Having children but sure if you really want to.

Comments

• CruisingSaver
    CruisingSaver Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    As others have already said it can only be your decision.

I always wanted children but was told I would be unlikely to have them due to medical issues, which was difficult to come to terms with.

About a year or so later I found myself unexpectedly pregnant and we were overjoyed.

I had a very difficult and traumatic birth and suffered from PND as a result but our daughter, who's nearly 20 now, has been the greatest joy in our lives.

I'm fortunate to have a very successful career and achieved a lot along the way, but none of it compares to being a Mum. My only regret is that I was unable to have any more.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Me and my OH have been together for 31 years, he has never wanted children, I wasn't fussed either way in my late teens / early 20's.
    Then on our first holiday away we were sat outside having a drink at a pub and the weather turned, we decided to go inside, another couple couldn't has they had children. No under 18's in the pub (it is going back a bit) That made the decision for me and I've never regretted it for one moment. That was about 22 years ago.

I honestly can not see anything rewarding about having children. I mean no offence by that, just my opinion. All I see is a lifetime of worrying about them.

My Mum used to say that although she loved me and my brother and wouldn't change us for the world, if she had her time again she would never have married and had children. It was what you did back then in 1966.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I didn’t think that I would ever have kids, I married a horrible man in my 20’s and would never have had a child with him, he was a violent drunk.

I was quite happy to grow old with my flat and my two cats, when I met my second husband. He already had a couple of kids, plus numerous step-children. I always told him that I didn’t plan on having any children, assuming that he was quite happy with his brood already.

But I guess my biological clock kicked in and we decided to go for it. I got pregnant quite quickly, before we were married, and our son was born when I was 33 years old. He was, and still is, the light of my life. He’s bone-idle, messy, a bit of a scruffy git and has never learned how to clean the bathroom, or hang up his clothes. But he is kind and generous, has lovely manners, he’s never brought trouble to our door and is funny, quick-witted and has a smile which lights up the room.

He was a great kid, hard work at times (never slept for long!) but such a happy little soul. Even as a teenager, he wasn’t too much trouble, although he did disappear into his room and we didn’t see him again for around two years, unless he wanted cash or food...:rotfl:

I’ve never regretted him for a moment, despite never having a nice car, or exotic holidays, or loads of spare cash. Funnily enough, we’re going on our first foreign holiday for many years soon, me and my husband are off to a swanky hotel in the Canaries and our son is jetting off with the lads to Aiya Napa....we’re more worried about leaving him at the airport than we were on his first day at school!

It’s true...children are hard work, expensive and very tiring, certainly for the first few years. But the time passes so quickly, every so often, I look at him and wonder where my little boy has gone. I also wonder where all the food has gone....they never stop eating!!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    Kids...ha...I'd rather have the above

This means you think you have to choose.

I didn't say you had to choose between...but I'll bet you a shiny penny someone without kids has a much better chance of achieving that lifestyle.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't say you had to choose between...but I'll bet you a shiny penny someone without kids has a much better chance of achieving that lifestyle.

You're probably right. It's just not a lifestyle a lot of people aspire to, me included. My kids never prevented me from having holidays, eating out, doing what I want when I wanted, you can have both. If you want to.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You probably won’t be able to live up to your user name if you decide to have children!

Regret the things you do not the things you don’t do.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I’ve always known that I would never want children. I’ve often been surprised by the answers people give as to why they decided to have children. Things like ‘I need someone to look after me when I’m old’ (So, born with a job), or ‘I liked the thought of living on forever through my genes’ (which again seems self-centred). Other people didn’t have a reason at all, just apathy about birth control. With many people, it isn’t that they want children, it’s a fear of regret.

To me, none of these are good enough reasons. I think the only people who should have children are those who desperately want them and literally cannot bear the thought of life without them.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2019 at 3:56PM
    I never really wanted children and do not regret it (mid-forties). My favourite aunt (eighty) never really wanted children and does not regret it. She believes her mother did not want children either, and tried to prevent it!

Not every human nor every other creature is a natural parent with their own offspring: some are disinterested, some are neglectful and some are cruel.

Having children so someone can look after you when you get older is the height of stupidity as well as deeply selfish. There is no guarantee the child(ren) will be resident in the same country as you, no guarantee have sufficient free time (working long hours to support their own family), they may have health problems of their own, or you may have a difficult relationship.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've actually been told I'm selfish for not wanting children!!! As if it automatically makes you a "me, me, me" person.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Claddagh_Noir Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I've actually been told I'm selfish for not wanting children!!! As if it automatically makes you a "me, me, me" person.

You should just respond to that by saying 'who exactly and I being selfish to?' That will usually shut the person up, or give them enough rope to hang themselves if they start banging on about your children that do not exist. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure