Best deals for heavy audiobook listeners

Comments

• robinsonkimberly
    robinsonkimberly Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 January 2019 at 2:02PM
    I'm a user of Audible, I find it more easy to use. When it comes to price, yes it is not that cheap but what it offers to satisfy me. I've been using it since I started listening to the audiobook, I bought this audiobook The One Minute Manager and it runs here perfectly that makes me more satisfied.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    koru wrote: »
    If I used Audible, I would probably go for their 24 books per year deal, which is £109.99, so £4.58 per book. Even that would only last me for maybe 4-5 months, but I believe that if you are on these subscriptions you can buy extra credits in batches of 3. I did find a link about this a while ago, and I think the price is about the same as the price per book under the subscription, although I can't find the link now, so I can't confirm.
    Apparently, it is £11 for 3 extra credits, if you are on the 24 books per year deal. So that is £3.66 per book. Which improves the competitiveness of Audible vs the other paid-for services.
    koru
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    I finally managed to sign up for the daily deals and have received them every day for the last ten days.
    The “deal” price has been £2.99 showing some great “savings” as long it is something you want.
    Most have been self help books which may be a January thing. At my age help is too late self or otherwise.

Having listened to many audiobooks mostly free from library’s over the last few years I have my personal list of favourites. I have searched for books on Audible by some of those favourites and then found a couple of books I have not listened to at below my average annual audible 12 months contract price. That appears one way of bringing down the average price I will pay. In fact that is something I am going to track in 2019.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2019 at 11:08AM
    Best deals for heavy audiobook listeners

"Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" -- free with a trial:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/B004HGJJUK

:p
  • koru
    gfplux wrote: »
    ... and then found a couple of books I have not listened to at below my average annual audible 12 months contract price. That appears one way of bringing down the average price I will pay.
    If trying to decide whether to buy in cash or with credits, it would make sense to compare with the incremental price for credits, rather than the average (if there's a difference). I believe that on the low volume Audible plans you can buy an extra three credits on a one-off basis for £18, so £6 per credit. If that's cheaper than the cash price, it is the better choice.
    koru
  • koru
    esuhl wrote: »
    "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" -- free with a trial:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/B004HGJJUK

:p
    I was about to post a slightly sarcastic reply saying that any book is available free, with a trial. Then I started wondering why you added the smiley and why you chose that book. Finally, it clicked!:rotfl:

Kind of difficult to phrase unambiguously. Best Deals for Heavy Listeners to Audiobooks is no better. Best Deals for Listeners to Heavy Audiobooks doesn't work.

I guess I should have gone for Best Deals for People Who Read a Lot of Audiobooks.:o

Ironically, audiobooks help me lose weight, because they help make long walks something I want to do.:j
    koru
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was about to post a slightly sarcastic reply saying that any book is available free, with a trial. Then I started wondering why you added the smiley and why you chose that book. Finally, it clicked!:rotfl:

Ha ha! I'm glad you got it. I love word puns! :D
  • koru
    esuhl wrote: »
    Ha ha! I'm glad you got it. I love word puns! :D
    If you don't already listen to it, check out The News Quiz on Radio 4. Lots of newspaper clippings with similar amusing double meanings. (I usually scoff at the stupidity of the writer who did not spot it when they wrote it, but I've now learnt my lesson.:o)
    koru
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    I now get an email every day with the “daily deal” During January there have mostly been self help books. As I am beyond help they do not interest me.
    However today the great book The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler at £1.99 12 hours of Phillip Marlow got me to spend the money.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • joan1234
    joan1234 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any advice on the best site to sign up with for kids books, would be much appreciated.
    Looking for The Diamond Brothers especially (Antony Horowitz)
    thanks in advance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure