accounts? (i.e. withdraw all funds except for £1 to retain the account to earn the interest at the maturity date etc...)

Also, I have found a few details on their webpages but I find many of them vague and don't want to misunderstand any of them!

Thanks in advance.

Interest is paid on closure for all of them. First Direct is the only one that pays a lesser rate if you close early.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Having read all the T&Cs, I'm of the opinion that with the exception of FD, all accounts can be closed with interest earned paid up at closure at the full rate.

In what way did you think they were "vague"?
  • george4064
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Interest is paid on closure for all of them. First Direct is the only one that pays a lesser rate if you close early.

Thanks for the quick reply, so to confirm say if I opened the account on 1st January 2018 and deposited the max £250 a month. Then closed the account & withdrew all funds on 1st October, I would receive interest on the daily balances up to 1st October?
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

• george4064
    Having read all the T&Cs, I'm of the opinion that with the exception of FD, all accounts can be closed with interest earned paid up at closure at the full rate.

In what way did you think they were "vague"?

Might just me being worried that I am misunderstanding their T&Cs.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, so to confirm say if I opened the account on 1st January 2018 and deposited the max £250 a month. Then closed the account & withdrew all funds on 1st October, I would receive interest on the daily balances up to 1st October?

Yes.......
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Might just me being worried that I am misunderstanding their T&Cs.

Thanks for looking into this.
    I think you're looking for something that isn't there*. eg FD specifically tell you what will happen to the interest rate, whereas all the others don't. They simply say they'll pay interest up at closure. That interest rate must be the account rate, ie 2.5%, because no other rate is quoted.

* Which is a good thing! In short, as with all these T&Cs, its just as important to see what they don't say as it is to find out what they do say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure