PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,203 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Back again, just too busy yesterday, committee meeting and the like, plus PC on a go slow for unknown reason, seems OK today.

Nothing exciting eaten yesterday, but I did have a large slice of yummy Victoria sponge in a cafe, "cake & a cuppa" deal, which I always fall for

Plus I made the bubble & squeak for dinner, not as nice as I'd hoped.
    One plus I was shopping Thurs AM, at last I've bought a pork chop, lovely looking FR one from W/r, hope it's worth it, cost more than a whole tortured fresh chicken

With my new pork chop I'd planned that with baked spud & salad for tonight, but looking more like frozen chips instead of baked spud
    I bought a couple of nice bakers in L's this morning, but they'll keep

Lunch was the last of the free eggs in a sarnie.
    Dinner as above
    I'd like to go to a service on Sunday, but I feel no connection or affiliation to anywhere to feel more than "awkward" anywhere... so I'll do it quietly at home. Portsmouth would be my closest.

Like wise, no connection locally but I'll be attending a small service where I volunteer, suits me, no marching, parades or the like, plus I know most who'll be there

I've never been to the Portsmouth services, but the one near the Naval memorial on the sea front is more "civilian" and not military. A cavalcade of motor bikers ride along the front, blazoned with poppies. Quite a spectacle I'm told
    The full military style is at the City memorial near the Guildhall
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had kebab in pitta and chips for lunch. Splash of chilli sauce :)

When the SC one was cooked I just removed it and that's still whole in the fridge, boxed up.

As I'd grabbed a bit out of the raw mix to cook separately for lunch, in the event I'd not really grabbed as much as I'd have liked by the time it came round to eating it .... so tasty wish I'd had more.

So I had a half of a tomato sandwich from the fridge soon after.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not normally one for going to an actual remembrance service, in fact, this'll be my first ever. Normally, I'll just mark it quietly at home, or wherever I happen to be.

I'm only going down to Shrouds of the Somme for theirs because of all the involvement I've had with it this past month or so. I'm also meeting a distant relative there, which will be nice.

A day's teaching with a difficult class... And now an hours tutoring with my most difficult tutee... Roll on 6:30! I've got a banging headache, so I'll pop a couple of pills before I go.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    Hope your tum settles Wednesday <<hug>>
    Very stormy here this afternoon, I had a rake through the veg drawer and decided it was definitely soup making weather which would also use up the soft carrots and parsnips I found:). Turkey & veg broth is currently hissing gently in the pressure cooker:). It can go in the fridge overnight to get properly rib-sticking! The last of the roast veg was used up in a roti for lunch.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 6:55PM
    Pitta bread... I think I've decided they are something I generally struggle with.

When you get a shop kebab in pitta, they work well.... they've had the experience/years to get it right ... and they are in business so get the right tools for the job.

As a general rule, I'll buy random packs of pitta bread, as I spot them, when I fancy them - maybe two packs a year. On the whole though, I think I find them unsatisfying.... todays, having been frozen/defrosted then toasted simply didn't perform well.

Not sure where this lot came from, they could be my first from 4ldi.

Had a 2nd kebab/pitta for tea... no chips with that second one though. Enough meat left for two more. I'll probably eat one lot with chips and another lot inside a soft bread roll (oven bottom muffin)... much better than those cr4ppy pittas.

These were pricey meals as the meat cost me £3 as it wasn't reduced ... and it'll do for four meals, so 75p+/meal
  • caronc
    I think it's hard to get the quick,very hot high heat at home that they do in the shops. I tend to do them in Greek pittas or roti as a wrap rather than split and filled. I do keep a pack of wholemeal ones in the freezer as I like them with curry instead of rice though.
    You'd never get a bought kebab for 75p PN and you know what's gone in it so good value I reckon.:)
  • GrowingPlants
    GrowingPlants Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 7:44PM
    Moneyistoshorttomention, Caronc the hallomi is now all gone so you’re out of luck. I’ve just finished the last of it off with some tender stem broccoli, cucumber and baba ganoush.
    Has anyone got any interesting ideas on what I could do with 1/3 of a pumpkin?
    The aubergine and broccoli from work was easy to get rid off.....but for the pumpkin I can’t think of anything but roasting and then having it with the kale I also have and at the moment that doesn’t appeal.
    Pasturesnew I find that heating pittas that have been frozen and then Defrosted works best under the grill with a bit of water sprinkled on top. I tend to use wraps instead of pitta most of the time as I find it easier to fill and then eat.
  • caronc
    Pumpkin bread?You can make it sweet or savoury yeasted or not.

Pumpkins wedges roasted in jerk or curry spices are really good and freeze well.

Cubes are tasty in Thai Green curry.
    Makes a lovely dip with chilli, ricotta and roasted peppers.
    When the kids "did" Hallowe'en I was always looking for use ups.:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    GrowingPlants I did make pumpkin scones once using LO roasted pumpkin you use pumpkin instead of fat it was a online recipe I think I adjusted the sugar as it looked too sweet. They went down well :)

Wednesday I hoped your tummy has now settled :)

Caronc the scotch eggs were lovely, now I've found how much nicer they are air fried rather than baked I'm going to have to stop myself making them too often or I'll go off of them :cool:

Day off today I walked into town in between the rain to take a former elderly neighbour to lunch as a belated birthday meal. I must remember next time that my looking good for lunch boots aren't really suitable for walking 4 miles :eek: I walked because I knew I would need a glass of wine :cool: I think I was lucky that I avoided getting wet as it's been very wet and windy since 5pm looks like it's going to be a wet weekend :( and I have a hair appointment

Lunch was a Breton fish stew not sure why it was different to bouillabaisse but it was very nice, it was served with a very nice bread to mop up it up which I probably shouldn't have eaten as my joints are a little achy at the moment and it makes them worst, hopefully I may get away with it or I won't notice the difference :rotfl: Haven't eaten dinner yet I'm not really hungry but I should probably have a snack or I'll wake up hungry or with a headache, may be just some fruit I'll raid the fruit bowl later
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    edited 9 November 2018 at 10:07PM
    I've not got an air fryer Brambling and resisting getting one as I've no space for it:(.
    I do love a good fish stew for the stock/liquor as much as anything else it's the best bit in a good one:). I think the Breton one uses cider rather than wine in the stock ;).
    The soup is in the fridge and it looks like a thick one:D, loaded with veg & pulses- just what I need:).
    Dinner is in the oven and looking rather beige but at least the wedges are HM and there's peas & sweetcorn to brighten it up, I decided I cba prepping cabbage:o. A splodge of tartare sauce and a lemon wedge and it will be good to go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback