Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• danwhy77 wrote: »
    consumers_revenge

that's what I wanted to do but they wouldn't give me the same deal, I have put my notice in, should I try them again today and say the same as you,

Re ring and make sure you also have skys 41 deal to hand.

sunday person dreadful
    monday person couldnt help enough

if you have put your notice in it looks like 99% get a call back in a day or 2 with proper offers.
  • That’s what I thought I put my notice in on Friday but had no phone call yet I must be the 1% that doesn’t get a call back 😟
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 301
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    danwhy77 wrote: »
    That’s what I thought I put my notice in on Friday but had no phone call yet I must be the 1% that doesn’t get a call back 😟

Did you get a confirmation email? I put my notice in but didn’t get an email or a callback. After a week I phoned and asked for my confirmatory email, a day after the email arrived I got a call from retentions with an offer.
  • Yes I got a disconnections email but no phone call I guess they really don’t want me anymore I will call them tonight and see if I can get a better deal or I will be signing up with Sky tomorrow
  • My contract is due the last week of Feb, when would you start phoning up?

danwhy77 wrote: »
    Yes I got a disconnections email but no phone call I guess they really don’t want me anymore I will call them tonight and see if I can get a better deal or I will be signing up with Sky tomorrow

Danwhy - I'm also on the VIP package, could you send me details of what sky are offering? I've seen deals but can't seem to get even a similar price with Sky as I'm wanting BT and Sky Sports

Thanks
  • stealdo wrote: »
    My contract is due the last week of Feb, when would you start phoning up?

Danwhy - I'm also on the VIP package, could you send me details of what sky are offering? I've seen deals but can't seem to get even a similar price with Sky as I'm wanting BT and Sky Sports

Thanks

I'd start phoning now myself.

If you are thinking of jumping ship I'd phone Sky and ask about the Sky Sports Extra package which is Sky Sports, BT Sports & Premiere Sports (Boxnation joins PS in a couple of weeks or so).
  • I'd start phoning now myself.

If you are thinking of jumping ship I'd phone Sky and ask about the Sky Sports Extra package which is Sky Sports, BT Sports & Premiere Sports (Boxnation joins PS in a couple of weeks or so).

Happy to stay with Virgin as currently I haven't found an offer which matches. I've googled this and it's trying to send me to the Ireland sky store? Can they do this over the phone for the rest of the UK?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 4:12PM
    stealdo wrote: »
    Happy to stay with Virgin as currently I haven't found an offer which matches. I've googled this and it's trying to send me to the Ireland sky store? Can they do this over the phone for the rest of the UK?

Yes, it's a soft launch and they can sign you up via phone or I'd presume the other methods of contact. The official launch the last I heard was the 29th of this month I think.
  • Long time haggler update, been a retentions regular for a few years now.

Coming off TV XL (incl BT Sport etc), 100MB, Weekend Calls £50pm
    Increase due to £78.

My usual tack is this.

1st call, play it nice, friendly, usual time of year etc, let them suss out your channel usage, your BB useage etc. Let them (encourage them) to go “package up” looking for deals as well as reluctantly downgrading if your usage dictates. When they come to a final number, say you’ve been great etc and you’ll think about it and end the call positively.

2nd call, usually day 2. This depends on who you get. I normally aim to give polite notice to cancel, saying I spoke to X yesterday at length, he did a great job trying to find me something but I think the price is just too far this year.

At that stage in yesterday’s call 2 the chap just said “if I can find a figure to make you stay, what would it be? I said no more than what I’m paying now. Two mins later he played with the systems and found a deal:

TV Maxit (Same as XL) 200MB, Weekend Calls, £49pm.

Partly I think I got lucky, Virgin are heavily marketing a broadband speed upgrade to retain clients. If I’d have been on 200MB already I don’t think this deal would’ve been offered. It’s been a while since I’ve had a new customer price match.

Last year, when call 2 didn’t help and I gave notice, the outbound call (it does come quick) offered no more than the inbound team. Whilst some will argue I could have cancelled again this year - yeah maybe but I really don’t think I’d have got any further, and my gut feel actually is the inbound team do have access to decent deals but they have to do a lot of faffing around to find them, and some are better on Virgin’s systems than others.

Always worth at least two phone calls therefore. :j
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 10:13PM
    re negotiated my stuff weekend telephone , mix tv, loyalty broadband (i think 100mb , ok for me i use old pc and laptops with linux and a couple of raspberry pi's) £43 for 18 months
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback