TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room?

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2017 at 11:06PM
    HWW wrote: »
    The truth is, the BBC will never go to subscription - as only a handful will pay when the have true "CHOICE" in their entertainment. Who want to fund a corrupted, biased & !!!!! supporting, over manned mess, that the BBC truly is?
    Very few, I would think.
    So this is the main reason why the BBC clings to the TVL - self preservation, nothing more, nothing less.

Your defence of the BBC, reeks of Mikw & ASH_M1 rolled into one, heard of them?:angry: These BBC sock puppets haunt Digital spy, along with a lot of other BBC/Capita PR employee usernames.
    You are out of touch with reality HDW, bleating on about a long dead Jimmy Savile which you use as a weak excuse to salve your conscious
    The "truth " is that the BBC is EASILY the most popular viewing channel by a country mile in the UK.
    Just look at the viewing figures for OCT 2017. The top 11 are ALL BBC
    Blue Planet 2,- 14 mill
    Celeb come dancing 12 mill in second
    , Celeb come dancing results 11 mill
    , Eastenders in 4th right down to the 11 th on the list are all good old Auntie BBC. That tells the whole truth
    The big issue is that of the 14 mill who viewed The Blue Planet I d guess that 2 million are doing it LLF !
    1.9 million households evading the licence will be more like 5 million viewers, at 3 to a household, all thieving off the backs of the honest. The thieves are getting away with it and they have been getting away with it for decades, especially with the help of advice websites
    We need a subscription service badly, quicker the better..Keep up the good work Cornucopia
    My pal who Capita scared into buying a licence this year with their first "threatogram " has recently told me he went on the TV Licence advice website and now realises where he went wrong and declared " I will NEVER buy another TV licence again "..Another happy customer of the TVL advice website, and he also learnt new words for Capita employees such as "the Goons"
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The only issue being that the BBC and the Licence were never designed to be near-universal. Apologies if I posted this before on this thread, but only 17% of households had a TV Licence in 1953.

There weren't any TV licences 100 years ago.

The low proportion in 1953 isn't about evasion, but the number of sets in use.

The first sentence is about your own opinion, not about policy or law.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    redux wrote: »
    There weren't any TV licences 100 years ago.
    Right.
    The low proportion in 1953 isn't about evasion, but the number of sets in use.
    I never said it was about evasion. My point is that subscription and the TV Licence are, in practical terms, not that far apart.
    The first sentence is about your own opinion, not about policy or law.
    We do all three. I think it's more than just opinion, though, I think it's a reasonable conclusion based upon the facts.

The point being that Subscription and the TV Licence only begin to be practically different when usage approaches 100%, which has only been in the past 15-20 years.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Right.

I never said it was about evasion. My point is that subscription and the TV Licence are, in practical terms, not that far apart.

We do all three. I think it's more than just opinion, though, I think it's a reasonable conclusion based upon the facts.

The point being that Subscription and the TV Licence only begin to be practically different when usage approaches 100%, which has only been in the past 15-20 years.

You suggest that the BBC and the licence were not intended to be universal.

That might tend to mislead people. It's always been fact that a licence has been needed for using a set, whatever channels were to be watched.

Any other aspects of the subject, such as your dislike of the BBC, don't belong in this board,

The OP asks for pragmatic advice, not a debate about the morality of a licence either now or in future.

If you want to do that, there is Discussion Time, where it occurs from time to time.
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2017 at 3:42PM
    BBC TV, yes. That seems like a reasonable conclusion based on the fact that for a number of decades of its existence it didn't have anything like universal take up. Yes, there were various reasons for that, but the fact remains that it was not universal.
    That might tend to mislead people. It's always been fact that a licence has been needed for using a set, whatever channels were to be watched.
    Yes, and I think that message comes over loud and clear in each and every TVL-related thread on MSE. The concept of universality is a creation of the BBC and means something different.
    Any other aspects of the subject, such as your dislike of the BBC, don't belong in this board,
    I don't have a general dislike of the BBC, and I cannot see anything in this thread (or generally on MSE) that suggests that I do. I think there are issues, but that's hardly the same thing.

Other posters introduced what I suppose we can call "moral issues", and I've done my best to add to that discussion in the spirit of fairness and honesty. However, since the BBC operates TV Licensing in what we can objectively call a morally- and legally-questionable way, I tend to take the view that questions of law and morals are an intrinsic part of the topic.

I don't think that me holding views about TVL that are supported by reputable external references is any different to other BGs holding views about the key protagonist organisations in their board topic areas. Some of what follows might be implausible, but it is nevertheless true (at least to the standard of fair comment in good faith).
    The OP asks for pragmatic advice, not a debate about the morality of a licence either now or in future.
    I'm not sure why we would hold this thread to a fictional standard that does not apply elsewhere in MSE. The Forum Team have been over the thread and removed some contentious posts. What remains is presumably acceptable.

The OP's question was thoroughly addressed in the first few posts, and what follows is a broader discussion about the topic in hand. That's fairly typical of these forums, I would say.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite

If you want to do that, there is Discussion Time, where it occurs from time to time.

The intention of TVL vs the current reality are different for some people now.

While it is true that many people still watch linear TV, via DTT, Cable or Satellite, there are now non traditional ways to watch TV, not covered by TVL.

While any usage of iPlayer, broadcast TV and as live via the likes of Now TV do require it https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv there will be people who can easily get on never watching a linear TV channel or as live broadcast if they so wished.

The vast majority of the UK population will watch live TV, or use the iPlayer at some point, and require a TVL. If you don't, you don't. Any other arguments are really not required.

Also, and I say this as a new board guide elsewhere on site, what opinions Cornucopia posts has nothing to do with their role, has nothing to do with MSE official views on TVL and has no more or less weight as any other opinion on this site. So long as they don't break the rules of the site, they're free to post their opinions on the subject.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    I just KNEW "Blue Planet" would be bought into HM's weak defence of BBC/Capita.
    Straight out of the Mikw/Mossy/Ash-M1 PR handbook old boy :rotfl:
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    HWW wrote: »
    I just KNEW "Blue Planet" would be bought into HM's weak defence of BBC/Capita.
    Straight out of the Mikw/Mossy/Ash-M1 PR handbook old boy :rotfl:

Wrong thread?

I don't find it that remarkable that a person lauding the BBC should mention its top-rated programs of the moment.
  • Hiya i recently had tv licensing man come my door week the end of August i told him I got a tv but is isn't on. What I found really strange for anyone to ask what is my national insurance number isn't that data protection act someone trying identity theft?. I had been poorly told the bloke just came out hospital. But infact i ended back 8n with life treating illness. So am still not back on my feet just got a fine from the courts admitting i had used watching a tv with out a license. I the man i had a tv only nithi g else. Just want your thoughts on he he asked to come in i refused entry, do i watch bbc said no like said whats my national insurance number
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2017 at 7:01PM
    Kim53 wrote: »
    Hiya i recently had tv licensing man come my door week the end of August i told him I got a tv but is isn't on. What I found really strange for anyone to ask what is my national insurance number isn't that data protection act someone trying identity theft?. I had been poorly told the bloke just came out hospital. But infact i ended back 8n with life treating illness. So am still not back on my feet just got a fine from the courts admitting i had used watching a tv with out a license. I the man i had a tv only nithi g else. Just want your thoughts on he he asked to come in i refused entry, do i watch bbc said no like said whats my national insurance number
    You admitted in court that you watch "TV " without a licence, so you were fined because you were guilty.
    I would hazard a guess that the fine was not much more than the cost of the yearly TV licence of £147.I`d guess that the fine was £150 to £200. Well done for remembering your National Insurance number at the doorstep. I have no idea of mine without rooting around for an hour to find it somewhere.
    Maybe you can look upon this episode as a win -win in that you have had a bargain for all the time you have not paid the TV licence in the past,( that is of course that you have`nt paid it every year ),and the future knowledge to get proper advice from online TV advice websites in how to deal properly with Capita employees.
    My friend recently was in the same situation but he caved in and paid the licence but has vowed never to pay the TV licence for the rest of his life once he found out how easy it was not to make any easy mistakes when Capita come knocking and questioning.
    By the way Kim53, if you have a health problem , do not forget to apply for every benefit possible. You may well qualify for the Warm Home Discount from your electricity supplier. Its worth just about the cost of a TV licence at £140 a year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure