Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisNI
    • By ChrisNI 22nd May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 26Thanks
    ChrisNI
    US Preclearance At Dublin Airport - Worth it?
    • 22nd May 19, 11:09 AM
    US Preclearance At Dublin Airport - Worth it? 22nd May 19 at 11:09 AM
    I will be flying to the US later this year and am weighing up my options for flights and connections. It is working out a couple of hundred pounds more expensive to fly from Dublin vs Heathrow however Dublin has the benefit of US preclearance. I'm keen to hear other peoples views on whether it's worth paying a bit extra for this privilege or does it make little difference in reality.
Page 1
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 22nd May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    guiriman
    • 22nd May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 22nd May 19, 11:38 AM
    In my experience it is worth paying a bit extra, particularly if you are connecting onwards as you don't have to re-check your bags and reduce the risk of missing your connection due to border delays. I found the US agents in Dublin significantly more friendly then the ones in the States and also much less time queueing. Is it worth an extra 200 quid though? Not in my opinion, however if you are also saving time from having to travel to Heathrow and then connect that might make a difference for you
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 22nd May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 22nd May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 22nd May 19, 11:40 AM
    Yes, although 200 seems an extreme difference.
    Immigration at USA entry points can be very slow. I went to Washington a few years ago via Paris as it was a bit cheaper. Clearing at Dulles took three hours. After queuing for the first hour, I just wanted to go home.
    Any time since I’ve gone via Dublin - precleared in about 5 minutes, stroll through at the other side.
    Many English people from anywhere north of Birmingham are going to the states via Dublin these days. Ryanair to Dublin and onwards.
    What means that trump? Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 22nd May 19, 11:47 AM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 22nd May 19, 11:47 AM
    • 22nd May 19, 11:47 AM
    I’m a big fan of pre clearance in Dublin. Stride through at your US destination!

OP depending on where you are in NI you can get the air coach from Belfast to Dublin airport express for about 20 return.

I would honestly pay a bit more for the ex Dublin flight for convenience of arriving in US without having to queue for immigration, plus the hassle (and cost) of having to fly Belfast to Heathrow. It balances out I think.
    • lost1
    • By lost1 22nd May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lost1
    • 22nd May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 22nd May 19, 12:00 PM
    I flew to Newark a few years ago and went to the shortest queue and was cleared in about 10 mins. I would use Dublin if going again. Why is it taking so long for Belfast International Airport to attract a carrier to fly direct to the states?
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 22nd May 19, 12:18 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 22nd May 19, 12:18 PM
    • 22nd May 19, 12:18 PM
    Im a big fan of pre clearance in Dublin. Stride through at your US destination!

OP depending on where you are in NI you can get the air coach from Belfast to Dublin airport express for about 20 return.

I would honestly pay a bit more for the ex Dublin flight for convenience of arriving in US without having to queue for immigration, plus the hassle (and cost) of having to fly Belfast to Heathrow. It balances out I think.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Would you pay 200? I probably wouldnt, although after a couple of hours in a queue Id probably regret it.
    • ChrisNI
    • By ChrisNI 22nd May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    ChrisNI
    • 22nd May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 22nd May 19, 3:40 PM
    Thanks for all your replies. I reckon I will probably end up choosing the Dublin route as I'll have a child in tow and the thought of being stuck in long immigration queues with a young child helps make the decision more straightforward and the extra cost a bit easier to swallow
    • spo2
    • By spo2 23rd May 19, 9:48 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    spo2
    • 23rd May 19, 9:48 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 9:48 AM
    I went to US recently and didn't even consider going through England. Dublin is (for us) a two hour drive, and when you get there is is a far superior airport than either Belfast one, plus the preclearing of immigration is invaluable, as you arrive at your destination and just bypass the queues.

Unless the difference was massive, I would definitely go via Dublin
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 23rd May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 23rd May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 12:02 PM
    I went to US recently and didn't even consider going through England. Dublin is (for us) a two hour drive, and when you get there is is a far superior airport than either Belfast one, plus the preclearing of immigration is invaluable, as you arrive at your destination and just bypass the queues.

Unless the difference was massive, I would definitely go via Dublin
    Originally posted by spo2
    Parking is a nuisance though.
    • spo2
    • By spo2 23rd May 19, 2:41 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    spo2
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Not at all, I got recommendations on here as well as from a friend, and we parked in one of the airport carparks and got a shuttle (which was there waiting for us about 10m away) to the airport.
    On the way home we arrived in the early hours and when we got to the busstop there was a shuttle bus waiting as well.

Definitely preferable to flying through Heathrow in my opinion
    • jetboy
    • By jetboy 23rd May 19, 11:18 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    jetboy
    Dub preclearance would be my weapon of choice. I've regularly got stuck in immigration queues at the other side for well over an hour. If you shop around it can often been cheaper to fly via Dub than the UK although I think the cat is creeping out of that bag now. Theres no APD on Dub departures so it really should be cheaper.
    Timmay!
    • RikM
    • By RikM 24th May 19, 6:53 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    RikM
    Really? I've done the "parking on site" thing a couple of times, the "offsite with shuttle bus" and "hotel with overnight stay"...
    None of them are any more nuisance than parking normally is.

The onsite parking is pretty similar to parking in the main stay at Aldergrove.
    • joefizz
    • By joefizz 24th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    joefizz
    Yes, flew from Belfast once and was in the immigration queue for almost 3 hours! I had forgotten what it was like flying into the US from the UK!
    As with others have parked in dublin and got the shuttle, stayed overnight in hotel and got free parking for a period or like next month, just getting the bus down from glengall street.

Surprised its more expensive than via heathrow, last time I flew via heathrow it needed an overnight stay.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 24th May 19, 9:59 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Really? I've done the "parking on site" thing a couple of times, the "offsite with shuttle bus" and "hotel with overnight stay"...
    None of them are any more nuisance than parking normally is.

The onsite parking is pretty similar to parking in the main stay at Aldergrove.
    Originally posted by RikM
    Of course its fine if youve got a bit of extra time. I always use holiday blue no matter how short a time Im away. Those buses are a good service but youd better not run into problems. Last week I was talking to someone on that bus whod stepped off at the terminal and realized her driving licence was still in the car. Going back out to get the bus back to the park and then return took 45 minutes.
    Nothing like the little regional airports for parking convenience - knock, cork and Sligo and waterford when they were still going. You park almost at the door. Its an arm and a leg if you do that at Dublin.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 25th May 19, 7:12 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    RikM
    Of course its fine if youve got a bit of extra time. I always use holiday blue no matter how short a time Im away. Those buses are a good service but youd better not run into problems. Last week I was talking to someone on that bus whod stepped off at the terminal and realized her driving licence was still in the car. Going back out to get the bus back to the park and then return took 45 minutes.
    Nothing like the little regional airports for parking convenience - knock, cork and Sligo and waterford when they were still going. You park almost at the door. Its an arm and a leg if you do that at Dublin.
    Depends on how you define it...
    1 week in August - onsite is currently quoting 89 Eur, while offsite is 55 or 46 Eur... What's the cost of convenience?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,212Posts Today

8,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin