Incapacity Benefit To ESA Underpayment

Comments

• BBS19
    BBS19 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Mrsm74 - Did the number you rang start with 02382?
  • mrsm74
    mrsm74 Posts: 15 Forumite
    BBS19 the number I received from DWP to contact them about this is 08001690346. The first time I called it the guy was in processing and told me if I hadn't heard from them by 15th March, to call back. Ive called back a few times but I seem to be just speaking to ESA normal advisors who can't help me
  • BBS19
    BBS19 the number I received from DWP to contact them about this is 08001690346. The first time I called it the guy was in processing and told me if I hadn't heard from them by 15th March, to call back. Ive called back a few times but I seem to be just speaking to ESA normal advisors who can't help me

Sorry for the late reply Mrsm74, I didn’t realise you could enable notifications!

The number I’ve got (and used a few weeks ago) is 02382 368253. If I don’t hear anything in the post tomorrow, I think I’m going to try and brave it and give them another call. What’s the worst that could happen, eh? I’ll keep you posted!
  • BBS19
    UPDATE: I finally psyched myself up and phoned them today. The person I spoke to said I should hear within the next few days as it’s now been completed by the processing team. So, fingers crossed.
  • LATEST FROM DWP

In November 2018 i received communication from DWP regarding financial details linked to the transfer from IB tp ESA
    This lengthy document ESA3(IBR)was returned in line with the timescale required and i then received a request for further details which i provided As i had not received any communication i contacted the DWP by phone 3 weeks ago and to get through it took 20 minutes of waiting only to be transferred and waiting for a further 20 minutes and then was advised that there was a 12 week processing time .
    On 16 May i received a call from DWP stating that as i had reached 12 weeks since my documentation had been received it had been flagged up on the DWP system.
    I was further notified in this call that they could find no record of my file apart from the dates i had returned the documentation and that i had contacted them to chase it up
    I then was asked to answer all of the questions on the form again (including asking if my 65 yr old wife is pregnant!)which took 25 minutes and that despite already providing
    relevent confirmation documentation they would write to ask me to provide this again.
    I then asked what the timescale would for processing this and was advised it could take 12 weeks again despite the failings on their part
    My benefit was never earnings related so i was somewhat surprised to once again have to provide these details again and when asked if there could be some notification on the progress of my file however they could not provide this due to it being provided by a different department
    I am aware of the DWP reputation and the millions spent but this really is amazing that this really frustrating and to what end ,i don't know if or when i will receive any payment due,Also the attitude is the forms are manually processed and can become lost when they know when the form was dispatched and received and that they flagged the form up as overdue for descision.
    Is it me or is just a way to put people off from continuing and there is no detail of what money may be awarded if indeed any
    Is there any help or advice you can provide
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    LATEST FROM DWP

In November 2018 i received communication from DWP regarding financial details linked to the transfer from IB tp ESA
    This lengthy document ESA3(IBR)was returned in line with the timescale required and i then received a request for further details which i provided As i had not received any communication i contacted the DWP by phone 3 weeks ago and to get through it took 20 minutes of waiting only to be transferred and waiting for a further 20 minutes and then was advised that there was a 12 week processing time .
    On 16 May i received a call from DWP stating that as i had reached 12 weeks since my documentation had been received it had been flagged up on the DWP system.
    I was further notified in this call that they could find no record of my file apart from the dates i had returned the documentation and that i had contacted them to chase it up
    I then was asked to answer all of the questions on the form again (including asking if my 65 yr old wife is pregnant!)which took 25 minutes and that despite already providing
    relevent confirmation documentation they would write to ask me to provide this again.
    I then asked what the timescale would for processing this and was advised it could take 12 weeks again despite the failings on their part
    My benefit was never earnings related so i was somewhat surprised to once again have to provide these details again and when asked if there could be some notification on the progress of my file however they could not provide this due to it being provided by a different department
    I am aware of the DWP reputation and the millions spent but this really is amazing that this really frustrating and to what end ,i don't know if or when i will receive any payment due,Also the attitude is the forms are manually processed and can become lost when they know when the form was dispatched and received and that they flagged the form up as overdue for descision.
    Is it me or is just a way to put people off from continuing and there is no detail of what money may be awarded if indeed any
    Is there any help or advice you can provide
    Whether or not you're one of those that are owed money will totally depend on your circumstances during the time you claimed ESA. This includes a partner that worked, pensions, partner claiming other means tested benefits etc.

The question about your partner being pregnant is just standard questions on the form the adviser was reading from.

You could put in a complaint about the form being lost but other than that all you can do is wait.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It’s not a plot to stop people getting their money. It’s just inefficiency in the process.

As poppy has said, the questions on the form are the questions on the form, if it says to ask if someone is pregnant then that question should be asked. I asked it of 16 year old males and 55+ year old females.
  • BBS19
    FINAL UPDATE: I *finally* received the brown envelope in the post on Saturday morning. Nearly 6 months to the day that I originally sent the form back! I’ve been issued a back-payment from when I migrated to ESA(C) in 2012. I’m sure I’m not alone in saying this, but that extra £16.80 each week will be a big help.

Keeping everything crossed that you hear really soon, Mrsm74.

To all the moderators on the forum. You all do an AMAZING job! Thank you :-)
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    BBS19 wrote: »
    FINAL UPDATE: I *finally* received the brown envelope in the post on Saturday morning. Nearly 6 months to the day that I originally sent the form back! I’ve been issued a back-payment from when I migrated to ESA(C) in 2012. I’m sure I’m not alone in saying this, but that extra £16.80 each week will be a big help.

Keeping everything crossed that you hear really soon, Mrsm74.

To all the moderators on the forum. You all do an AMAZING job! Thank you :-)

That’s great to hear.:D
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I sent my form (approximately) 4th April and had the expected outcome back today, no money due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure