PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller Wants Access For 6 Months After Completion

Comments

• Why would they need access at all, what would they need to inspect, even after a repo??
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Margot123 wrote: »
    If it's a repo then it wouldn't seem unreasonable for the seller to want access for inspection.

Why?

Do you mean the seller - the corporate seller mentioned in the OP - or the previous owner, from whom the house has been repossessed, and who is no longer an owner, nor anyone with an interest in the property?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    googler wrote: »
    Why?

Do you mean the seller - the corporate seller mentioned in the OP - or the previous owner, from whom the house has been repossessed, and who is no longer an owner, nor anyone with an interest in the property?

It may be that the previous owner, the one that lost the property due to the repossession, has the right to retrieve property for 6 months.

The clock would start from the date of repossession.

I would think that this is a clause that the corporate seller would be unlikely to enact.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    silvercar wrote: »
    It may be that the previous owner, the one that lost the property due to the repossession, has the right to retrieve property for 6 months.

The clock would start from the date of repossession.

I would think that this is a clause that the corporate seller would be unlikely to enact.

... so the corporate seller gives the previous owner their six months, and THEN sells the house, surely?

Seriously, you're suggesting that the house has been repossessed, the prev owner hasn't taken their goods, chattels and possessions, and the new owner must guard them for six months?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NO that's daft, owners losing a house getting reposessed have to get their stuff out before the repo.

OP, no need for anything dramatic, or phone calls/emails. Just get your conveyancer to amend the contract, remove that clause before signing and returning (and in your case I'd be looking to do this in person, or proof reading a copy to make sure it has been done and not missed).
  • Thank you for all the replies.

To shed a bit more light on a couple of points made, the property is completely empty with all previous possessions already removed. And a further clause in the contract states all fixtures, fittings and contents currently in the property are included in the sale. So, a grace period to allow the previous owner to collect their things doesn't seem likely for those reasons.

So - the purpose of the clause is still a complete mystery to me; perhaps, as has been suggested above, it was simply copied and pasted in by mistake. That said, I really can't think of a (good) reason why a clause such as that would exist in any contract. I'll clarify with my conveyancer when they're back in the office next week.

Thanks again :)
  • Assuming that you will do the sensible thing and change all the locks as soon as you move in you shouldn't have a problem.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    G_M wrote: »
    I've seen this before in relation to repos.

I did get an explanation but I've forgotten it!

Speak to your conveyancer.

I agree, it's been mentioned before on the forum. There is a reason but I can't think what it is. It particularly relates to it being a repo. If it isn't that the repossessed may have a reason to retrieve something then it could be that if the repossessed challenged the final selling price the company you are buying from may need to send in an independent valuer.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • dickibobboy
    dickibobboy Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had this on my repo house for 12 months. I questioned it and it was to do with if the previous owner queried the price etc they could request it to be looked into where the bank (who repossessed) would inspect and value the house to ensure everything was done fair.
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time :beer:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Probably worth having a really good look through for other non standard clauses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure