Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,514Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 161
    • Xclare
    • By Xclare 13th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Xclare
    So we have finally exchanged today with a completion of the 27th we can finally start planning stuff.

Our time line

26th Feb Viewed house
    1st March Went back for second viewing!
    1st March offer accepted
    1st March applied online for mortgage
    2nd March Instructed solicitors and sent required paperwork for mortgage app
    8th March solicitor received our ID, paperwork and proof of deposit
    9th March received mortgage offer
    9th March homebuyer survey done
    14th March received our copy of survey ( minor issues ,and a possible damp issue, estate agent anti moving on price so sellers arranging a quote for damp work to see what needs doing and potential costs)
    14th March local searches requested
    14th March environmental searches received
    15th March draft contracts received from sellers solicitor
    23th March - Quote done for damp
    2nd April renegotiated price due to damp
    6th april all querys back
    9th april searches back
    13th april exchanged contract

Good luck everyone who's still waiting
    • Ogriv
    • By Ogriv 14th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Ogriv
    May I join you?
    Hello all
    I would like to join this thread.
    My purchase has taken ages so far (since mid-Nov), and I've even threatened to pull out.
    But if I start another purchase, what's to say it won't be the same sh*t-show?
    It's a leasehold flat, and they are inherentlly sh*t-shows.
    But it's all I can afford.

Timeline:
    • Offer accepted mid-November
    • Mortgage offer received early December
    • Homebuyer Report done mid-December - surveyor generally happy but pointed out we should ask for building regs certificates for removal of a load-bearing wall during the conversion (from 5-storey house to flats)
    • Pre-Xmas conveyancer made their enquiries
    • Then various enquries came back slowly.... but nothing about load-bearing walls. Conversion apparently done 20 years ago, so regs cert unlikely.
    • Early March it transpired that freehold currently being sold by an older couple to a company. News to me, and annoying. Means certain enquiries can only be answered by new freeholder.
    • Sale of freehold completed mid-March
    • Searches finished end of March
    • start of April I tell my conveyancer that if still no answer on loadbearing walls question by end of April I'll pull out. She beefs this up somewhat and tells seller's people that if we are not in a position to exchange by end of April I'll pull out. I doubt we'll get responses to outstanding enquiries by then as freeholders/managing agents are notorious - we are apparently waiting on them providing a Leasehold Information Pack.
    • Mid-April I have a full shortlst of other properties that I'll start viewing soon.
      At the same time I know that all properties are hell to buy and I might as well just wait this one out. I don't think I'll be in there before end of June.

Very frustrated indeed.
    Might as well just give in to the full horror of it though.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 14th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    We now have a completion date after 3 months - I can't believe in one week and 2 days I will be a home owner!

Now for the paying down the mortgage
    If our rate is 1.84% is it better to pay overpayments to 10% as quick as possible or try and find a higher interest account and pay off a large sum after the 2 years fixed rate has ended?

Thanks
    • WatsonL212
    • By WatsonL212 15th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WatsonL212
    Hi all thought I would join in.

Our house went on the market 2/3
    Accepted offer 3/3
    Viewed house 22/3
    Made offer 23/3
    Closing date 27/3
    Offer accepted 27/3
    Mortgage approved 4/4
    Letters back and forth to solicitor 're building warrant for our house.
    13/4 Sent updated building warrant to solicitor.

We can't currently agree on a completion date and I'm starting to panic. I don't want to loose my dream house !!!128546;
    • GoingOn30
    • By GoingOn30 15th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    GoingOn30
    Spendingqueen you're right you can probably get better than 1.84% in a current or savings account. The hard thing is not to touch it before you next remortgage whereas if you overpay then you don't have the option so self control is required!
    It's good to build up a savings pot for emergencies though, so try and put it somewhere earning 3-5%.
    • Ogriv
    • By Ogriv 15th Apr 18, 2:20 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Ogriv
    Hi all thought I would join in.

Our house went on the market 2/3
    Accepted offer 3/3
    Viewed house 22/3
    Made offer 23/3
    Closing date 27/3
    Offer accepted 27/3
    Mortgage approved 4/4
    Letters back and forth to solicitor 're building warrant for our house.
    13/4 Sent updated building warrant to solicitor.

We can't currently agree on a completion date and I'm starting to panic. I don't want to loose my dream house !!!128546;
    Originally posted by WatsonL212
    So many emotions, I know how you feel. But it doesn't sound as though you have run into any obstacles yet.
    • WatsonL212
    • By WatsonL212 15th Apr 18, 3:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WatsonL212
    Thank you. I'm glad someone understands the stress. !!!55357;!!!56842;
    • tudorfan22
    • By tudorfan22 16th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    tudorfan22
    well I guess today is the day that my EA approaches my buyer with my offer and I get to see if I can sleep at night again! TBH my EA sounded slightly cheesed off with me this morning, dunno if its with the situation, with the fact that its Monday or because he had '80 emails' in his inbox. hope that doesn't affect how the negotiations go. I don't think Ive spent a more horrible weekend, I could've cried all weekend, I did a bit, but in my car - where my OH cant see! I just am sick with waiting, I don't know what is going to happen next and I cant sleep or eat or relax until I know. and now im frantically wondering what is going on right now. a part of me is even worried that its such bad news that the EA doesn't want to break it to me and is delaying. urrrgh I hate all this waiting and gnashing of teeth! I wont rest easy until im in my new house, or at least until/if I exchange contracts! then I shall exhale!
    )

• pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 16th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    well I guess today is the day!
    Originally posted by tudorfan22
    Good luck. Hope it all goes as you hope.
    Thinking of you at this stupidly stressful time.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 16th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Exchanged on our house sale last Wednesday and completed in the Thursday, living with parents a week.

Unfortunately our house purchase vendor couldn!!!8217;t align to the same date and proposed April 20th - yet our solicitor is chasing them to exchange to lock this date in and supposedly it wouldn!!!8217;t be done by 1pm today but still no one word an hour after this time.

Our removal service is pushing us to book because it!!!8217;s a popular date but I!!!8217;m not locking myself into a 60% cancellation fee if he then tries to push back a week. Saturday and Sunday is fully booked so will be frustrating if there are much more delays and we miss out
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 16th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Exchanged on our house sale last Wednesday and completed in the Thursday, living with parents a week
    Originally posted by ashe
    Good luck!! Hope you get it sorted today. Got everything crossed for you. I understand the stress completely.

We were supposed to be at my parents for 3 weeks after my sale went through end January, completion on new place expected mid- Feb. We are still waiting! No date for exchange yet!
    Hope you have significantly better luck than us.
    • tudorfan22
    • By tudorfan22 16th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    tudorfan22
    well ive heard back from EA, our vendor if taking our offer of £5k away to mull over. he doesn't know if it'll be enough. she is mainly concerned with the roof she said apparently she could 'see daylight at the back of the house' well the majority of the back of the house is a flat roof which is - I understand - cheaper than a tiled roof? that's gotta be better, right? my ea said he didn't get the vibe that the buyer wants to pull out but she did seem affronted that I thought the work was cosmetic, but its hard for me to make an assumption when I don't know what 'the work' is, having not seen the builders report. the only thing he suggested was to get builders/roofers quotes but its hard when im not sure which roof she refers to or if it will even make a difference. I feel like she has us by the short and curlies and can basically say any figure she wants!
    )

• ashe
    • By ashe 16th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Good luck!! Hope you get it sorted today. Got everything crossed for you. I understand the stress completely.

We were supposed to be at my parents for 3 weeks after my sale went through end January, completion on new place expected mid- Feb. We are still waiting! No date for exchange yet!
    Hope you have significantly better luck than us.
    Originally posted by pink_pirlie
    Thanks, we have now exchanged - huge relief!

Got two bengal cats, one in cattery the other with us at parents and they have a huge dog so it has been interesting!
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 16th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Yey!!! Congrats Ashe!! Bet that’s an amazing feeling. Will be even better once you have the keys.
    Enjoy your new home!
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 17th Apr 18, 11:52 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lena_halo
    I'd like to join please! Long time lurker

Buying a three-bed townhouse with my boyfriend. He's a FTB but I have a shared ownership flat so unfortunately we are not eligible for any SDLT discount!

20th March - confirmed sale of shared ownership flat from HA
    26th March - viewed house
    27th March - put offer in, offer accepted. Vendors are buying a new build, due for completion May/June so have part-exchanged the house we are buying so we are essentially buying from the part-exchange company but can't complete until vendor's new build is completed.
    31st March - meeting with MA, applied for mortgage with Nationwide, solicitors instructed for both sale and purchase, B&C insurance and Life Assurance sorted ready to go ahead on completion date.
    3rd April - Text from Nationwide to confirm they have received our application and mortgage product has been reserved.
    5th April - Text from Nationwide to confirm they have valuation report and are reviewing.
    9th April - Memo of sale received for purchase.
    12th April - Memo of sale received for sale. Drainage search returned for purchase.
    13th April - Document pack sent to solicitors for both sale and purchase. Environmental search returned for purchase.
    17th April - LA search returned for the purchase.

Seems like the searches have come back really quickly and I know our solicitor is working on the contract pack from the seller's solicitor so this seems to be going smoothly so far. We are using a Conveyancing Connect service with a local solicitor, who I think are quite small but it means we have an online portal where documents are uploaded and we can more or less see where we are in the process, which is great but I am continually logging in hoping to see more ticks in boxes!

The flat I've sold is leasehold so I'm hoping the HA lawyers don't take forever in sending the leasehold pack through and doing everything they need to that end. The HA are not the fastest moving, but I hope their lawyers are better?! Fingers crossed otherwise I think we will be ready to complete on our purchase way before the sale!

We are in a chain of 3 - FTB buying my flat, us buying our townhouse, our sellers moving into a new build so quite short but obviously completion date will depend on completion of the new build and I know they tend to run over! June is good for my buyer and us so will have to wait and see what happens!

Will be checking in to keep up to date with everyone and no doubt ranting and moaning myself as the stress starts to build
    • notanotherknot
    • By notanotherknot 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    notanotherknot
    Still here...still not exchanged...still going grey!!

21st Nov 2017 - House Listed on Rightmove
    29th Nov 2017 – First Viewing
    3rd Dec 2017 - Second Viewing - Appointment made with broker
    5th Dec 2017 - Meeting with Broker - AIP received
    6th Dec 2017 -
    First Offer put in and accepted
    12th Dec 2017 - Natwest instruct survey to be completed & Countrywide instructed to act as conveyancers.
    20th Dec 2017 - Homebuyer survey conducted
    21st Dec 2017 - Mortgage offer received
    3rd Jan 2018 - All documentation signed and sent special delivery to conveyancers
    10th Jan 2018 - Roofer instructed to assess property based on survey results
    24th Jan 2018 - Enquiries completed in full
    30th Jan 2018 - Searches Satisfactory & Insurance details provided
    8th March 2018 - Invoice received from solicitors

Updates:

16th March 2018 - Original date for exchange - this fell apart on 12th March when they realised the power of attorney docs for the top of the chain were missing!

3rd April 2018 - Email received from Countrywide asking us to 'Rate our CCS Lawyer' - when the work hasn't even completed!! At this point I asked if the person purchasing the top of the chain house was prepared to break the chain so the rest of us could proceed. never got an answer.

6th April 2018 - Email received from broker advising Deed of Surrender was now required to sort the house at the top of the chain. Furious that this had only just come to light.

13th April 2018 - Vendor purchasing top of the chain house refuses to break the chain. I threaten to pull out and started my house search again, requesting 3 viewings on Friday just gone.

17th April 2018 - Confirmation that Land Registry have now received and processed the Deed of Surrender so we can set a date for exchange
    (viewings cancelled)

Praying that I get an exchange date soon, I cant cope with this stress! How do people move more than once.

Congratulations to those who have finally completed!
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 17th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Morata_
    Surely people can celebrate at Exchange?

Ive seen some "good luck" replies to exchange updates and thought surely people haven't then completed???
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 17th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lena_halo
    Still here...still not exchanged...still going grey!!

21st Nov 2017 - House Listed on Rightmove
    29th Nov 2017 – First Viewing
    3rd Dec 2017 - Second Viewing - Appointment made with broker
    5th Dec 2017 - Meeting with Broker - AIP received
    6th Dec 2017 -
    First Offer put in and accepted
    12th Dec 2017 - Natwest instruct survey to be completed & Countrywide instructed to act as conveyancers.
    20th Dec 2017 - Homebuyer survey conducted
    21st Dec 2017 - Mortgage offer received
    3rd Jan 2018 - All documentation signed and sent special delivery to conveyancers
    10th Jan 2018 - Roofer instructed to assess property based on survey results
    24th Jan 2018 - Enquiries completed in full
    30th Jan 2018 - Searches Satisfactory & Insurance details provided
    8th March 2018 - Invoice received from solicitors

Updates:

16th March 2018 - Original date for exchange - this fell apart on 12th March when they realised the power of attorney docs for the top of the chain were missing!

3rd April 2018 - Email received from Countrywide asking us to 'Rate our CCS Lawyer' - when the work hasn't even completed!! At this point I asked if the person purchasing the top of the chain house was prepared to break the chain so the rest of us could proceed. never got an answer.

6th April 2018 - Email received from broker advising Deed of Surrender was now required to sort the house at the top of the chain. Furious that this had only just come to light.

13th April 2018 - Vendor purchasing top of the chain house refuses to break the chain. I threaten to pull out and started my house search again, requesting 3 viewings on Friday just gone.

17th April 2018 - Confirmation that Land Registry have now received and processed the Deed of Surrender so we can set a date for exchange
    (viewings cancelled)

Praying that I get an exchange date soon, I cant cope with this stress! How do people move more than once.

Congratulations to those who have finally completed!
    Originally posted by notanotherknot
    What a PITA notanotherknot!!!
    We've only just started and I'm already stating I'm never moving again! I dread to think of the stresses to come!!!
    • lena_halo
    • By lena_halo 17th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lena_halo
    Surely people can celebrate at Exchange?

Ive seen some "good luck" replies to exchange updates and thought surely people haven't then completed???
    Originally posted by Morata_
    Yes I believe once Exchange takes place, it's legally binding and everyone must complete on the agreed date. Definitely time for celebration!!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 17th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Yes I believe once Exchange takes place, it's legally binding and everyone must complete on the agreed date. Definitely time for celebration!!
    Originally posted by lena_halo

There is a huge thread on here where someone’s vendor changed their mind after exchange so it can happen! It’s a great read.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

1,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin