Pure card received in the post

Hess_Cycle
Hess_Cycle Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 13 April 2019 at 1:01PM in Credit cards
Yesterday my daughter received one of these debit cards in the post. She is under 18 and has not applied for it and doesn’t want it. We are going to shred it and destroy it. However, I am curious as to where it has come from, as another forum stream suggested it is a work place benefits card. She is not employed. Does anyone know any more about it?

Comments

• A quick Google suggests its a Pre-Paid card and is available to under 18s.

If she never applied, I wouldn't recommend just shredding it. I'd start by raising a formal complaint with them to find out why she has been sent one, and of course, get the account closed.

Perhaps raising a Data Subject Access Request to find out all the information they hold and where/when the application was made.

If your daughter did not apply for it, it's possible someone is applying for products in her name, this is usually close family members, and this needs to be seriously looked into.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hess_Cycle wrote: »
    Yesterday my daughter received one of these debit cards in the post. She is under 18 and has not applied for it and doesn’t want it. We are going to shred it and destroy it. However, I am curious as to where it has come from, as another forum stream suggested it is a work place benefits card. She is not employed. Does anyone know any more about it?

You can't apply for a Purecard directly.

They are usually given out as a 'reward' for buying a product or service.

BT, for example, issues them to punters who sign up to some of its broadband services.

The cards are usually loaded with a specific value and can be used more or less like a normal debit card.

Cards usually can't be 'topped up' and become useless once the initial loaded value has been spent.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    It may be pre-loaded as a reward for opening a particular product.
    Has she received an offer lately for anything?

I have one as part of a benefits reward with my employer. It's topped up regularly and I can also manually top it up at a small cost which is handy as the cashback reward I get outweighs the small fee charged.

My DS also received one when he took out broadband with a provider a few years ago.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Thanks for the reply. I had googled already but you have given me another idea to try. I was also worried that her details are being used by a 3rd party but I know it is no one in the family. The only thing I can think that may have triggered it is that we took car insurance out in her name 5 months ago but that seems quite a while ago to be receiving a “benefits” card now. I will follow the route of investigation and hope I can get more clarity.
    Thanks for your advice.
  • Apart from car insurance 5 months ago she hasn’t bought any other services as she is still at school and living at home so has no need for broadband etc. I suspect it is the car insurance but why has it taken so long and why do they not give you the option and proper information about it when they arrive. These cards should not come out of the blue with no supporting info. I have rung the customer service number provided but there is no option to ask specific questions. I think I will follow the advice from the previous reply and see what info they have about her.
    Many thanks for your advice.
  • jay1804
    jay1804 Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Is she with Morethan smart wheels? Morethan gave me one after the first quarter of the policy.
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Car insurance could well be the reason for it. Often cashback/rewards are only paid several months after the policy starts so as people don't get the reward and then immediately cancel the insurance or stop paying if on monthly payments.

Are you really planning on shredding what is in effect free money?
  • Just a word of warning[: be very wary of supposedly discount cards such as PURE. They are really sheep in wolves clothing. They are a rip off.
    I had approximately £500 pounds in my card when I left my previous employer who 'kindly' allowed us to put money in PURE.
    It was a complete fraud. PURE refused to give me any discounts I earned by shopping with their list of suppliers. Adding insult to injury, then they started charging me money for having a balance in my PURE account. Have you ever heard of this where a finance company charges you money for having credit in such a card? They forget that for any purchases I made, they make 2-2.5% clear commission!!!!!!
    My advice is if anyone offers you a PURE card, bin it without even opening the letter.
  • Be wary of small print in PURE. I just got caught out.
    I used to put £120/month to PURE as they seem to offer good discounts. Unfortunately I didn't read the small print well enough - which is skewed completely in their favour. I thought this type of exploitation would be illegal in the 21st century. PURE's techniques are more akin to what used to happen in the US in the 50's!
    I left my last employer and I had about £500 credit in my PURE card. PURE refused to give me any discounts earned. Also they charged me for keeping my PURE account in credit. Have you ever heard of anything like this? They forget that they earn up to 2.5% commission for any purchases I make.

So my advice to anyone who is offered a PURD card is JUST BIN IT WITHOUT EVEN OPENING THE LETTER.
  • Be wary of small print in PURE. I just got caught out.
    I used to put £120/month to PURE as they seem to offer good discounts. Unfortunately I didn't read the small print well enough - which is skewed completely in their favour. I thought this type of exploitation would be illegal in the 21st century. PURE's techniques are more akin to what used to happen in the US in the 50's!
    I left my last employer and I had about £500 credit in my PURE card. PURE refused to give me any discounts earned. Also they charged me for keeping my PURE account in credit. Have you ever heard of anything like this? They forget that they earn up to 2.5% commission for any purchases I make.

So my advice to anyone who is offered a PURD card is JUST BIN IT WITHOUT EVEN OPENING THE LETTER.

Or read the T's and C's of the card?

Was it really so bad that you had to post about it twice in the same forum post?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure