Scammers

13»

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Been getting loads of calls most days from 020 numbers, who called me confirm that these are scam calls from people asking about benefits. Everytime I block the number they call again the next day or soon after on a different number but all begin with 020.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've told scammers who want my details that they need to ring my head office, North Wales police in Colwyn Bay as my tech bods deal with issues.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!

I usually ask 'who is trying to waste my time?' Got an abusive answer- stop wasting my time, b***ch!- the cheek of it!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,972
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.

We've had a flurry of these wretched calls. Our guess is that pressing 1 (for help) will result in a 'very helpful engineer' sweet talking you into allowing him remote access to your computer so he can fix your problem/rob you blind.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,776
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Had a call yesterday from an out of area number: a pause and then a recording starts. I just put the phone down at that point although I did hear the words "technical department" but not idea who they were claiming to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure