Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 10th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    • 670Posts
    • 123Thanks
    justaquestion
    PIp assessments and having a nice cup of tea.
    • 10th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    PIp assessments and having a nice cup of tea. 10th Apr 19 at 4:16 PM
    Been to a few PIP assessments now, different assessors and it all ends with, "now you can go home and have a nice cup of tea"

Thought crossed my mind do Capita actually coach them to say something like this just to send the client away on a positive mood.

Maybe just a figure of speech around my way, but so far its seems to be in pip assessments it happens.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    • 9,706 Posts
    • 11,844 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    • 10th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    If you say "yes I'll do just that" then you score zero points for cooking, eating and drinking, planning ahead, etc.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 10th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 10th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 10th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    If you say "yes I'll do just that" then you score zero points for cooking, eating and drinking, planning ahead, etc.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Thanks for that, surely not though, as it seems more of a parting statement rather than a question to asses you with?
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 10th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 10th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    If Capita was coaching its staff to appear caring and sensitive to the stress inherent in the assessment process, would that be a bad thing?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    • 9,706 Posts
    • 11,844 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    Thanks for that, surely not though, as it seems more of a parting statement rather than a question to asses you with?
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    It might seem that.

That does not mean it is.

You are being assessed from the minute you walk* into the premises until the minute you leave.

*obviously that's no points for mobility
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 9,706 Posts
    • 11,844 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    If Capita was coaching its staff to appear caring and sensitive to the stress inherent in the assessment process, would that be a bad thing?
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    It's an established and successful interrogation technique.

they even film the claimants as they are walking into the building before they have the assessment, they tell you how to do this during the training but in a subtle way.
    https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Capita-PLC/reviews?id=068d702bff8ee24c

she contradicted herself by claiming I was seen to walk without difficulty 30 metres from waiting room to the assessment room
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/work-and-pensions-committee/pip-esa-assessments-forum-17-19/?page=51 (third from bottom)
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 11th Apr 19, 2:52 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 11th Apr 19, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Apr 19, 2:52 PM
    I think you need to stop scaring people.

I had a PIP assessment and the assessor was really nice and friendly.
    I receive the enhanced rate for both components
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 9,360 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:59 AM

If they try to film you - without your permission - they are breaking all sorts of privacy laws - so I very much doubt whether this is true !
    • wild666
    • By wild666 20th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    wild666
    • 20th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    Everything they say is part of the assessment. Even when they walk you to the exit.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 21st Apr 19, 6:55 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Assessors should quote 'That's the end of the interview'
    Implying at that stage your free to say what you like -I prefer to keep it simple and thankfully them for their time.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -252 Uk pounds
    • Brian65
    • By Brian65 24th Jun 19, 7:41 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Brian65
    If they try to film you - without your permission - they are breaking all sorts of privacy laws
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    If that were true the paparazzi would not be able to make a living from photographing celebrities without their permission.
    We wouldn't even have CCTV
    Last edited by Brian65; 24-06-2019 at 7:53 PM.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 25th Jun 19, 8:20 AM
    • 9,360 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If that were true the paparazzi would not be able to make a living from photographing celebrities without their permission.
    We wouldn't even have CCTV
    Originally posted by Brian65

They are not allowed to film you without your authority
    Although DWP want to record (doesn't specify video/audio) ALL PIP assessments
    According to this old BBC article - in about 2 year time (when Capita and Atos are both sacked) - this never happened as far as I am aware !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44367420
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 25th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 15,763 Posts
    • 30,269 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Assessors should quote 'That's the end of the interview'
    Implying at that stage your free to say what you like -I prefer to keep it simple and thankfully them for their time.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    Crucially 'end of interview' need not be end of assessment. A decent amount of my PIP assessment report relates to events/observations made before the interview began and after it ended... finishing with how I was assisted out of the building.

What surprised me in recent ESA WCA assessment was that official audio recording (requested by me in advance) was started after (I do not know if standard) I would have considered even the interview to have begun.. so for example it was after introductions and 'discussion' of purpose of the assessment. I suspect again after the interview was ended will not mark the end of the recorded observations in this case.

Oh and as for the 'go home and have a nice cup of tea'.... well... I think it fair to say you'll get pleasant and unpleasant assessors... but given their focus is probably on efficiently getting information sufficient to give their opinion on descriptors relevant... I would consider they'll say, do, act in ways they feel best to achieve that with as little drama in their working day as possible. I think we all know the greeting in the waiting room 'did you get here okay?' along with how you get out of the seat begin the observations and potential recorded facts of the assessment.... and I don't think you could rule out events after the interview being relevant to assessment too. If you're being assessed regarding some regular physical disability then 'go home and have a nice cup of tea' is probably pleasantry... but I'd be thinking differently if it had been said at the end of my recent WCA interview given the condition I was in and difficulties described.

I think there can be an element of good cop/bad cop about it.... while a regular poster above had a nice and friendly assessor and got I presume a report (or ultimately decision) they (largely) agree with... there are those who describe the assessor similarly and then are rocked when they find out what was in the report. Then there are also those who report aggressive hostile assessors who provide good reports. In general I would say people are polite with you if they feel they're getting from you what they need... and I stress regarding this topic... THEY. I've found in my assessments... all 3 regarding such benefits.. that both good cop and bad cop tactics were clearly employed within each... and that was probably because in my past I literally have faced good/bad cop tactics in interviews..lol... and I respond by countering the tactic forcing it to change.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 25-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,794Posts Today

7,188Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin