Older and fitter

Comments

• Well done, you are doing exactly the right thing. I am 61 and retired 3 years ago, I immediately joined a gym and go 3 times a week for 1 he 40 mins per session. I actually don't enjoy it but it enhances my retirement and I'm in really good shape and healthy which helps me enjoy it all the more.
    David
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can I join in? I have only started to go to a gym since I retired and realised that long hours in a sedentary job meant that I had lost a lot of fitness.

Tried the council gym and pool and finally learned to swim. But conditions there were pretty grim, and although I tried a personal trainer, it made little difference. It was also full of super fit show offs. I now go to a Nuffield which is way more expensive but much more pleasant, and the emphasis on health means that the super fit are balanced by people like me, and a few who are obviously disabled. I've splashed out on a personal trainer and the results are already clear afer just a few weeks.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Tried the council gym ... It was also full of super fit show offs.
    That surprises me. My own has a couple, but they are very much outnumbered by the 'averages' and 'sub-pars' that form the rest of us. (Also, if you engage these super-fits in conversation they usually turn out to be entirely pleasant, grounded and affable under the surface!)

Maybe I'm just lucky in that where I live offers a decent balance of fitness classes for all levels and at a good cost. The gym equipment is all very new. The swimming pool area might perhaps be a little smarter, but it's 1970's architecture so what can you do?! If the alternative would be to close for two years to refurbish then I'll happily take it as it is. The sauna and steam room are particularly welcome in the winter. And the studio classes are run by friendly and approachable people (as are all the centre staff).

Anyway, it sounds like you have found your niche. Far better to go somewhere you feel welcomed and which gets results, even if more expensive. If you're anything like me, you'll need that positive feeling to stay motivated and keen. I lose interest very fast in things I don't enjoy, so for me it is crucial that I enjoy my gym visits. Slogging through discomfort isn't my idea of fun.
  • bouicca21
    I can’t say I’ve yet got to the stage of enjoying a work out, but I love the hot tub, steam room and sauna. And I do feel good afterwards.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How are we all still doing?
    I got roped into a charity fundraiser workshop this week - called Floor, Core and Snore - so that was an unexpected extra bit of exercise. I knew I couldn't go to run club as I had theatre tickets (DD's birthday treat) so I went out for a run on my own on Sunday and Tuesday instead. Both times it was 5k in about 36 minutes so that is a big improvement over the 40 mins at Christmas time.
    Run club this week continued the pattern where every session becomes the furthest I have ever run. There is hope for the 10k in May.
    I have lost no weight, and do need to, but I do feel better for moving more. Now that DD is doing driving lessons the prospect of being able to do a class in an evening gets nearer.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Still plodding along here. After my Yin/yang class tomorrow I will have managed 4 classes again this week. Really feel I'm getting my moneys worth out of the gym now Im making more effort to do more classes.

Will miss my weekend step class as we are going away for the weekend but will hopefully be getting a couple of long walks in.

Well done Mallygirl foryour improvement on running time :T Just shows doesnt it? Stick with something and you get better all the time.

I feel like my recovery time after an aerobic type class is much better but I still sweat loads during class. Was hoping this would subside.
    I've always been one to suffer the heat more than others though so maybe just the way I am.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2019 at 1:03PM
    Ohh this is an interesting thread, older and fitter. What counts as old? I am fitter at nearly 50 then I think I have ever been. I'm not sure what I'd do without my exercise. Having lost 3stone and kept it off for 3 years my regime is a huge part of this. I love to swim (minimum of 1600 metres in one session). People say to me "don't you find it boring?" Well no actually I don't I get to totally switch off, no phones, no music, no screens etc. I suspect those that run on there own get the same feelings? I physically find running very difficult, I have very flat feet and my big toe joint has been fused, so even though I'd like to I stick to swimming. I swim outside most of the time so get fresh air and the elements, so really enjoy this.

I'm a member of a gym (a relatively expensive one, my one indulgence and I get my monies worth so worth it) where I go to spin, gym and body attack. With the odd pilates class when I can squeeze it in.

My Mum has rheumatoid arthritis and is at times in significant pain, however her mantra is "keep moving," I totally admire her attitude despite her health issues and her advice is so true.

I shall subscribe and read with interested.

Arkers x
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am 51 so I count that as older but not old. My mother has arthritis in joints so cannot open jars, tie laces, pick up small things etc. My index fingers have both started to twist so that seems an inevitability for me. On my father's side there is osteoporosis. Both of these are drivers for me trying to move more.
    In my 20s and 30s I was 3 stone heavier than I am now but I am still a stone above what I am comfortable with. My noisy knees agree and would like a break.
    I like swimming but can only do that at the spa which costs a lot - all the council pools have been shut due to lack of funds. Once I am no longer Mum's taxi I will join the spa/gym as an annual member so that I can swim whenever and also try some classes.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bouicca21
    Arkers, how Long does it take to swim 1600 metres? That’s my target but I’m not too sure what sort of time I should be looking at.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I am 51 so I count that as older but not old. My mother has arthritis in joints so cannot open jars, tie laces, pick up small things etc. My index fingers have both started to twist so that seems an inevitability for me. On my father's side there is osteoporosis. Both of these are drivers for me trying to move more.
    In my 20s and 30s I was 3 stone heavier than I am now but I am still a stone above what I am comfortable with. My noisy knees agree and would like a break.
    I like swimming but can only do that at the spa which costs a lot - all the council pools have been shut due to lack of funds. Once I am no longer Mum's taxi I will join the spa/gym as an annual member so that I can swim whenever and also try some classes.

Have you been to the doctors about your arthritis? I stopped running for a year, mainly because of arthritis in my right knee (I also had Achilles tendinitis), but when I eventually went to the doctors they arranged for a steroid injection into my knee, it was as good as a miracle cure.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure