The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 12:58PM
    I think the frequency of 'sod it moments' may be slightly due to the time of year. Most of us have finished our summer breaks and are now back at the coalface, knowing that the next break we'll get is Christmas. I think it's too long, I really do. (The other time of year this feeling happens is early February - Christmas is well and truly over, the weather's merde, and it's a looooong time until Easter.) Even if it's only a weekend away, if we can have something lovely to look forward to it might help with the generally low feeling that seems to set in with the rain about this time of year.

I still get sod it moments, but they're always about chocolate now, hence the chunky middle I carry around all the time now. I need to look forward to something, obviously.

8/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good afternoon,
    4 AFD please Shagg.
    Have a lovely weeekend.
    Arkers x
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    I think the frequency of 'sod it moments' may be slightly due to the time of year. Most of us have finished our summer breaks and are now back at the coalface, knowing that the next break we'll get is Christmas. I think it's too long, I really do. (The other time of year this feeling happens is early February - Christmas is well and truly over, the weather's merde, and it's a looooong time until Easter.) Even if it's only a weekend away, if we can have something lovely to look forward to it might help with the generally low feeling that seems to set in with the rain about this time of year.

I still get sod it moments, but they're always about chocolate now, hence the chunky middle I carry around all the time now. I need to look forward to something, obviously.

8/30 please, Shaggy.

Wise words as usual HB

I caved last night, stressful day and I felt I deserved a treat. Did do 4 days straight, so fairly happy.

Driving tonight so 6/18 please shaggy.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • I agree with you HB, but I can't really use that excuse as we haven't had a summer holiday. I suppose I do feel in need of one (we went away in May). Next one will be probably end November. We are buying a small place abroad so will need to go out there for completion (hopefully)
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good to see you posting again arkers.:)

I'm back from a few days away. As anticipated they were low alcohol but not all AF. Tuesday I shared a bottle of wine, Wednesday 1 G&T (didn't share that;)) and yesterday nothing at all!:eek:

Thinking back I've made massive progress since joining the thread. There was a time when I'd have had a bottle of wine in my room and never gone to bed without a nightcap.

2 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • 5/24 please

Had Coke at lunch. Very suprised at self control. With mega supportive friend who is so helpful and kind always.
    Very pleased because now I have my evening free and can get my flat sorted for the weekend or watch a film or read a book. Really anything at all rather than feeling knackered and useless.

Wine at lunchtime should not be the norm. I need to get out of this habit.

Thank you all for posting. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    7/25 AFDs and the Great North Run on Sunday!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 9/21 for me today and best of luck Barny :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Wine at lunchtime should not be the norm. I need to get out of this habit.

Thank you all for posting. xxx

I'm hopeless with wine at lunchtime. It always makes me incredibly sleepy. I enjoy it at the time but not the consequences. Last time I did it on holiday I fell asleep awkwardly on a sun lounger and then suffered from a bad back for days. I should know better.:o
    I've woken up with a horrible headache this morning. I only had a few, well diluted gins last night but I suppose if it walks and talks like a hangover then it must be one.:(

Rooting for you on Sunday Barny!:T
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 September 2017 at 2:07PM
    *Healing vibes* for the pain, Maman.

Just because you didn't have a holiday in the middle of the summer Elusive Lucy doesn't mean the days drawing in and a bucket of rain every few minutes aren't a bit depressing. I love the autumn but still .... I hope the abroad thing goes smoothly.

Lunchtime drinking was, very fortunatley for me, just about the only booze habit I never developed. I can still remember my first lunchtime drink, in the Pepper Pot in Dock Street in London and it seemed like a good idea at the time because everyone else did it, and how I had to drag myself, literally, around the office when I went back to work that afternoon. I knew then it wasn't for me and the only time I ever did after that was at golden wedding anniversaries for some reason. And that always ended up with me being in bed by about 7.00 pm because I just couldn't keep going. I have absolutely no idea how anyone manages to drink in the middle of the day and keep functioning in any capacity afterwards because it's always been the same with me. Even Christmas ....

9/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family