Why isn't 2GB RAM enough for my W8.1 laptop?

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    what looks like photographic negative film at the bottom. What's that all about?

That will probly be a ribbon cable possibly for the keyboard, be careful, I have ripped those in the past :(
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    WHY do you need Trusteer Rapport??? Never ever used it, its awful...

How many anti-phising programs do you need, if your answer = more than none then your wrong..

You appear to have security issues in many senses of the word. Scale back, one firewall that is just a firewall and one av thats just an AV without all the junk they wish to push onto you.

You hibernate so the OS doesnt get a clean start, all the junk stuck in the memory and not freeing it is still taking it up.

Start by dumping all that junk and give it a proper shutdown and restart.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Start by dumping all that junk and give it a proper shutdown and restart.
    Be aware that (unless you changed the default Fast Startup setting) a 'proper shutdown' isn't achieved by selecting 'Shut Down'. (Because the default version is a type of Hibernate.)

However a Restart is always a proper Restart.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:46PM
    AndyPix wrote: »
    That will probly be a ribbon cable possibly for the keyboard, be careful, I have ripped those in the past :(
    I thought only typewriters had those! It's actually a sheet which covers the entire base of said tray, which is about 4" x 3". It's screwed to a larger rectangle of plastic, which itself has its own set of screws, so I'm unsure which rectangle to unscrew! Things were much easier on the Asus Eee....
    How many anti-phishing programs do you need, if your answer = more than none then you're wrong..
    That made me laugh! I guess I'm trying to compensate for only using the free version of Panda.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 6:17PM
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is running a 64-bit operating system with just 2GB of ram as that version of the OS needs more ram (as do any 64-bit applications) than a 32-bit version.

Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    Utter codswallop. Why do people continue to trot out this rubbish? 64 bit versions of Windows ALLOW YOU TO USE MORE RAM than 32 bit versions, due to the fact the maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4GB, they don't require more. With two equivalent installations of Windows, one 32 bit and one 64bit, you'll see maybe at most 100MB difference in memory usage..

Okay... but since OP only has 2Gb of physical ram, an argument about being able to address more ram would seem irrelevant.

100MB would be 5% of 2GB - that seems pretty signifcant to me, when you're running short.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Around 20 squid for 2gig.

I remember paying £100+ for a 16k ram pack (yep K)

#reminisces

ZX81 perchance?? ;)

to the OP:- check out blackviper's W7 configurations, and see how much unneeded startup crap you can disable, makes a LOT of difference, you do this via Services, found in Control Panel . Administrative Tools....those, along with turning off all the third-party programs & services from startup, will help a lot :)

http://www.blackviper.com/

note - some of the programs can be stopped from starting up using msconfig, but I tend to find it cleaner via Services..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    ZX81 perchance..

Ahh - yes exactly :) ..

1K Ram, no colour or sound .. Those were the days . etc :)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Ahh - yes exactly :) ..

1K Ram, no colour or sound .. Those were the days . etc :)

me too :D

...and only needed 1K to play basic space invaders - we're probably talking 200+MEG these days :rotfl:
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tarambor wrote: »
    What Johnmcl7 said is perfectly true, however I suspect you are misinterpretating what they said. 64-bit Windows does use more memory and harddrive space. Although what you said about 64-bit allowing the computer to use more RAM is true. However the keyword here is "allowing" - just as it allows more RAM, it also consumes more resources.

Here is the proof from my virtual machine.

32-bit RAM usage:
    rtnodh.png

32-bit harddrive usage:
    2q9wbqx.png

64-bit RAM usage:
    2qjj3g5.png

64-bit harddrive usage:
    25uicqt.png

I am sure you will agree that the 64-bit version of Windows is using more RAM and storage space than 32-bit Windows in the above images. The system was left idle for several minutes after installing Windows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure