Wedding dress

Options

Comments

• wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2017 at 8:52AM
    Options
    I think you will be able to save if you made to order.

I'm looking at £500 plus alterations. How much would a made to order one be, it must take a long time to make them. I once had silk curtains made with fabric that I got for a good price, that already was a lots of money, but at least the curtains are still in use....
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    wheelz wrote: »
    Looking at one around £500 plus alterations. How much would a non-standard wedding dress be? I wouldn't have thought it's much less. I'll just be princess for a day then, not really me but hey. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Have you looked at the High street shops that do wedding outfits like Monsoon and Phase Eight?
  • wheelz
    Options
    Hi, I didn't know they did. I have just looked at department stores and monsoon online. :-) I am now planning on going to Debenhams and possibly others.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pace yourself.
    Dress shopping, especially one that will shine in photos for decades, is tough going.
    (Having found The One, buy its twin on other colours?!)
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wheelz wrote: »
    Hi, I didn't know they did. I have just looked at department stores and monsoon online. :-) I am now planning on going to Debenhams and possibly others.

I got my dress from Debenhams. It was most definitely weddingy, without even a hint of meringue, didn't need any alterations and was under £300.

Good luck with dress hunting.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I believe Coast do some dresses that might be suitable too. Although you don't like shopping, trick is trying them on. I tried in loads of wedding dresses I thought I liked, didn't like any on enough, the shop persuaded me to try one I didn't like and guess what....bingo! It was the perfect dress...and a bonus was the only alteration as such needed was two loops being added in the back for my bra to put the back straps through (pretty sure I wasn't even charged for that).
    You're the one in the dress for the day so make sure it's what you like and are happy with, not ticking boxes for other people. Best of luck with the wedding.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Why not go for a dress you can wear again?

We had our bridesmaids dresses made so that they could be worn again- they all had matching bodices but detachable skirts, so they had smart skirts to re-use or wear with a different top.

You don't need to go white- perhaps a pale silk which can be re-used?

Phase 8 have some gorgeous wedding dresses too- a lot less than £500. Good luck!
  • Apoorwoman
    Options
    Not quite the same thing, but I needed a Mother of the Groom dress and I just hate shopping, and dressing up for that matter. I found an Ann Balon dress on ebay. They retail at around £600/700 pounds new. I got it for under £200 and it is stunning. You could honestly wear it as a wedding dress. Italian lace, mermaid tail and with a matching jacket. They come in the most lovely colours, hang beautifully and never crease. Take a look, you may find something that catches your eye.

Hope your wedding goes wonderfully and you have a very happy marriage.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are not that into dresses how about a suit? A friend got married last year and she has never been a dress sort of person so she wore a beautiful suit instead, she really did look stunning on the day and was a lot more comfortable and confident than she would have been in a dress.
  • wheelz
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    If you are not that into dresses how about a suit? A friend got married last year and she has never been a dress sort of person so she wore a beautiful suit instead, she really did look stunning on the day and was a lot more comfortable and confident than she would have been in a dress.

I'm not that into the wedding dresses that you get in a bridal shop, they all have trains. But I know that you can still have floor length dresses but it seems a waste and maybe not what they where designed for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure