Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• footyguy couple of screen shots for you to compare both the same and both receive the £50 paid by the company not a cash back site. I dare can not added any more info or it will be deleted.

Tariff with CEC.
    upplier: Bulb
    Tariff Name: Vari-Fair
    Tariff Type: Variable
    Payment Method: Debit Card recurring payment
    Electricity Unit Rate: 13.000p per kWh
    Electricity Standing Charge: 27.30p per day (£99.64 per year)
    Gas Unit Rate: 2.628p per kWh
    Gas Standing Charge: 27.30p per day (£99.64 per year)
    Dual Fuel discount: £30/year
    Exit Fees: None
    (we don’t believe in exit fees)
    Illustrative Dual Fuel cost on this tariff

Tariff via dummey acount useing referall link.
    plier: Bulb
    Assumed Annual Consumption: 4,203 kWh Electricity
    8,683 kWh Gas
    Estimated Annual Cost: £944
    Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR): 15.73p per kWh Electricity
    3.31p per kWh Gas
    Estimated costs include VAT at 5% and are based on current prices for the tariff shown above. The prices quoted may be different to how these are displayed on you
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 8:26AM
    ^^^

Of course their variable (expensive) tariff is the same no matter where you look

I asked about the MSE collective tariff from Bulb - you've missed it now :cool:

Edit: See this thread for discussion of just how expensive Bulb Variable rate tariff is
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5636197

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you :)
  • ^^^^
    I did do a switch through the MSE web site and the above tariff was the one I was given in April 2017. Do you know what the correct tariff I should have been quoted and when the collective rates stopped?
    Thanks
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Will_at_Bulb Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    edited 12 May 2017 at 2:24PM
    Hi folks,

Just to quickly clear a few things up:
    ^^^^
    I did do a switch through the MSE web site and the above tariff was the one I was given in April 2017. Do you know what the correct tariff I should have been quoted and when the collective rates stopped?
    Thanks

We have not done any collectives with MSE this year and do not plan to do any more ever. This isn't a reflection of MSE, but rather philosphically we don't think it's fair to have some members on a better tariff than others. We do not offer any fixeds at all, only our variable tariff.
    karl_a wrote: »
    I applied to switch to Bulb via the MSE Cheap Energy Club on the 26 April.
    Should I have received an email/letter from them by now? All I've had is the initial MSE one saying my switch was in progress.

That's definitely not right. You should have received an email titled "Well hello there" on the 27th April. If you give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 we can look into what's happened and sort it out for you. Don't worry. We pick up very quickly.
    icharus wrote: »
    I went to switch to Bulb and found part way through that I woud be charged almost £100 pa extra because I appear to have an IGT.

Since Project Nexus launched this week we are no longer charging IGT charges. Here's a quick article we've written about it - https://blog.bulb.co.uk/pro-gas-tination-get-know-project-nexus/
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 2:08PM
    footyguy couple of screen shots for you to compare both the same and both receive the £50 paid by the company not a cash back site. I dare can not added any more info or it will be deleted.

Tariff with CEC.
    upplier: Bulb

Tariff via dummey acount useing referall link.
    plier: Bulb
    Assumed Annual Consumption: 4,203 kWh Electricity
    8,683 kWh Gas
    Estimated Annual Cost: £944
    Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR): 15.73p per kWh Electricity
    3.31p per kWh Gas
    Estimated costs include VAT at 5% and are based on current prices for the tariff shown above. The prices quoted may be different to how these are displayed on you
    ^^^^
    Thanks

You didn't say which supply region you are in, but based on the prices quotes, I presume you are in the Seeboard/South East region

If correct, you could buy your energy for about £50 a year less from a supplier called One Select (£895/year)

But your best option currently would be to buy your gas from Zog on their Mercury 12 tariff
    2.977p per kWh but only 10.50p per day (£38.32 per year) standing charge
    This would cost you £297p.a

... and your electricity from Eon (E.ON Saver Fixed 1 Year v9)
    12.537p per kWh and only 16.42p per day (£59.94 per year) standing charge
    less £5p.a. online billing discount
    This would cost you £582p.a

This would give a total cost of just £879p.a (a saving over Bulb of £65p.a before any possible cashback)

As there is no early exit fee with Bulb, why not switch today and start saving asap? :money:
    I don't think you'll find any cashback for Zog, but you should be able to obtain some possible cashback for Eon (CEC will pay you £15 but you can probably do even better than that)

Data courtesy of Energyhelpline
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 2:20PM
    Since Project Nexus launched this week we are no longer charging IGT charges. Here's a quick article we've written about it - https://blog.bulb.co.uk/pro-gas-tination-get-know-project-nexus/.

That's good to hear, Will. £100 p.a surcharge really was rip-off, imho.
    No one else charges extra afaik (although admittedly not all suppliers support IGT customers)

[STRIKE]Unable to read your link, though. All I get is[/STRIKE]
    Error: Server Error

The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.Please try again in 30 seconds.

[STRIKE]Been like that for a lot longer than 30 seconds...[/STRIKE]

Edit: Link is working again now :)
  • Jacobhc
    Jacobhc Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2017 at 1:03PM
    I am glad to be rid of EDF and nPower over the years, Bulb are brilliant but a few teething problems, make sure to give your own readings, estimates seem to always be wrong with all energy companies. Watch your bills like a hawk, we were told what our credit balance was on recent bill and it was wrong, this does not show up online unless looking at your bill. I mean the breakdown what you have paid in every month, does not show balance...

Overall think its great how competitive Bulb are and shows up the rest of the greedy big 6!!!
  • Just switched yesterday afternoon via CEC and received a welcome Email already this morning. Excellent ..
    Looking forward what follows next...
  • moxter
    moxter Posts: 105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I switched to Bulb from Good Energy a few weeks ago.

First a word on Good Energy and why I switched. I used to work in marketing/market research and there was always lots of talk about brand "trust". For the most part that's a load of nonsense, it just makes marketing people feel better. But in my experience there are a handful of companies who I'd genuinely trust to do the right thing. Good Energy are one of them and I'd go out of my way to recommend them.

Anyhow, I switched. Given how much of a fan I was of Good Energy, you might ask why. Two reasons:
    Firstly, because I like to think of Bulb as being a bit like Good Energy were a few years ago: the new kid on the block, a young company, trying new things, trying to get started, 100% renewable...and so deserving of some support.

I'd be disingenuous if I said that was the main reason why, though. The main reason was cost. Bulb were quite significantly cheaper for me (2 adults + 1 child, 3 bedroom house, London, slightly-below-average energy consumers). We're talking a couple of hundred quid a year cheaper.

So far, so good. The switch was seamless and I've had no reason to contact them so far so can't comment on customer service. There's a joining bonus and I also got a voucher for sexy lightbulb manufacturer (!) Plumen, which I haven't used but if I felt a bit more flush I would as they are beautiful.The website is exceptionally clear and simple, the tariff is set out very clearly, submitting meter readings is simple. As usual the monthly payments are far higher than I consumer so in a few months we're already hundreds of pounds in credit, but that's the same with all providers in my view, and I presume there's some sort of annual review once they have enough data, or the option to contact them yourself to bring the payments down.

However - a warning message to Bulb: if they let me down IN ANY WAY then I'll be back to GE in a heartbeat.
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Will_at_Bulb Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    moxter wrote: »
    However - a warning message to Bulb: if they let me down IN ANY WAY then I'll be back to GE in a heartbeat.

Heard and understood! Giving our members the best experience is our #1 goal. We started Bulb because we saw that existing companies were giving such poor service without any transparency and wanted to change things. We work relentlessly to give better service all the time. We won't let you down.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback