Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 16th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 305Posts
    • 137Thanks
    chippy2u
    Virgin to Sky
    • 16th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    Virgin to Sky 16th Jan 20 at 10:01 AM
    Just moved into new [to me] flat which has a Virgin Media box with cables coming out of it on the inside wall and a dish outside.

I have a Sky+HD box which I want to use for Freesat. The question is, will the Sky box work on the Virgin box? Or do I need to get a Sky LNB?

Or would it just be easier to get a VM box from Fleabay?
    Last edited by chippy2u; 16-01-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    You cannot use the Sky box with the Virgin box on the wall.

If the LNB on the dish still works you can use the Sky+HD box for Freesat from Sky (not "Freesat", there is a difference), I presume you don't have an active Sky subscription?
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 16th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    chippy2u
    • 16th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 10:56 AM
    Sorry but I can't understand your answer.
    'You cannot use the Sky box with the Virgin box on the wall.' The box on the wall is just the cables coming from the dish.

'If the LNB on the dish still works you can use the Sky+HD box for Freesat from Sky (not "Freesat") ?????
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Jan 20, 11:23 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:23 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:23 AM
    If the cables run to a dish it cannot be a Virgin box. Virgin comes through fibre-optic cables that run under the pavement and up to the property, not through a satellite dish.

In most situations a cable run from a dish comes from said dish, down the outside of a wall somewhere and through a hole in said wall and typically come as a pair.

The Virgin arrangement is usually a single (fatter) cable that doesn't connect to a dish at all.

With regards to Freesat, the commonly marketed version of Freesat is the one with all the built-in on demand stuff and sometimes record functionality to. Freesat from Sky is what your Sky+HD box becomes when you don't have an active subscription - its a receiver only and there is no catch-up provisions or recording (you can pay Sky for the Sky+ feature but not really worth it at 10 a month)
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 14,043 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 16th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    If the cables run to a dish it cannot be a Virgin box. Virgin comes through fibre-optic cables that run under the pavement and up to the property, not through a satellite dish.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    For clarity, in most of the country VM comes to the property on coaxial cables that are similar to satellite or aerial cable, not fibre optic.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 16th Jan 20, 12:38 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    chippy2u
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:38 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 12:38 PM
    I took the cover off the VM box to find that it was empty. Pulled a couple of wires out of the wall one of which had B SKY B marked on it. So maybe it is a Sky dish.
    What is a bit of a mystery is there is what looks like a telephone socket above this with Virgin Media stamped on it. so I think this means that a bit of experimenting is called for....
    • almillar
    • By almillar 16th Jan 20, 1:40 PM
    • 8,321 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    almillar
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:40 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 1:40 PM
    The Virgin cables will go into the ground, and eventually, back to 'Virgin'. A Sky box can't do that, it needs to connect to a satellite dish. Do you have one? You'll need 2 cables going to it, to watch/record 2 things at once. The LNB is the bit in the middle of the dish.
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 16th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    chippy2u
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 2:59 PM
    Pretty sure the cables I found are the ones that go outside to the dish which does have an LNB. And one of the cables is marked B SKY B so I just need to get some cables to connect them now.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter