Being pressured to contribute towards fence

Ok, so some time ago, the owner of the house behind ours knocked on our door and told us that the following day, the fence in between our gardens was being replaced so to keep our dogs inside and asked if we would be wanting to contribute. I said I would be willing to when I can afford it, and he went on his way.

About a week later he came round and told me that my contribution would be £368 (for my share of 6 panels, concrete base boards and concrete posts inc labour). He has asked a few times since for the money and I’ve been honest about my financial situation in that I cannot currently afford it.

My question is, where do I stand legally? He did not consult me before ordering the fence to see if I could afford to contribute, and has not discussed with me the type of fence or anything. It seems he wanted new fence and then expects me to just have the money.

I appreciate it’s between both our gardens and I’ve never said I don’t want to contribute, but he is obviously disappointed that I can’t afford it and has now taken to messaging my works Facebook page asking about what we do when people don’t pay money they owe.

Technically, I don’t feel I ‘owe’ them anything as any contribution would be wholly voluntary, but if they are going to cause problems for me at work, I’m going to be less inclined to give them anything and it’s going to cause issues down the line I feel.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So what is your question?
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DUTR wrote: »
    So what is your question?

Copied from my post:

My question is, where do I stand legally?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2018 at 6:09AM
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Legally unless you can claim what he has done is threatening or harassment I doubt there is much you can do.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tell him you will pay when you can but if there are any more Facebook or twitter tricks (or whatever it is people use these days), zero money will be coming his way.[/FONT]
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gazfocus wrote: »
    I said I would be willing to when I can afford it, and he went on his way.

You have said that you want to contribute; but you have not agreed to any contract to pay towards the fence.
    You are being harrased for money, its up to you what you do about that. You could contribute £200/£300 towards the fence, or tell your neighbour to get lost.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    the fence in between our gardens was being replaced so to keep our dogs inside

do you mean your dogs and they were getting out of your property?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    do you mean your dogs and they were getting out of your property?

Oddly enough when you’re putting up a new fence dogs would get our, hence neighbour giving prior warning of works to prevent this happening.
  • Hi,

if he wants to put up a new fence it's his choice and at his cost.

Tell him you will 'contribute' by painting your side of the fence every couple of years in a colour of your choice.

Or,,,,, you could knock down the new fence and put one up yourself and ask him for cash.
  • Tell him it was his choice to replace the fence with no discussion or agreement from you to contribute. So you won't be paying.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Oddly enough when you’re putting up a new fence dogs would get our, hence neighbour giving prior warning of works to prevent this happening.

thanks a misread
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2018 at 8:02AM
    Where you went wrong, by the sound of it, was saying that you would be willing to contribute. He's taken you exactly at your word and thought "He's said he's willing to pay towards it".

He won't have paid much heed to the addition to the sentence of "....when I can afford it".

It sounds like you phrased your response to him incorrectly and should have said "I'd be willing to IN PRINCIPLE - but I don't know when I will be able to afford it. So if you're waiting on a contribution from me towards it - then I'll have to let you know when I do have the money". If you'd phrased it that way then it would have meant = you'll let him know when you do have the money.

From the sound of the way you actually phrased it - then it does sound like you'd better pay. It's only around £300 and it is your dogs that are being kept in (which is your responsibility to do).

With the amount of money in question (ie around £300) I would think most people would interpret the phrase "When I have the money" as meaning = that will be at the end of the month, when my salary goes into the bank. I know I would interpret it that way and only reckon "when I have the money" as being some months away/a year or two away if it was around £3,000 (as that's a noticeable amount of money to have to find for many people).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure