MOT exempt

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You may have missed the subtle detail that the average new car now is in the £30 VED band. What do you think that's done to total government receipts from VED?
    No it's not - it is £140
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OK, yes - since this April it is. My apologies for not being clearer. I should have said "before this change".

Thank you for so eloquently demonstrating my point, however.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What Joe says.

Also, if you're worried about emissions: older vehicles tend to be used for small mileages at weekends. It's the newer ones that are being thrashed endlessly up the motorway doing 40-50k miles a year. Which group do you think creates the most emissions overall?

I'd like all vehicles to be non-polluting if possible, but in the real world it is sensible to concentrate on where the problem is most acute.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Why on earth has the government decided to exempt all 40+ year old cars, from MOT tests

Because there's an EU-wide directive that says they must do so, as I understand it.

50Twuncle wrote: »
    Surely - it is these old bangers that are likely to have dodgy brakes and are going to cause accidents

I don't think the statistics back you up on that.

As I said in another thread on this subject, there's probably more chance of being hit by an uninsured, unroadworthy modern car driven by someone without a license than someone driving a car from the affected years.

Even as the cut-off year moves forward and brings in more powerful cars, and cars that might be reasonable to drive as daily drivers, there still isn't vast numbers of them sitting around waiting to come back to life. And fewer still when you take into account that the majority of owners will still be responsible people who will look after their cars.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    You know what it is, and I experience it when I drive my kitcar, people think you're cheating, driving an older car when other people feel they have to pay large sums of money for their new ones, they think your not paying your dues, tax, insurance, MOT, garage repair bills, all the things they have to pay and they assume you don't.
    Ultimately you're seen as unwilling to conform and nothing angers the sheep more than someone who doesn't conform.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    Because there's an EU-wide directive that says they must do so, as I understand it.
    Kinda, but not quite.

There's a 2014 EU directive, which must be implemented by mid-May next year, that says that the bare minimum any country can have a historic vehicle exemption from roadworthiness testing is 30yrs, and any exemption must only apply to vehicles that are broadly to original spec. Anything above and beyond that is down to the countries. There doesn't have to be an exemption at all.

The UK's 1960 exemption fits the "minimum 30yo". It doesn't fit the originality test, because it applies to everything pre 1960.

So the UK had a choice to fit with the directive - introduce an originality test, or bin the pre-60 exemption completely. Bringing it forward to 40yo is ENTIRELY the UK's choice...
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    why should an old banger
    An old banger?! A 10-20 year old car is an old banger. A 30+year old car is a classic, and there should be certain privileges associated with that. Motoring heritage and all that. There's certainly no-one profiting from running these oldies.
    Imagine in 50 years if all the petrol cars were scrapped, letting some kid hear what a V8 engine sounded like?!
    that puts out unlimited amounts of CO and pollutants
    Very limited actually - they'll mostly be on limited annual mileage insurance, unless you're seeing people commuting in these cars daily.
    The government claims that it is trying to reduce CO emissions - but by doing this - they prove otherwise !
    They have openly STOPPED taxing cars based on their CO2 emissions from April this year. If you still want to be taxed on this basis, feel free to buy one of the thousands of cars registered from 2001-2017 which are taxed on CO2 emissions.
    They have completely removed the incentive for people to go green.....

No, they have redefined 'green'. Only electric cars (and hydrogen) are green, and pay £0 tax. There's your incentive.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    droopsnoot wrote: »

The EU directive allows them to do it, it doesn't force them. In fact it allows them to set the limit at 30 years.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20141203191730/http://www.dft.gov.uk/classic-mot/background/
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strider590 wrote: »
    You know what it is, and I experience it when I drive my kitcar, people think you're cheating, driving an older car when other people feel they have to pay large sums of money for their new ones, they think your not paying your dues, tax, insurance, MOT, garage repair bills, all the things they have to pay and they assume you don't.
    Ultimately you're seen as unwilling to conform and nothing angers the sheep more than someone who doesn't conform.

You are Tommy saxendale and I claim my £5.
  • Do you have any idea how much work can go into maintaining a car of that age?! Trust me - no (running) car of over forty years old will be a 'banger'.

As for the pollution aspect, I don't really care. My car is twenty-five years old so not exempt of tax or MOT in any case, but it's better looked after than some of the younger cars on the road today - and I will continue to drive it and maintain it as long as I see fit.

I'm far more worried about the 2-year-old cars with bald tyres because they're MOT exempt and their owners don't know or care to check them before the first MOT is due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure