Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 September 2012 at 12:40PM
    meagan wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,I have had the following quotes and would like your comments and advise
    Avanti 44.9p 6 mths cap
    Extra Fuel 46p No limit on anything and have to pay UP Front
    LPG Home Heat (part of Northern Energy) 45p 12mth cap

I assume this cap is nothing to do with fuel increases that they will impose on us,I am still waiting on Calor and will not ask Flo Gas.

I live in Lincolnshire and at the moment LPG Home Heat seems to be best but I no nothing about them and how they with their customers.
    I would be grateful for any advise going. Meagan

We are in N. Lincs and also with Northern Energy, service is good, but they have a habit of trying to push the price up, however after discussion have (except on one occasion in the early part of this year) held the price at 47.5p (which is effectively including vat, they refund the 5% by credit note). They offer a free boiler cover which we have never had to use.

We signed up on moving into the house, as they were the incumbent supplier, but will definitely look around after our 2 years is up, as I am fed up with ringing them about the price every time we have a delivery. We use around 5-6000l per year, so should really be on a better price (as I keep reminding them!).
  • meagan
    meagan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Firstly I would like to thank Danojo and Thozza for their imput.I have spoken to the Calor Rep and he offered me 45p fixed for 6mths £100 credit I informed him that was not good enough and had had a better offer and I knew Calor could do better.We finally agreed on 43p fixed for 12mths £100 credit and if used 2000 liters within 1yr a further £100 credit

• HiEveryone,

I’ve receivedthe following offer from Calor which is based on a “Group Price “ for theestate I live on here in South Wales. I would appreciate any comments or adviceon whether this is a good deal or not.

46p/l +VAT fixed for 9 mths. Plus Standing charge of 16.9 p/day +VAT

Also a £50credit will the added to my account

Thanks

Aled
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2012 at 11:23AM
    I’ve receivedthe following offer from Calor which is based on a “Group Price “ for theestate I live on here in South Wales. I would appreciate any comments or adviceon whether this is a good deal or not.

46p/l +VAT fixed for 9 mths. Plus Standing charge of 16.9 p/day +VAT

Also a £50credit will the added to my account

Hi Aled, and welcome.

On the face of it, I would say that is NOT a particularly good price (see the previous few posts), however it will depend on a number of factors, most importantly, your projected annual usage. (I am presuming that by a "Group Price" you do mean a negotiated deal for a number of customers each with their own independent tank and not a "metered estate" which is a different kettle of fish entirely).

If you expect to be using 1000 litres a year, then perhaps this isn't such a bad price (although I would still expect you should be able to get a far better price as part of a buying group); if you're at the 4000 litres + level of usage, I would say it is a lousy price.

Of course, as you can see from the graph of LPG prices, the LPG price is rising sharply at the moment, which will affect any quote you are given; The LPG suppliers will be hedging against the possibility of a continued sharp rise. If you want to take a gamble, you could risk waiting a month or two to see if it stabilises, in which case you would very likely end up with a better deal. If, on the other hand, it keeps rising, you could very soon end up with quotes in the 50ppl territory (and if you can call that with any accuracy or certainty, you should probably give up your day job and start an LPG supply business!)
  • Hello all,

I've just bought a house in rural Kent and am discovering the joys of LPG (ha ha). Calor supplied the previous owners and have sent a letter asking us to stay with them and giving us a quote. I have since been onto the uklpg site and found that there's only Calor, BP, Flogas and Avanti supplying to our area. Just a quickie though - will absolutely all of the suppliers definitely be on that site for the postcode or is it worth googling for a few more and seeing whether they'll supply us?

Anyway, the quotes I've had so far are:

Calor: 49.4 ppl and standing charge £61.69 p.a., fixed for 6 months, no cap after then

Avanti: 44.4 ppl and standing charge £60 p.a., fixed for 6 months, subsequent cap 5p every 6 months

I'm also going to get a quote from BP but I'm just not going near Flogas. In fairness to Calor, the above quote is without me contacting them or haggling at all, which I am going to do once I've been on to BP.

In the meantime, what do you guys think of Avanti's quote? Sounds like the 5p/6 month cap might be a good thing to sign up for at the moment?

Also, I'm totally clueless about how much gas we're likely to use - there's just two of us at the moment, in a four-bed semi 1890s property, with LPG just for the heating, not cooker or fires. We're out most days except the evenings. Could someone give me a finger in the air on what we might use and/or what you use and your situation?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kate
  • I'm also going to get a quote from BP but I'm just not going near Flogas.

Ha - just read that Flogas are buying BP's LPG business! So my options are down to two :(
  • By the way, I'm in a rural Tunbridge Wells postcode, just outside Paddock Wood.

Kate
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2012 at 8:36PM
    Hello all,

I've just bought a house in rural Kent and am discovering the joys of LPG (ha ha). Calor supplied the previous owners and have sent a letter asking us to stay with them and giving us a quote. I have since been onto the uklpg site and found that there's only Calor, BP, Flogas and Avanti supplying to our area. Just a quickie though - will absolutely all of the suppliers definitely be on that site for the postcode or is it worth googling for a few more and seeing whether they'll supply us?

Anyway, the quotes I've had so far are:

Calor: 49.4 ppl and standing charge £61.69 p.a., fixed for 6 months, no cap after then

Avanti: 44.4 ppl and standing charge £60 p.a., fixed for 6 months, subsequent cap 5p every 6 months

I'm also going to get a quote from BP but I'm just not going near Flogas. In fairness to Calor, the above quote is without me contacting them or haggling at all, which I am going to do once I've been on to BP.

In the meantime, what do you guys think of Avanti's quote? Sounds like the 5p/6 month cap might be a good thing to sign up for at the moment?

Also, I'm totally clueless about how much gas we're likely to use - there's just two of us at the moment, in a four-bed semi 1890s property, with LPG just for the heating, not cooker or fires. We're out most days except the evenings. Could someone give me a finger in the air on what we might use and/or what you use and your situation?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kate
    By the way, I'm in a rural Tunbridge Wells postcode, just outside Paddock Wood.

Kate

Hi Kate - and welcome to the forum (and the wonderful world of LPG).

Sorry you only have Calor and Avanti - plus Flogas (and BP, if the take-over does NOT go through).

Paddock Wood's post code is TN12, I think, and that's just outside Rose Gas's delivery are (see http://www.rosegas.co.uk/postcodes.html ), but might be worth ringing John Rose.

You could also try Mole Valley Farmers - you need to join Mole Valley Plus (for £10 a year, I think) but you do NOT need to be a farmer. See here.

You could also try Extra Fuel (here) - they'll get another supplier to deliver (down here in Cornwall Flogas is sub-contracted - I pay Extra Fuel's price, not Flogas's!). Extra Fuel is no longer a member of uklpg.

Look back in this thread for posts about Rose Gas (from ironnick, e.g. here and his earlier posts) and posts about MVF (e.g. Rhino666 here). I think ironnick has been with Rose Gas for 3 months now so may be able to help.

There may be other independents. If you're outside Rose Gas's area you could ask if there's an independent for you. Independents' prices go up and down as the wholesale price varies - some like Extra Fuel and Cardiff Gas post their prices on the web. Watch out for Countrywide Farmers (you're not in their area so this warning is for other readers!) as their prices seem to go up ... and stay up (see several posts! ... so they are like Calor, Flogas and BP ... and, it seems, Avanti).

How much will you use? Cooking doesn't use much so it's mainly heating - and since you're out daytimes that cuts the amount too. The average use is around 2000 litres a year but you'll find people posting that they use only 1000 litres, etc. Depends how many rooms you heat, how warm, insulation, draughts, etc etc.
  • Red364
    Red364 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2012 at 10:51AM
    Well Hi Guy's and Girls....

I've been with Bendover Please LPG for years and now at their last price hike of 5p (No doubt to bulk the books for the sale to MACGAS!!) brings my litre price to 60p. :eek:

I need to change but could do with some help as to suppliers in Devon, EX20.
  • Been offered 46ppl +vat by Countrywide today, in Monmouthshire
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure