Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wouldn't go back to my two being teenagers again for anything. Mr SA and I did nothing but fall out over them. Mr SA used to moan non stop about them, drove me mad :(

My tip is not to think, just keep moving on through the day. The minute I stop and think I start to feel down.

Hope things improve soon xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • I agree with the not thinking. Try and keep busy and keep moving. The teenage phase is stressful but they do become nice eventually (if you don't murder them before then).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Thanks SA and Hairy. Feel a bit better today, TOTM has arrived so hormones were probably making everything seem worse. Or at least I wasn’t as tolerant to deal with it.

Got weighed at chub club and I’ve gained 2.5lbs over the last two weeks. Happy with that considering all the celebrations etc, but need to knuckle down again.

Money still very tight. Got a couple of bits sorted out for eBay and we are planning a quiet weekend with hopefully no spending. Need to do a freezer/cupboard inventory so I can make the most of what’s in there. I’ve spoken to the boys about needing to save money for Christmas (to send to Santa as far as DS2 is concerned) and DS2 is now miserable that Christmas is ‘going to be cancelled’ :eek:. He obviously underestimates me!! DS1 didn’t say much, and the handed me a letter about a school trip to San Francisco costing £1750 :eek::eek:. He says he knows we can’t afford it :(.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Why oh why do schools organise such expensive trips???? They must know how disappointed most of the pupils are going to be, and I can't think of anything particularly educational in San Francisco - probably the teachers wanting to go there. What reason have they given for going there?

really hope you're feeling a little better than you were and you can get lots on 3bay for the £1 listing fees. (((hugs)))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Chrystal wrote: »
    Why oh why do schools organise such expensive trips???? They must know how disappointed most of the pupils are going to be, and I can't think of anything particularly educational in San Francisco - probably the teachers wanting to go there. What reason have they given for going there?

It’s an ICT/Computer Science Trip primarily, but also sightseeing and visiting Alcatraz amongst other things. They are staying at a top notch hotel and visiting all the best restaurants as well. I assume the price covers the teaching staff’s holiday too :eek:.

Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • I agree about San Fransisco! Totally ridiculous! My only residential school trips were to the Cotswolds and Wales, which is much more affordable.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • This really infuriates me. Very few parents can afford this obscene amount of money for 1 child. You could have a family holiday for that! It also puts huge pressure on parents who think it must be educational, so somehow they must send them. Then you have the children themselves who do go, lording it over others that don't. Talk about the quickest way to divide a year group.
    These children are 11 and 12 year olds. Plenty of time to go to San Francisco when they are adult, can appreciate all it has to offer and more importantly can fund it themselves. The school should be ashamed of themselves and the cynic would think it is being done for the benefit of the staff who will get a nice free holiday. Utter madness.
    I think I would say to my son, ' no we can't afford it but even if we had lots of money you still wouldn't be going because it is far too much money for a school trip. End of! What happened to The National History Museum or The Tower of London? It really is beyond belief.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It’s an ICT/Computer Science Trip primarily, but also sightseeing and visiting Alcatraz amongst other things. They are staying at a top notch hotel and visiting all the best restaurants as well. I assume the price covers the teaching staff’s holiday too :eek:.

Xx
    I think I'd be putting in a formal complaint. There are places much nearer that can be utilised for ICT/Computer Science, and would be much more age appropriate than San Francisco!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That is just dire.
    Puts way way too much pressure on parents :mad:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Can't believe the school trip :eek: What are the school thinking of? They need to get in the real world. Oh yes it would be a fantastic trip but one to make with family not school! When I was at school we went to Kew Gardens and Skegness!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure