PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    I struggled round Mr T's this morning full of cold and germs (needed to get medicine) and it was so quiet that I decided to do the weekly shop today instead of tomorrow and managed to spend £40.10 out of a £50 weekly budget - quite pleased with that as it did include cold and flu stuff, tissues, extra fruit for vitamins and some cleaning and laundry stuff.
    I had done a meal plan and shopping list and don't think we'll need anything else until next weekend so hopefully I'm under budget for the week - could do with it too as I'm hoping to save about £70 from the month's wages to help put some cash back in the emergency account after Xmas (up to £45 now so will be over £100 if I can control my spending for another 10 days - want to get to £500 over 6 months).
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    bramble1 wrote: »
    Is it really more expensive? :( I was hoping to make fresh pasta once a week instead of buying the dried stuff.

Quick post as it's cooking now.

The flour was £1.19 as you need 00 flour.

The recipe called for 500g flour and 5 large eggs, plus semolina for dusting, although you can use ordinary flour.

We have made tagliatelle and used half the flour, but can buy a huge bag of already made stuff for 59p.

Will let you know how it turns out though :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • jjef
    jjef Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    Count me in for this month although the month runs from the 18th - 17th, so up until 18th Jan I hope to only spend £120. After that i am hoping to have worked out an annual budget to take account of bulk buying.

Have already picked up some tips here so off to read some more.
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Quick post as it's cooking now.

The flour was £1.19 as you need 00 flour.

The recipe called for 500g flour and 5 large eggs, plus semolina for dusting, although you can use ordinary flour.

We have made tagliatelle and used half the flour, but can buy a huge bag of already made stuff for 59p.

Will let you know how it turns out though :)

Let me know how it is! I think i'm going to make fresh regardless. :D

How many does that amount serve? There is only 2 of us here!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My first go at this!

Please can I join in for £80 monthly?

THANKS
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 January 2011 at 7:47PM
    Happy New Year!

hello and welcome to all our newbies and welcome back to our returners :hello:

Helen Jelly, good to see you, I was wondering where you were ;)

Re what to include in the GC, as has been said you set your challenge up however it suits you best, some people keep separate budgets for alcohol, celebrations, pets etc which is useful if you're keeping an eye on your total spends

and I think it helps to check in here often as it keeps us motivated, some people post weekly, some more often, some less, its up to you but it does help focus on the budget :D

good luck everyone! ;)

eta: XSpender - cheese and parsnip loaf is now in the index, thank you, it sounds lush! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Is it possible to join you all in this? Have been needing to sort out food spends for a while now, so this should help...

For 2 of us, to start with.....I'm going for £150 this month, but that also includes all gluten and lactose free foods, anf stuff we need to start getting ot make soups/stews etc
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Rosieben - hello, I got a bit ahead of myself and thought I had spending under control, a few months down the line and I realise now that I hadn't so new year and fresh start but with alot more determination this time. DH has been spoken too about his spending habits especially on booze lol. It was nice to come back on here and see so many names from before and so many new people too - shows that this site works - people are going to need more and more help as the cutbacks bite though.

Going to Sainsbug tomorrow to get some offers that were cheaper than MrT - will update siggy after the shop

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 January 2011 at 8:18PM
    helen jelly - nice of you to use my photo as your avatar :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NSD here today & I have done an inventory of my freezer and found quite a bit in there. I also have lots of pasta, potatoes & rice so should "in theory" be ok for a while!

By the way, happy new year everyone!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure