LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Comments

• lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Well... !!!!!! !!!! :rotfl: I'm still here. Trains and buses were still cancelled at 10am but we had arranged a taxi to the airport (£40 :eek: but we were willing to pay it if it meant we got to go).

Got a message on the Easy jet app at about half ten saying the flight was cancelled. They gave an option of a refund or reschedule but that rescheduling isn't an option as I won't be able to get the time off work again (had to book this back in December). Took the refund and sent a pleading message to the hotel hoping for a refund from them (non-refundable but I thought it would be worth a try :o). Unfortunately they aren't playing ball. Apparently because the booking is through booking.com they have to pay them if we don't turn up. They did kindly offer to move our booking but again wouldn't be feasible with work.

Went through the insurance claim online and was automatically rejected :o Think I must have chosen the wrong option for something as I read and reread the policy documents carefully and we were definitely covered for 'adverse weather' cancellations. I chose the option for cancellation though and I think I needed to choose delays. They don't make it easy do they?! I've appealed the decision and will hear back in 5-7 days. If they reject the appeal I may just try again :cool:

Feeling a wee bit dejected as I was very excited. I'd come to terms with the guilt I was feeling for booking a holiday BUT now I feel a fresh set of guilt as I'm down about £250 and have nothing to show for it :rotfl: Hey ho. Just need to stay positive, though it is hard right in this moment.

Me and OH going to brave a walk to Aldi this afternoon and pick up some wine (:eek:) and treats. May treat ourselves to a dominos as well with the holiday spending money :o

Thanks for your thoughts Dusty and doingitanyway - I really appreciate it!

107 days
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What a shame,Lonelyrat! But there's always a silver lining of some sort,however small - Copenhagen is even colder than here,yesterday was the coldest day this winter for them,-7C ,and weather warnings are posted. Imagine those icy winds whistling over the sea at Copenhagen,straight from Russia!
    Go and enjoy your wine!
  • lonelyrat
    Thanks Dusty :) You are right with silver linings... From what you say it sounds far, far too cold for sightseeing so maybe I should think of it as a blessing in disguise.

The flights will be refunded which is very good MSE wise. The hotel did say that I can move my booking for free so my plan of action now is to try and book some time off in either July or September and reschedule for then. It may not be viable with work but I will still try. Will have to re- buy flights but just having a look online now I can get return Ryanair flights in September for £80 for the both of us which is less than these ones cost at £145. So this may actually all work out.

Have emailed the hotel and told them I am unsure of dates with work etc. for reschedule but have asked them if they have any restrictions on dates and told them I will get back to them next week when I have checked scheduling. I won't commit to anything until I hear back from the insurance though.
    Not feeling too down in the dumps about it :eek: Felt a bit bleugh earlier but that was mainly just me cursing my luck more than anything :) OH pretty gutted though and he's gone back to bed. We both do the same thing when we're upset - sleep. Two peas in a pod :o The trip was to tie in with the sort of anniversary of when we got together (not a big one though, only 3 years). Was meant to be all romantic etc. will need to see if we can create some romance here instead :rotfl:

In an unrelated note just went to toast a bagel and as I was cutting it I fully sliced open my index finger. Very sore indeed and cursing how clumsy I am. Put me right off my bagel it has. I haven't even gotten the wine in yet so can't blame it on that haha
  • lonelyrat
    Hmm just checked my online banking and my Santander cc is up at £1685 but I have no idea where the additional £35 has come from? Can't see any new payments so they must be recent. I haven't used the card for anything as far as I'm aware. It was tucked up in a drawer up until packing yesterday. Could be OH had it linked up to something and a payments come off for something he's done and he hasn't told me. Will need to do some digging!
  • lonelyrat
    Mystery solved. It was some new clothes from ASDA for OH and I for our trip. A dress for me and some socks and tights and also a beanie for him. I say clothes for us, but mostly clothes for me now I actually write it down :rotfl: Unsure how that card has been used though, maybe it's stored on their website. Must investigate. Will do a quick transfer over from the account it should have gone from now.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ouch on the finger, and what a shame about your break. Hope you can re-book.
  • lonelyrat
    Thanks redo finger is very nippy but it's what I get for not paying attention when holding sharp things :rotfl: I'm such a child haha!

Feeling OK about the situation with the holiday at the moment. Bus tickets will be refunded as well which is £40 so all I'm down is the hotel and if I can reschedule for later in the year it will be ideal. Gives me more time to save up for it as well I guess as we were going to very much be on a budget. If we were to go in September I would be a few months debt free and could build up a good amount of spending money :o
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lonelyrat if I were you I!!!8217;d reschedule. You have been looking forward to it for so long and at least you can look forward to it again I!!!8217;m September.
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hey lonelyrat. Long time no comment. Sorry to hear about the ratties but you know it was for the best.

Sorry to hear about your holiday! I was a bit worried about you travelling as I thought you must live near the red zone.

Hopefully everything can get sorted out with accommodation etc and I definitely think you should try to reschedule in the summer, the weather would probably be better for sightseeing anyway!

Hope you’re well x
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Yeah Rachel24 I think I definitely will be. It's not too bad... As long as I still do have a holiday at some point I'm happy enough. Will check dates when I'm back in work and see what I can get off. It is definitely a shame not being able to go but at the same time we may have just ended up confined to the hotel room which wouldn't have been great. By not going yesterday we did end up saving £40 which we were going to spend on a taxi there (with public transport being cancelled) so that's good I guess. It wasn't a planned spend so would have had to come out of the spending money for the trip which wouldn't have been ideal.

Hi Silver Queen - yeah, bang in the middle of the red zone! Ideally we do end up get a refund for the accommodation but if we don't then I will definitely reschedule with them. I was down in the dumps about it yesterday but it's actually OK. Going later in the year will minimise any guilty feelings I had about going on holiday while being a debt free wannabe anyway. Once we've heard back from the insurance and spoken to the hotel I will know where we stand a bit more so can take some action.

Done absolutely nothing today :o Stayed in bed with OH and the remaining rats watching TV and it has been lovely. There's something really nice about being tucked up in bed all warm and watching the cold weather outside. Makes me feel guilty though as I know there's people out there who aren't as lucky as me. I genuinely can't even imagine what it must have been like being homeless the last few days. I currently don't give to any organised charities, sometimes if I do have change I'll give some to people in town but I don't feel like I do do enough. When I don't have debt to pay down I think I will allocate some money a month to 'charity'. Not necessarily organised charity but some kind of giving.

We didn't end up getting the wine yesterday so walked to the shops today and got some. I do love walking around in the snow but it was quite slippy today and I am prone to taking a tumble so it was a treacherous journey!

Plans for tomorrow are to take the dog a snowy walk and unpack the suitcase as I have yet to do it. Will take tomorrow off work but will go back in on Sunday if the trains are running.

Starting to get itchy for payday... It always happens as soon as the new calendar month begins. I can do about 2 weeks with what I budget myself then the remaining two are a struggle. Should be paid early this month again with the way the days fall so looking at the 16th. Not too long to go :cool: Excited for this months wage as well as I have my bonus coming to me plus some overtime and also a slight wage rise (to the tune of £40 - £50 a month :rotfl: Not a huge rise but still better than a kick in the teeth).

106 days
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family