MOT exempt

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Why on earth has the government decided to exempt all 40+ year old cars, from MOT tests
Surely - it is these old bangers that are likely to have dodgy brakes and are going to cause accidents
And what about pollution ?
These old carburettored cars - are going to emit heaps of CO and other nasties (particularly pre 78 diesels) - we have all seen old ex-taxi mercs emitting smoke
What a stupid idea

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Where are you seeing this? The current situation is that cars built between 1960 and 1977 need an MoT but don't pay VED. Only cars bult before 1960 don't need a MoT, and I'd guess that anyone who runs one that old will make sure it is roadworthy.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 4:09PM
    There is a legal obligation to make sure they are roadworthy.

There are plans to extend the scheme to 40+ year old cars. With regard to safety, in another recent thread on the topic, somebody pointed out that very few accidents are the result of vehicle defects. The total mileage of these vehicles is likely to be low so the effect on pollution is unlikely to be significant when compared to the combined effect of several million younger vehicles on the road.
  • Try insuring one if you dont mot it ......
  • Gloomendoom
    Forumite
    DELLBOY wrote: »
    Try insuring one if you dont mot it ......

I haven't had a problem insuring my MoT exempt car. However, the number of pre 1960 cars on the road is so small that the risk to insurers is minimal. If the exemption is relaxed to 40+ the numbers will increase substantially so I can see this changing.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this? The current situation is that cars built between 1960 and 1977 need an MoT but don't pay VED. Only cars bult before 1960 don't need a MoT, and I'd guess that anyone who runs one that old will make sure it is roadworthy.
    It was announced a few weeks ago, effective from May 2018.

The consultation response document explains it all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644412/government-response-to-exempting-vehicles-of-historical-interest-from-roadworthiness.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    Forumite
    There is a legal obligation to make sure they are roadworthy.

I saw an S registered bus last week, loads of smoke from the exhaust, but I assume it had passed a MOT. The MOT should have tighter standards.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I saw an S registered bus last week, loads of smoke from the exhaust, but I assume it had passed a MOT. The MOT should have tighter standards.
    I assume you mean S prefix (1998), but even if you mean S suffix (1977), then it'll still need MOTing - trucks and buses won't be exempted from the MOT.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Why on earth has the government decided to exempt all 40+ year old cars, from MOT tests
    Surely - it is these old bangers that are likely to have dodgy brakes and are going to cause accidents
    And what about pollution ?
    These old carburettored cars - are going to emit heaps of CO and other nasties (particularly pre 78 diesels) - we have all seen old ex-taxi mercs emitting smoke
    What a stupid idea

Good job assuming all owners of these cars treat them like the throw away items that modern cars are.......
    They'll be in better condition than most MOT passable cars will be.

If people are going to get their ar5e in a sling over the cost of an MOT and the emissions on a car that probably does less than 500 miles a year, then I think MSE motoring forums has reached an all time low.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Gloomendoom
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »

I've seen modern diesels do the same and wondered how the pass an MoT.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This also means that road tax will be free as well !!
    What about I buy an old Jaguar - fit a new engine and gearbox and then slowly replace all of the body panels - suspension components, brakes, exhaust etc etc - when does the pre-78 car become new - \and subject to MOT and Road tax ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure