Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Income Tax and Tax Credits - Please Help
    • #1
    • 21st Dec 12, 9:50 AM
    Income Tax and Tax Credits - Please Help 21st Dec 12 at 9:50 AM
    From June 2011 until October 2012 I unfortunately found myself in the position of being unemployed and claiming JSA.

    I got my first pay last month with my new job and didnt have any PAYE Deduction (did have one for NI however). I believe this was due to my tax code of 810L meaning I have to earn over £8100 in tax year before paying PAYE. Is this correct?

    Further to this, I made a claim for Working Tax Credits for the past year and recieved a payment from them today with a letter saying I'll be reciving a weekly payments up until 08/04/2013.

    With me not paying any PAYE at the moment and if I'm right, I don't expect to until around April 2013, I feel as if there is something wrong here and don't want to get any issues down the line. I'm not paying any tax but yet reciving tax credits? Surely the tax man isn't this lenient?

    Can anyone please give some advice or let me know that this is normal?
Page 1
  • CAB Birmingham representative
    • #2
    • 21st Dec 12, 11:18 AM
    • #2
    • 21st Dec 12, 11:18 AM
    Thank you for your e-mail

    The calculation for Working Tax Credits can be complicated and you are right to be concerned. We would initially refer you to our website and if you type into our search bar "working tax credits" you will get a useful fact sheet on eligibility and how the credits are calculated.

    It does recommend that you consult an experienced adviser in this and we would suggest contacting your local bureau or accessing our telephone advice line on 08444 77 10 10 could be helpful.

    Also on the fact sheet is the following helpline no which could be of help for issues rearding working tax credit

    The helpline number is 0345 300 3900 (textphone 0345 300 3909) and calls cost the same as a local telephone call.

    We would suggest that any contact you make at this stage that you keep a copy of all correspondence and dates and times of contact.

    Please contact us at your earliest convenience to discuss this issue further

    Kind regards

    Birmingham CAB
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,246Posts Today

8,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

  • RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

  • RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

  • Follow Martin