Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 4,806Posts
    • 42,452Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 8:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 8:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    NST June #16 nsd =
Page 28
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 5th Oct 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    Agree with everyone else. We normally end up buying a few packets of crisps but that's all.

You are doing so well juggling everything x
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - 176.66
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 5th Oct 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    I was asleep good and early last night, and slept pretty well, but I felt awful when I woke up. Just groggy and sleepy and desperately tired and not wanting to get out of my bed at all, and not keen on a full teaching day Friday when my head isn't in the game. Swung between shouty angry and tearful for most of the day but I survived. My Year 11 classes were lovely and pretty much looked after themselves, whilst telling me how tired I look.
    I normally shop on a Saturday morning but I decided I want to have a lie in tomorrow before I go tutoring, so I did the shopping after work tonight. At least it's out of the way for another week - the freezers are still very full so we should be ok.
    Whilst I feel infinitely better than I did yesterday I still need to let go of the guilt a bit and stop blaming myself for everything that happens in the world. Especially things I have no control over, like my boss's situation and court dates. And I need to give myself a bit of a break as well.
    Still don't feel like reading or crochet - sleep is always the most attractive option at the moment, so I'm going to have an early night and a lie in, hopefully getting up and feeling ready to face the day tomorrow. 2 more weeks until half term. I have some work to do for the exam board, and I definitely want to get that application in as well. Plus 2 tutoring sessions. I don't think I'm going to do anything Nigella like in the kitchen this weekend - I have plenty of work related stuff to get on with and need to relax as well.
    And thanks all of you for your comments about DS - he is a lovely kid. Just sometimes needs a kick up the bum. I'm not one of these Fakebook mums either - he has a few choice moments in the style of Peter and Jane, and there are days I want to smack him, but overall he's a lovely kid. As is his sister - who has gone into town with her friends looking more orange than ever tonight. It's our town's annual harvest celebrations and there's a fun fair for a week as part of the celebrations which she is intending to go to every day it's on.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Oct 18, 7:20 AM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 21,257 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Love the idea of a pumpkin girl going off to celebrate harvest on the funfair.

I was at the secondary school at chucking out time with DS3 & 4 who were up to something on the 'big school' field. Could not believe how grown up the new year 7 kids looked. 12 weeks ago I saw them leaving primary every day, now, suddenly they are enormous.

Hope you get masses of good quality Zzzzzz's and feel your head is more together.
    MFW START1/5/16 118,340 Oct17109,49 12/17 108,801/18 108,39 3/18 108,50 4/18108,10 5/18106,99 6/18105,99.7/18105,308/18103,99 9/18102,99 10/18101,999 11/18101,300 12/18100,700,1/19 99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 98,9991/4 98,500 1/5 97,999 1/6 97,500 1/7 96,999.99
    MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Oct 18, 7:35 AM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I hadn't thought of her like a pumpkin f0xh0les but that's exactly what it was She enjoyed it. Says she's taking her brother this afternoon and then going with her friends again later this evening. Good job they have their own spends for this one as I still have none.
    So I woke up at 7.15 - which is a minor lie in, but the cats were hungry. And I've only been up twice during the night as well so I'm a bit more refreshed than I have been recently.
    There was a text from my tutee sent at 1.30am asking if I could do Sunday instead of today. I can, but not at the time they want - so I've text back to ask if later is any good. However, I have assumed that today is cancelled and I have an unexpected day to myself... Not bad.
    There are loads of things I want to do with my day but I won't get all of them done. I need to sit and try and prioritise it. I want to contact bestie and see if she's available for a cuppa today at all and a bit of a catch up (she doesn't know about my week from hell), but I also want to get all of this exam board work done, and get the application in as well. On top of that I'm determined to have a walk later - just need some fresh air and to clear my head a bit. And I'm almost done making a hat that someone asked me to do so I'd quite like to get that done over the weekend as well. That's an awful lot for one day so I need to sort out exactly what and when. At the moment I'm just sitting watching a bit of telly with a cup of tea.
    I will report back in later - hopefully having gotten loads of stuff done.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 6th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hope your day is going well.X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I think that I'll count today as a success overall, although I didn't get everything done that I'd wanted to. Didn't manage to catch up with bestie as she was out and about this morning, then dd took her brother out to the festival in town at lunchtime - so that wasn't ideal. And I ended up only getting changed into a clean pair of pyjamas rather than going out for a walk as I'd planned so I haven't left the house all day. However, I did manage to do a bit of an in house workout - so I got a bit of movement in.
    So, on with the positives. Not leaving the house means not spending on frivolous things. I also didn't do any spending online so have chalked up another nsd. I also got my application in for the promotion at the exam board. I don't have high hopes for it but you have to be in it to win it. Also made a really good start on the work that I need to do for the exam board, and I should get it finished tomorrow without too much trouble. Also got finished making the first hat that my friend asked me to do, and I've started on the second. So it's been quite productive all in all.
    I also decided that I couldn't ignore Christmas any more. Whilst a home made Christmas will be fantastic for my family and friends - I know that the kids are less than impressed with all of my home made stuff, crochet, foodstuffs or anything else. They're just at that age. But neither of them have asked for anything at all yet, and I have explained that funds are very tight indeed this year. I have started thinking about some things that I might be able to get them, the usual undies and nightwear but also some stuff for holiday as we're going in February. I'm thinking of a nice bag each for them, books to read and puzzle books as well. Nothing else has come to mind just yet but I know they'll need to be entertained during the journey and while we're away (although they do both have their phones). It is just a short holiday so I probably don't need to concern myself too much with it though.
    I am trying to let go of the guilt that I've done nothing at all today for anyone but me, and I've just stayed in the house and relaxed. Sometimes we need days like this don't we?
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 18, 8:46 PM
    • 64,477 Posts
    • 287,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, we do all need days like this so no need to feel guility
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 6th Oct 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,812 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Absolutely...when you think how busy you are during the working day, a quiet day is a good balance.
    paydbx2019 #93 793.95/10,100 .
    EF 200

# savings# 100
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 7th Oct 18, 7:33 AM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 21,257 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Sometimes we all just need to stop for a day. I am sure the pile of ironing does not mind, and I know my hoover loves a day off. Think of all that saved electricity.
    You need to save your energy too.
    MFW START1/5/16 118,340 Oct17109,49 12/17 108,801/18 108,39 3/18 108,50 4/18108,10 5/18106,99 6/18105,99.7/18105,308/18103,99 9/18102,99 10/18101,999 11/18101,300 12/18100,700,1/19 99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 98,9991/4 98,500 1/5 97,999 1/6 97,500 1/7 96,999.99
    MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 7th Oct 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    I'm quite pleased I had the day off yesterday because I have been busy again today. When I first woke up this morning I thought it was Monday so it was something of a relief to know that I could relax and stay in bed for a bit. It was cold enough for the heating to have kicked in so I didn't fancy getting up anyway (set for 14 degrees in the morning).
    So I got up and had a cuppa, and finished the work that I had to do for the exam board. Then found a new box set on Netflix to watch - managed 1 episode before I had to go to my tutoring session. I had 2 tutees today with a 1 hour gap between them, so I decided to go for a walk between the sessions to get my steps up and because I'd wanted to do it yesterday but didn't bother.
    It was half past three before I got home so I decided to make some dinner straight away (error because I'm now hungry but it's getting too late to eat), and then I helped DH with his homework. Also tried with a motivational speech for dd who has been picked for some event at school to do with the brightest kids in the year group (she's 1 of 8) but she doesn't want to do it because she doesn't like the other 7 in the group. I've told her there's no harm in finding out what it is (something to do with university apparently).
    Then I got on with some school work for next week, then had a shower and settled to watch the new Dr Who. I thought she was brilliant and I really enjoyed it. Now just about to watch The Cry and then go to bed. Quite a bit of telly in the evenings now...
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Next time I feel guilty about sitting in front of the telly watching a box set, please remind me of the Monday I left for work at half seven and literally didn't stop until quarter to four. No toilet break, no lunch, nothing to drink. It has been manic at work today. Monday is always busy as I have a full teaching day but I have mentioned a couple of times that there are other things going on in the background that don't directly concern me, but as I'm the union rep I usually am involved with. One of those things has hit the fan today and I've been trying to juggle that with teaching work and my usual stresses.
    Good thing is when you're busy then you don't have time to think about your own stuff that's stressing you out. Not that I've felt that bad today to be honest. It's a miracle because I had a rotten sleep last night and have been awake since about half past four. All is quiet on the ex front - he's not even been in touch with the kids this weekend, which isn't entirely unusual. I suspect he's in a bad way mentally, but I am not going to try and find out - our lives are going in separate directions now and he needs to sort himself out.
    It was ds parents evening tonight. I'm really thrilled to hear that he's doing brilliantly - making better than expected progress (he's smart) in all areas, keen to contribute and not getting into trouble. I know he's an amazing kid, and I'm pleased that others see that in him as well. Also pleased that his teacher hasn't seen the stubborn, rude huff-monster he turns into when he's tired or angry.
    Got home about an hour ago and have heated up some freezer leftovers for tea - dd is going out to our town's fireworks display in a bit (it's harvest festival style celebration that our town does annually), ds is having a couple of hours on the Xbox and I am going to do exactly what I want to - which is sit on my bum and crochet before being in bed by 9pm.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Oct 18, 6:10 PM
    • 5,013 Posts
    • 29,022 Thanks
    foxgloves
    What a day, CCL. You've been so busy at school. DEFO tonight should be all about sitting on your bum with your crochet. Love the description 'Huff-monster' - describes how I was at around the same age perfectly!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 124
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 18, 6:12 PM
    • 64,477 Posts
    • 287,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    All I am going to say is that it is not good to neither eat or drink all day.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    • 9,029 Posts
    • 69,486 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Just a suggestion, but are the union rep duties/involvements something that you could stop and pass on to someone else? I know this wouldn't happen immediately, but thought I'd mention it.
    NST July jogger #5; NSD 7/18; Ex 13/31; remove bagfuls (31)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Oct 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,812 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Totally sympathise about the " on the go" days. I am very lucky that I have a wonderful TA who, if I haven't had much of a break, will physically put a cup of tea in my hand. I've also spent 10 on a travel cup. We have to have covered cups anyway because of health and safety but it keeps drinks warm for at least 6 hours. Easy to have on the desk and take a sip from through the day. Certainly helps me to not become dehydrated.

Enjoy your evening of TV and crochet!
    paydbx2019 #93 793.95/10,100 .
    EF 200

# savings# 100
    • I_Want_to_be_Free
    • By I_Want_to_be_Free 8th Oct 18, 7:46 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    I_Want_to_be_Free
    I don't think anyone can understand just how hard it is to live with a long term depressed person unless they've experienced it. It's soul-sapping and you do move away from sympathy to self preservation - you have to, and even more so when children are involved. You have my sympathies, CCL - and all credit to you for taking the step you've taken. No useful things to add, but see you in Turtle land x
    Originally posted by greent
    I completely agree but the person involved is my dad. It started about 10 yrs ago and he's the victim of everything, angry at the world, envious of everyone else, lashes out verbally and can be very very cruel with his comments. It's coming to an end at the moment and it's going to turn nasty but it's the right thing to happen as we can't live like this anymore.

Cat, you definitely did the right thing kicking your fella out. You deserve to be adored by someone who will be there for you and love you and make you feel precious. And your children don't need a role model like him in their lives. Best wishes for you hun xxx
    Debt on credit cards as at 11/09/17: 44,924 Debt on credit cards as at 05/10/18: 37,449
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Oct 18, 7:37 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Your work sounds exhausting CCL but as you say, the upside is that your working day flies in and you don't get the chance to worry about personal stuff. You fully deserve to put your feet up and relax for a bit, in fact I maintain you should so more often.

Also great to hear your DS is doing so well too. Testament to you as a parent I say.

Any plans afoot for making any more jam?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Oct 18, 5:45 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening everyone
    Thank you all for thinking of me. I do hate the days like yesterday where I don't get a chance to eat or drink all day - I pigged out last night to make up for it, which is not a good thing. I was similarly busy today but managed a cup of tea before work started, plus 2 cups of tea when I was in with the Head for an hour. Still didn't manage lunch until after 2 pm though. It's just a really busy time at the moment.
    I have tried to pass the union role on apple - numerous times - but nobody wants to do it. It's not hard most of the time to be fair. Our Head teacher is a good guy, really fair and transparent with all of his decisions etc. There are some big changes going on, and some staff are unhappy which is having a bit of a knock on effect. In previous years I've been in the department under endless pressure so I know how hard that can be. Ultimately I represent my members so that's what I'm going to do.
    I'm also trying to further my own role at school - volunteering to do stuff... I did an observation with the Head this morning, which was an amazing experience (to see it from the other end) so that is also busy. By 2pm I had a bit of a fuzzy head and decided to use the rest of my free to go out for a little walk to try and clear my head. It worked a little bit but I'm still not feeling great. And I had another meeting with the Head after school as well so by the time I left at 4 I was tired, and bringing lots of work home for this evening.
    I've gotten home and had steak and potatoes for my dinner, and am still fuzzy headed but also feeling a bit sickly now as well. I'm going to work 1 hour, no more and then settle for the night. More tv, and bed by 10. Maybe even 9.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 42,452 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    OK, so I fell asleep watching the Bake Off last night and was then wide awake and raring to go just before 2am. Took me ages to get back to sleep again... Then I definitely didn't want to get up when half six ticked round. I knew I had another busy day on today...
    So I made sure I had breakfast even though I didn't much want it - then I taught 2 lessons, then had a meeting with the Head. I had thought it would take an hour at most but I was in there for over 2 hours in the end. I missed lunch (again) and the end of the teaching day. Plus I'm still a bit fuzzy headed and nauseous. I've been putting this down to stress and being busy but I think it might actually be something I've caught - there is a bug with the same symptoms doing the rounds in our department.
    Meeting after school so I didn't get to leave until 5pm and I was (am) shattered. Leftover meatballs from the freezer for dinner, and I've barely managed to do anything else all night. I got home to a bit of good news in that my tuxy cat's insurance policy has paid out, and I'm getting 66.50 put back into my bank account. Plus when I checked my account online a couple of cheques that I thought had gone missing in the post have finally arrived in there. So I'm pleased to see my bank balance looking less scary that it has all week, and knowing there's a bit more to come. I don't intend to spend it, but I feel safer knowing it's there.
    Right - I have decided to call it a night and head off to bed. Not the most productive of days but I definitely need the rest. Take care all - normal service should resume tomorrow.
    NST June #16 nsd =
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 18, 7:36 PM
    • 64,477 Posts
    • 287,464 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the extra pennies.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,751Posts Today

7,088Users online

Martin's Twitter