Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • dilemma10
    • By dilemma10 16th Sep 12, 1:26 PM
    • 243Posts
    • 56Thanks
    Urgent - Please Help!
    • #1
    • 16th Sep 12, 1:26 PM
    Urgent - Please Help! 16th Sep 12 at 1:26 PM
    Need urgent help!

    My Mum found out that her Dad died a MONTH ago and her sister did not tell her...and the funeral has been and gone.
    I suspect this has to do with his will - which, on last sight was left to 6 grandchildren. However, my aunty always said she was going to get this changed!

    Where do I go from here to make it known to the Grandad's solicitor that he had another daughter and how to go about getting a copy of the will?

    My Mum is a highly moral person who looked after his wife who just died so for her sister to do this is despicable...
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 16th Sep 12, 2:35 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 12, 2:35 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 12, 2:35 PM
    Do you know the estate is being dealt with by a solicitor ? If it is - ring them up and speak to them ...

    But - there is no requirement for a solicitor to be involved at all. If your aunt has been named executor in the will - she can deal with it herself.

    Once probate has been granted, which can take a few months, the will becomes a public document and you can pay a fee (currently 6) to get a copy from the probate office.

    If you believe the will is not valid, you can challenge it, but that can be difficult and expensive to do. It may be worth your mum seeking out a local solicitor of a free half hour consultation to check where she stands.

    I assume your mum and her sister are not in contact or speaking about this ?
    • daska
    • By daska 16th Sep 12, 5:07 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Sep 12, 5:07 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Sep 12, 5:07 PM
    If the estate is large enough to go through probate then the most sensible thing to do is to ring them to find out if an application has been made. 0845 30 20 900.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,697Posts Today

8,287Users online

Martin's Twitter