What's happened to First Direct?

Hey,

Anyone else feel like First Direct have really gone downhill? It wasn't that long ago that ringing them was painless, being answered by a human within a few rings - now you're put on hold for minutes. What's happened?
Despite my name, I'm not a student any more

Comments

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2019 at 11:07PM
    studentguy wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone else feel like First Direct have really gone downhill? It wasn't that long ago that ringing them was painless, being answered by a human within a few rings - now you're put on hold for minutes. What's happened?

Retail banks are finding many of their revenue streams cut off and are cutting money where they can. High street banks are closing branches, First Direct (having no branches) are probably reducing call centre staff numbers.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,045
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2019 at 6:23AM
    Ergates wrote: »
    First Direct (having no branches) are probably reducing call centre staff numbers.

FD make people phone them for reasons that no other Bank does like to set up online/telephone banking after a new customer successfully applies for an account

When I switched out a credit went in same day as the switch out, credit was forwarded to new bank twice under two different reference numbers, having recieved text saying unauthorised overdraft, I sent secure message someone phoned me albeit reason for phoning me was related to secure message I sent month earlier about wanting to open a second account and never getting an answer within 10 minutes, person said to me I would need to phone up to make a card payment, my answer was why do I need to phone up I can make card payment now. ( She agreed and transferred me albeit to an inappropriate person)

I did say to person who phoned me from FD, if I had known it was FD calling I would have put my music on, reply was we do get people putting us on hold when we phone.

In addition to existing customers having to phone if want to apply for second account, if someone switches account out still need to phone to apply for a new account, 0800 new account phone number ( which did answer immediately) has recently been scrapped, I phoned 0800 morgage number and got transferred when I wanted to apply for new account having transferred account out.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,968
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    IMHO they were over rated. I only went for the switch bonus and 5% regular saver and since moved on. As said above their registration for online backing is done over the phone, this is the only bank that I know of that does this. If they had an online process then that would free up more advisors.
  • balfie33
    balfie33 Posts: 5
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I havent had this problem, I still find they answer quickly and the same person helps you without passing you from pillar to post. I still think they are the best, after escaping from Barclays and Lloyds I am still amazed at how painless banking is with them. I no longer put off ringing my bank lol
  • I find them overrated.

You get no better service with them than with a high-street bank imho
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Been with them 20 years approx. In the last 3yrs I've had to ring them twice, my wife rang them last week to set up her iphone banking app, before that she can't remember when she last had to ring them, years I guess.

Why do folk feel the need to be in contact with them often I wonder, it's all there online?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Brewer20 wrote: »
    Been with them 20 years approx. In the last 3yrs I've had to ring them twice, my wife rang them last week to set up her iphone banking app, before that she can't remember when she last had to ring them, years I guess.

Why do folk feel the need to be in contact with them often I wonder, it's all there online?

Last time I used them, I had to call them due to deficiencies in their online offering. Most other players have online and branch offerings to use before using the phone.
  • Omg. I thought it was just me.
    Having referred hubbie recently, I find I’m eating my words. I used to rave at their efficiency answering the phone etc
    Now spend ages on hold listening to that mind blowing seagull and seaside ‘music’, had my regular account maturity messed up causing me to almost go over drawn, have had statement balance given to me from the wrong account.
    Ok so they’re friendly enough but seems to be at the detriment of efficiency hence the problems I have received.
    Shan’t be voting them the tops any longer.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My thoughts on FD are well known, but to summarise: they're not as good as they think they are or as good as they used to be. They were groundbreaking back in 1989, still a cut above in 2009, but have rapidly been eclipsed as other banks wised up.

They do things differently to other banks, but "different" doesn't mean "better" necessarily. And this is not helped by their snooty, superior attitude which they display as soon as you mention you're not delighted with any aspect of anything they do.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    They were groundbreaking back in 1989, still a cut above in 2009, but have rapidly been eclipsed as other banks wised up.

First direct are like the hare which thought it would easily win the race, only to be outrun by the tortoise (i.e. most of the other banks) whilst it was sleeping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure