Homeserve Boiler Replacement

Hi there,

Quick question....I'm on a package where they state that if the boiler packs in they'll replace it and if its over 7 years old you only pay for installation.

Has anyone had any experience of this and is it any good?

I mean...
1) Is the boiler they replace it with any good?
2) Are there a variety of boilers and you can pay more for a better one?
3) Is the installation cost comparatively high so you're not really getting a good deal through the insurance?

Thanks.

AMO

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Shouldn’t you confirm these detials before signing up?

If you don’t know all the details will be in the contract document.

However I woudn’t trust Homeserve to replace a bath plug, never mind a boiler.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    At Homeserves installation costs you would be as well getting the boiler you want from a local installer, it will still be cheaper.
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    edited 26 December 2017 at 1:51PM
    -This is what I found when my boiler went on the blink with a part unavailable.

They supplied me with a boiler the equivalent of the one I had, it wasn't the same brand though, mines was a 18 year old Worcester Bosch though, they installed a Ideal boiler, they would not let me upgrade the boiler even though I was offering to pay the extra.

The installer was the company that did my servicing. I looked around online to see how much boiler supplied was, it was around £800 to £900, fitting was around £1100 if I remember correctly? it worked in around £400 cheaper than I was getting quoted for someone else to supply and install.

So far no problems with it. all in all ok, but I was a little annoyed I couldn't upgrade the boiler to the ideal+ with the 7 year warranty as opposed to the ideal with 2 year warranty
  • dld2s
    I should add,

If I had not been told my job was under the threat of redundancy I would probably have gone for the more expensive quote as it was a Worcester Bosch with 10 year warranty.

On homeserve, despite all the negative reviews, I found them okay (not brilliant, a little slow at getting back to you sometimes) but all previous repairs under the warranty were fixed with no problems)
  • AMO
    AMO Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Shouldn’t you confirm these detials before signing up?

If you don’t know all the details will be in the contract document.

However I woudn’t trust Homeserve to replace a bath plug, never mind a boiler.

Normally you'd be right, but certain types of work require quotes because properties are different which affects effort. Therefore Homeserve cannot tell me this, but I am asking those that have had experience whether they thought they got good value on a replacement.
  • dld2s wrote: »
    So far no problems with it. all in all ok, but I was a little annoyed I couldn't upgrade the boiler to the ideal+ with the 7 year warranty as opposed to the ideal with 2 year warranty

It’s the same boiler the + stands for more money
    Ps keep up the insurance you will need it
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • dld2s
    Yea, I had to think hard about it as I had read ideal weren't the most reliable of boilers, although the newer models seemed to be better? but with the threat of redundancy and trying like mad to clear debt every £ was a prisoner and the £400 saved made a dent in at least one of my bills, otherwise I would probably have gone for the Bosch one and just not bothered with the homeserve claim offer, possibly a bit short termism? who knows, time will tell, but hey, needs must and all that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure