Excessive mobile data usage

Options

Comments

• sajjed
    sajjed Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    bob99999 wrote: »
    Hi
    Had a similar problem recently after I had sent and received some photos by email.
    Thought they had gone but apparently as i had gone over size limit, my iphone continued to try to send & receive over and over.
    Only found out after i had cleared and monitored data usage as to why i used gb's over a few days.

Thanks
    Just checked I have nothing in the outbox

Some helpful replies off everyone thanks.
    Hasn't solved my problem but good for future reference for myself and anyone else in my the same boat
  • bob99999
    bob99999 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now that you have reset usage, hopefully you can see where the data is being used. Hopefully tallys to o2 website.
    Maybe doing a factory reset may help?
  • jjhdee
    jjhdee Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve had the same issue this month with iPhone too. It could be storage assist within iCloud. So apps and photos etc are downloading from iCloud as I use them as they are not stored on the device to save space. I am having to manually switch off Mobile data in settings so that all the back ground work with iCloud is being done over WiFi only.

It could be this or you might have the application updates on auto. Check settings for that as I've experience this same thing before because of updates.
  • sajjed
    Options
    All app updates are set to wifi only
    I don’t back up to icloud i back up on laptop, i have icloud drive turned off
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grumpygit wrote: »
    Hi

Not in UK but Channel Islands and a lot of people over here have been complaining about excessive data usage and roaming charges whilst away either in UK or other places......me included.

Mobile data turned off, roaming turned off (as is wifi assist) and only using wifi but, the line from our provider is that if away, we should also ensure that location services are turned off as well as this is (according to them) what is causing the charges.

Now I appreciate that this is not the same issue as you face if you have a contract and don't have to roam, but I don't know if this is linked.

Most people (including me) have Iphones and our provider is blaming the phone not their service.

We don't believe them and I have yet to go in and complain myself but I thought that I would share this in case (for whatever reason) it's an issue with the Iphone not the service.

I haven't had this issue before and have gone away and done the same thing, it's only a recent thing that's being reported.

Research the term 'Non Web Data'
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do iPhones still have WiFi Assist .. where it can use mobile data even if you're on WiFi?
  • sajjed
    Options
    Do iPhones still have WiFi Assist .. where it can use mobile data even if you're on WiFi?

I have Iphone Xs it has wifi assist but I have deactivated it
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry .. you mentioned that in the OP.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I didn’t even know about WiFi assist, it’s hidden right down at the bottom of mobile data settings, hopefully switching that off will help save some data.
  • sajjed
    Options
    I didn’t even know about WiFi assist, it’s hidden right down at the bottom of mobile data settings, hopefully switching that off will help save some data.

Mines always been off so isnt the cause of my problem.
    Hope it helps your problem with data usage.
    I am having to turn off mobile data when out and about and just turning it on to check for emails or messages occasionally , defeats the object of being mobile !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure