Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This appears to be a recurring issue - namely the unreliability of the first leg of return flights/connections from the US with US airlines.
    If posible try to book al flights with an EU airline.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • dashdakota
    Options
    Thanks.

In this scenario, if the first leg was also operated by VA themselves I would have been eligible for EU compensation?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IIRC, there has been a recent case with a very similar scenario, where, in this case, Virgin had to pay compensation.

I cannot recall the case name tho but it may set a precedent. Try searching via Google etc.

Good luck
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tyzap, I've had a google and can't find anything?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    IIRC, there has been a recent case with a very similar scenario, where, in this case, Virgin had to pay compensation.
    Could it have been this?
    https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Your-rights/Your-rights-when-you-miss-a-connection/
    "....Therefore, the operating air carrier that has performed the first flight is responsible for compensation even though the delayed flight was operated by a non-EU carrier outside of the EU. "

Virgin from UK to US followed by Delta domestic flight would have Virgin on the hook for compensation even if their flight was not delayed but Delta flight was (with usual exclusions)

however that still requires the original journey to have commenced in the EU so does not help in this case
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Hello,

Where can I get accurate arrival times of my flights? Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Options
    flightaware goes back a few weeks if you register (free) - note it will generally give "landing time" and "gate arrival time" (post taxiing) but not doors open time.
    EUClaim and bottonline should also confirm whether sub compensation levels eg. your flight was delayed less than 3 hours..no compensation.
    there are also some paid sites
  • tseb
    tseb Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On the MSE website under "Flight cancellation compensation – the rules", it states that:

"What if I booked my flight via an online travel agent (OTA)?

Again, the law is clear that it's the 'operating air carrier' (ie, the airline) which is responsible for refunding passengers when a flight is cancelled. So even if you booked with an online travel agency, the airline needs to give you the money back."

This appears not to be true as I was told by Qatar Airways today that they were not responsible for refunding their cancelled flight booked through an agent (this is not about compensation, just refunding the non-taken flights).

I have looked for the 'law' mentioned by MSE, but not even the CAA mentions it.

Qatar Airways are refusing to even discuss it with me.

Could someone at MSE Towers clarify on the 'Flight Delay Compensation' webpage where this 'law' can be found?

Thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Options
    you need to ask you agent to request the ticket refund from Qatar (the airline will issue the refund to their customer which is the third party)
    the agent should then pass the refund to you
  • tseb
    tseb Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks.

That sounds like a wording issue on the MSE website then as it sounds like the airline has to pay you directly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback