Food budgeting tips for coeliacs?

Hello,
I am coeliac, so I struggle with food budgeting because there aren't many budget friendly food I can eat given my condition. I also have a very physical job (on a work day I consume 800-1000+ calories above the normal intake for a regular person).

Is there anybody that can offer me any tips and tricks?

Thank you!

:j
Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
:eek:.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm thinking you may get more responses on the health & beauty board- often people ask about dietary requirements.
    Also the old style thread would be somewhere to ask.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Can you get some of the basics on prescription?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    B_G_B wrote: »

Surely its better to learn how to eat without the wheat based products?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gionnetto wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am coeliac, so I struggle with food budgeting because there aren't many budget friendly food I can eat given my condition. I also have a very physical job (on a work day I consume 800-1000+ calories above the normal intake for a regular person).

Is there anybody that can offer me any tips and tricks?

Thank you!

:j

Are you meaning that basics/ ingredients (beans/ lentils/ rice/ buckwheat) that are guaranteed to be gluten-free are expensive?

Or that prepared foods or ready meals or substitutes (bread/ pasta/ breakfast cereal/ biscuits) that are guaranteed to be gluten-free are expensive?

Or indeed both?

Do you currently maintain a detailed food diary? That can be really helpful in tracking the balance of the diet, as well as where the money goes.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Surely its better to learn how to eat without the wheat based products?

Not sure what you mean. I am suggesting that gluten free products may be available to the OP on prescription. This can help with the extra cost burden.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not sure what you mean. I am suggesting that gluten free products may be available to the OP on prescription. This can help with the extra cost burden.

Have a read through the Coeliac UK guide linked to by xylophone: this style of varied, nutrient-dense wholefood diet is what we should all be eating for health.

But processed wheat has such a tight grip on the average UK diet that many of the gluten-free products available on the NHS were highly processed, highly refined starches (potato/ corn/ white rice) formed into the shape of bread, pasta or cereal.

The Free From sections in the supermarkets are even worse. Most of it is arguably not 'food', not 'basics' and not 'staples' it is junk. Ditto most of what is in the mainstream bakery and baking aisles. :(
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    gionnetto wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am coeliac

You're a fish described by zoologists and marine biologists as a "living fossil"?

Pleased to make your acquaintance.
    : )
  • suki1964

Surely not if you pay for prescriptions??
  • suki1964
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Have a read through the Coeliac UK guide linked to by xylophone: this style of varied, nutrient-dense wholefood diet is what we should all be eating for health.

But processed wheat has such a tight grip on the average UK diet that many of the gluten-free products available on the NHS were highly processed, highly refined starches (potato/ corn/ white rice) formed into the shape of bread, pasta or cereal.

The Free From sections in the supermarkets are even worse. Most of it is arguably not 'food', not 'basics' and not 'staples' it is junk. Ditto most of what is in the mainstream bakery and baking aisles. :(

Exactly what I was trying to get at

Learn how to eat a nutrionially balanced diet without having to rely on processed foods

Don't get me wrong, id hate a life without pasta, but if it was either give it up or suffer, Id give it up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure