Appen Butler-Hill

A while back I signed up to Butler Hill for possible internet work with them. They have just contacted me with an offer for crowd-sourcing job and want my details including bank details for the HR department.

I know I signed up and all that but my question is is this safe? Shall I give them my details? Has anyone any experience with them?

Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    seems to be a Linguist company , not sure they would do this type of work

was the original offer to you from an email or did you sign up direct on their web site ??
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MikeR71
    MikeR71 Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    i signed up on their website and they emailed to say they will contact me when they have new tasks that need doing. they have emailed again with a crowdsourcing offer and ask me to fill in some forms and the contract.
  • Chardonnay
    Chardonnay Posts: 766
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2011 at 9:31AM
    Hi :) I would be interested in the answer to this, as I have also received the same. I applied a while ago (over a year ago) for an assessor position but was not successful. I thought at the time that it could be because I had previously worked for Lionbridge.

I am hoping it is genuine, as the extra money would really come in handy, but I too feel a little wary of signing up and giving bank details!

Edited to add: On logging in to their website, I do feel this is genuine, as it already has my previously submitted information such as address etc. Also, I have received various emails with tasks to do already. The emails are written well, with no spelling mistakes (usually a bit of a giveaway in my experience!) and the email addresses look genuine. I may be wrong, but my gut instinct says that this is OK. Yay!
  • glowgirl_2
    glowgirl_2 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    You could both set up a basic bank account and use it just for this and any other internet transactions if your worried:)
    Thank you for this site Martin
    The time for change has come
    Good luck for the future
  • MikeR71
    I too applied about a year ago and only now this has come through. When I login I also get the details I submitted already there. Am afraid opening a basic bank account is not an option right now as they want this signed and submitted within 24 hours.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Presumably they want your details so that they can pay you, bank account details and name are printed on cheques so that information is not really an issue.
  • That's very true MysteryMe.

I think if we had been sent an unsolicited email, it may be different, but my personal gut feeling is that this is all OK. Of course, you have to make your own decision whether to pursue it or not, but it all adds up for me.

Also Mike, I have signed the NDA and different forms and did not see anywhere to input bank information? Of course, they will need this to pay us, but I wondered where you came across them asking for bank info?
  • clairibel
    clairibel Posts: 3,657
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I too applied last year and was unsuccessful and have just signed the forms for this, hope its good.
  • I also signed up on this website over a year ago & have received an email from them about some work. I can't remember exactly what the work is though - can anyone please explain what the tasks are?

Also, the rate of pay is given at between 1 cent & 10 cents per task, so I'm wondering how long each task will take to complete.

Thanks
    Ann
  • MikeR71
    Chardonnay:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but no I haven't been asked to hand any bank details but I am sure that will come. I wanted to ask and make sure that when the time comes this is safe to do. I don't want to put in the hours only to find it was wasted.

So I signed the papers but haven't heard anything about any tasks yet. The pay rate is very low for each task so I assume the tasks are many to make it worthwhile? I still don't know what the tasks are exactly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback