Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 2nd Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,007Posts
    • 719Thanks
    sheilavw
    Esa ?
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    Esa ? 2nd Mar 18 at 6:40 AM
    My Husband had hip replacement 23/1. He completed a Self certification form and then I dropped in a 6 week sick note the hospital gave him on the 29/1 (he was in 8 days due to complications). He is on a zero hour contract and works 2 days a week normally. We heard nothing and on the 28/2 when he would normally be paid he didnt get anything. He rang and they said we should have had a form through. As his average earning was 110 he couldnt get SSP. After spending much of the day yesterday he was told to go to Gov uk and fill a form in for Universal Credit? I work full time but he had to put it as a joint claim? it said at the end if entitled will receive a payment in 37 days?
    Is this a replacement for ESA? Confused?
Page 3
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 22nd Mar 18, 6:36 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Hi
    Still not a phonecall from the person coming to the house to verify his identity. All the paperwork is here. Any idea how long they take anyone?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 22nd Mar 18, 6:42 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Hi
    Still not a phonecall from the person coming to the house to verify his identity. All the paperwork is here. Any idea how long they take anyone?
    Originally posted by sheilavw
    I've never known them come to your house to do this. Usually you need to take it to your local job centre, I maybe wrong and they may have changed it.

You should ring them and ESA claim shouldn't take any longer than 3 weeks to start getting payment.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 23rd Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Thanks, he got a call late yesterday. They are coming between 11am and 1pm on Monday. The man said he will do the idenitity check and take away our claim form/sick notes
    Thanks again, might finally get something!
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 27th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    The guy came yesterday. He looked at all the I.D and sick notes. My Husband said he was here abour 30 mins. He went on his computer and inputted everything and said should hear soon
    Thanks again everyone
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 5th Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    update, still not had any correspondence or payment. When the guy came on monday 26/3 and inputted claim here ge said call if not heard anything by friday. of course this was Good Friday so we left it. I thought payment date was thursday so hoped a payment would go in today but nothing? Are we being too optimistic? does it take longer to receive anything ?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Apr 18, 8:28 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    update, still not had any correspondence or payment. When the guy came on monday 26/3 and inputted claim here ge said call if not heard anything by friday. of course this was Good Friday so we left it. I thought payment date was thursday so hoped a payment would go in today but nothing? Are we being too optimistic? does it take longer to receive anything ?
    Payment can take at least 3 weeks and as it was Easter it would delay the process further. Being entitled to ESA Contribution based will also depend on NI contributions in the last 2 tax years also. If enough wasn't paid then he won't be entitled to ESA. The best thing to do is to ring DWP and ask them.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 5th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Thanks, he rang this morning, Eventually got through and the guy said he couldnt see all the paperwork on the system and would have to go and speak to a manager. I accidently unplugged the house phone to plug in my straighteners so got cut off! We will try again. He has 41 years full and 1 part year contributions.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Thanks, he rang this morning, Eventually got through and the guy said he couldnt see all the paperwork on the system and would have to go and speak to a manager. I accidently unplugged the house phone to plug in my straighteners so got cut off! We will try again. He has 41 years full and 1 part year contributions.
    It's the 2 previous tax years that count and not 41 years unfortunately.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 6th Apr 18, 7:15 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Thanks, in the last 2 one if full, one part
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 6th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    calleyw
    Thanks, in the last 2 one if full, one part
    The NI records they will be looking at are the two prior to the one just ended. So it should be 2016-2017 and 2015-2016. As the tax year is from April 6th. DWP years are calendar years.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 6th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    thanks 2015/6 part 2016/7 is full does that mean he wont get anything? he was hoping to go back next week, hip is fine but strugglin with breathing, gp said yest something wrong with left lung and sent him for xray. she said fluid/ infection so given him medication and another note. he tried ringing the number given again 2day, the one where you press opt 2 then 6 but they couldnt help. maybe we will wait for a letter because the guy only did home visit on 26th , do i take this sick note to job centre? thanks
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Apr 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    thanks 2015/6 part 2016/7 is full does that mean he wont get anything? he was hoping to go back next week, hip is fine but strugglin with breathing, gp said yest something wrong with left lung and sent him for xray. she said fluid/ infection so given him medication and another note. he tried ringing the number given again 2day, the one where you press opt 2 then 6 but they couldnt help. maybe we will wait for a letter because the guy only did home visit on 26th , do i take this sick note to job centre? thanks
    Alice very kindly explain it all to you in post #27 i've copied and pasted it here for you.
    The contribution conditions
    You qualify for contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions. There are two contribution conditions you must meet:

First contribution condition - in one of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid Class 1 or 2 contributions on relevant earnings at the lower earnings limit for at least 26 weeks. This means you must have worked for at least 26 weeks of the last two complete tax years; and
    Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
    The 2 tax years that are relevant are the ones that were completed before the benefit year in which your period of limited capability for work began.

The tax year runs 6 April - 5th April
    The benefit year runs from the first Sunday in January.
    The lower earnings limit for the 2014/2015 tax year was 111 per week, for 2015/2016 it was 112 per week, for 2015/2017 it was 112 per week, "

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will treat any credits that are earned as a carer as actual National Insurance payments."

Equivalent annual earnings to achieve the lower earnings limit for the 2014/2015 tax year was 111 times 52 = 5772, and for 2015/2016 it was 112 times 52 = 5824."
    (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions).

The fit notes won't be needed until they ask for them. Once he receives the letter from DWP telling him whether he can claim it or not, it will tell you what to do on the letter. As he only claimed it on 26th March and we've had 2 bank holidays since then. Today is only the 7th working day (not counting the day he claimed) it's still a little early to have a decision yet. Normally it takes 2-3 weeks to hear anything back.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 6th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    thanks I think on the lowest year he earned just short of 9k. We arent very good with this sort of thing. Husband doesnt know where job centre is! Its a shame didnt qualify for Ssp but due to health only been working couple of days a wk
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 12th Apr 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    I was hoping something may have gone in the bank today but nothing has, and we havent had any correspondence. I didnt thnk it would take too long to hear because the guy did the claim on his computer here on the 26/3.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I was hoping something may have gone in the bank today but nothing has, and we havent had any correspondence. I didnt thnk it would take too long to hear because the guy did the claim on his computer here on the 26/3.
    I'd advise your husband to ring them today when they open to ask what's happening with the claim.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    thanks Poppy. Hes just rung. She said seems to be a delay but didnt know why and would get one if the team to ring in next 48 hours
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 12th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    had a call back. Despite gentleman sitting in our house on 26/3 for 30 to 40 mins completing claim on his computer they have no record of anything at all! at a loss what to do next , give up? been trying to claim since 28/2 , numerous calls , passed from pillar to post, ive been in job centre 3 times? they dont even know who called, neither do we. he just wrote on the back of a list of phone numbers claimed employment and support allowance new style
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 13th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    update, they called my Husband today. They hsve contacted Belfast and they have nothing. They basically said although the guy came , verified identity , input his claim they have received nothing . You couldnt make it up! suppose I could call in our local job centre. i think guy who came was from there. so been off since 23/1 and not had a penny ! losing hope!!!128533;
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 3,294 Thanks
    poppy12345
    update, they called my Husband today. They hsve contacted Belfast and they have nothing. They basically said although the guy came , verified identity , input his claim they have received nothing . You couldnt make it up! suppose I could call in our local job centre. i think guy who came was from there. so been off since 23/1 and not had a penny ! losing hope!!!128533;
    Do you know the name of the person that came out? If you do that would help when you ring. Hopefully you'll get it sorted soon.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 13th Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Thanks for all your help Poppy. Although got 41 years full NI payments. 2015 /16 incomplete. He paid nearly 900 in NI but not enough so not getting anything
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

244Posts Today

3,200Users online

Martin's Twitter