PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I haven't posted for a while but LFHW has been ongoing chez nous and I've been using up quite a lot of odds and ends this week. On Monday we had a salad for dinner that took care of the last bit of hm potato salad plus the last few slices of pickled beetroot from a large jar we got at Xmas. Jar duly washed out and awaiting re-cycling. :)

Last night's dinner was paella that used up x6 large tiger prawns, x2 chicken thighs and a handful of garden peas from the freezer. With bits from the fridge - chopped onion, the last 2 sweet pointed red peppers, diced chorizo plus a packet mix and risotto rice from the store cupboard - they produced a tasty and filling meal. :):)

Tonight we're having sausages in onion gravy, mashed potato and the last bit of cauliflower from the fridge. There's a fair few of the green leaves left from the cauli and I'm loath to waste them, so I think I'll shred those and add them into tomorrow's chicken & broccoli bake. :D

I've also dealt with a head of celery by standing the tender, inner stalks in a glass of water in the fridge to keep them firm and have chopped/bagged/frozen the outer stalks. For once, the green leaves hadn't been trimmed off and they've also been chopped up fine and frozen in small pots of water to add to casseroles/soups.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making a mushroom & chickpea pate to use up some mushrooms that are going somewhat wrinkly. It's a new-to-me recipe I found on the BBC Good Food website, seems simple enough and I have all the ingredients needed. Unlike a lot of pate recipes, it doesn't use cream cheese but it does need baking in the oven. No problem, as I can make it up beforehand and bung it in the oven with tomorrow's chicken & broccoli bake. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi fellow LFHWrs,

We have been freezer emptying - all the battered fish & all the beef burgers are eaten :T
    Last night was fish’n’chips & the last tin of peas

Today my DH had the last portion of lo lamb stew for lunch, DSis had salami & fresh crusty bread & I had yesterday’s lo pain au raisin - lovely with a cup of tea :)

Tonight was burgers, last of the potatoes mashed & baked beans - yummy! There is one burger, a few baked beans & a bit of mash which DH will have with a fried egg for lunch tomorrow :) No idea what DSis & I will have.

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Had a good root around the freezer and had two chilli chicken thighs with salad for dinner tonight I also made a pan of mixed veg soup chunky type with a y/s bag of stewing veg from the freezer and a pan of leek and potato soup from a bag of chopped leeks from the freezer and a couple of sprout spuds.So two bags of veg used up and plenty of soup for the rest of the week.Staring to see a bit more room in the freezer at last although at least another 2 months worth at least in there.

JackieO xx
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I foolishly bought loads of grapes in the market. Foolish because I am off on holiday and still have loads left. Short of taking them with me (doubt they would survive the journey), what can I do with them?
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I foolishly bought loads of grapes in the market. Foolish because I am off on holiday and still have loads left. Short of taking them with me (doubt they would survive the journey), what can I do with them?

You can freeze grapes
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    You can freeze grapes

frozen grapes are lovely... and the only way i can stop myself scoffing a whole punnet in one go.
    had a slow shuffle throo a cupboard i don't often look throo today and found lots of half empty sauce bottles. have mixed a few together with some chilli flakes and herbs and now have pork chops marinating in it ready for tonight's dinner.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi fellow LFHWrs

Yesterday’s lunch was different for each of us so lots of leftovers from previous days used up :)

Made a large pan of bolognese sauce last night and lots of pasta + we had a very nice garlic bread.

Overnight DSis was extremely ill so today she was on dry bread but managed some soup tonight.
    DH & I had more leftovers for lunch & some of last night’s bolognese + enough lo for lunch tomorrow :money: + I put enough bolognese sauce in the freezer for 4 people (so when DB arrives in a couple of weeks we know what we are having for one dinner :rotfl:)

Unfortunately now for the non MSE part of today - I went through my DSis’s fridge & had to bin 4 well ood creme caramels, 2 well ood pots of cream, 5 mostly empty Robinson’s squash shots, 3 jars of furry jam (glass jars washed out & recycled) & a glass jar of furry prawn cocktail sauce (again jar washed & recycled). At least the fridge is now a safe zone :rotfl:

See you all soon

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning chums I had a hm jar of damson jar given to me last week,very nice but I don't eat a great deal of jam so it will have to be used in a victoria sponge cake I think.Can't think of anything else to do with it .Bless her this lady who gave it to me is so kind and I didn't want to offend her. I shall maybe have to put my thinking cap on to use it up

I am also making some cakes and biscuits today for my DGS who came home for the weekend from Uni, he is like a bean pole and far too skinny for my liking yet he eats well enough given the chance he is off to mexico with his girlfriend next month so maybe he will go and see my niece when they are out there she will feed him up well :) she owns a restaurant in Mexico city :)

I saw a recipe on the forum that I am going to try as well its for HM protein breakfast bars and I have some peanut butter to use up (another donation from my other friend)and I think I will have a go at them as I have all the ingredients in stock.

Hope you all have a great bank holiday weekend it looks like its going to be a sunny and warm one for a change

JackieO xxx
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm busy emptying my fridge of stuff that won't keep, in preparation for our holiday. We go next Friday, and will be away for til the Sunday after (ie just over a week).

I think I've cracked it; any remaining bread can be sliced and frozen, and if there are any tomatoes left I'll halve and freeze them - they can always be used in soup at a later date then.

I have to be careful how much I put in the freezer though, as I have Buddy and Indi coming to stay for 17 days halfway through July, and I'll need quite a bit of freezer space for their grub as they have the BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) diet.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    Morning chums I had a hm jar of damson jar given to me last week,very nice but I don't eat a great deal of jam so it will have to be used in a victoria sponge cake I think.Can't think of anything else to do with it .Bless her this lady who gave it to me is so kind and I didn't want to offend her. I shall maybe have to put my thinking cap on to use it

What about some thumb print cookie with jam in the centre or jam tarts I'm sure your DGSs can help dispose of them. Not sure if it's too warm for a sponge pudding with jam in the bottom, microwave not streamed for speed, maybe for after your family Sunday dinner
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback