PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax Impication for re-evaluation when gifting a property?

Hi

Is it important to evaluate the value of the property when I gift it to my wife? Does it have any tax implication for the future when it comes to letting & selling. etc?

It shows the value has increased since I bought it

Thanks for any suggestion.

Comments

• Daniel54
    Daniel54 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If or when your wife comes to sell the property,the capital gain will be based on the difference between the selling price and the original cost when you purchased it.

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/gifts
  • Hi

thanks from the link I think the capital gain should be based on the difference between the selling price and the value at the time of my wife own it? rather than the price when I bought it

is that correct?
  • Daniel54
    Daniel54 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

thanks from the link I think the capital gain should be based on the difference between the selling price and the value at the time of my wife own it? rather than the price when I bought it

is that correct?

That is not what it says in the link provided

If you gift your wife the property,she is deemed to have acquired it at the price you paid for it.

This is an old article but sets things out pretty clearly.

https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/681-How_to_Correctly_Gift_Property_to_Spouses.html
  • cidfenmaria
    cidfenmaria Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:32PM
    thanks

"Their gain or loss will be calculated from when you or they first owned it."

is this not saying on the date of my wife (first) own it?

or it has to be at the time of me first own it

Would I not bother evaluating the property prior to gifting then?
  • thanks

"Their gain or loss will be calculated from when you or they first owned it."

is this not saying on the date of my wife (first) own it?

or it has to be at the time of me first own it

Would I not bother evaluating the property prior to gifting then?
    If you read very carefully, you will notice that spouses are treated differently (my words) "as one unit".

Transfers between spouses are deemed as nil gain or loss, and disposal is offset against the original purchase price for CGT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure