National Express driver tried to half kidnap me from Heathrow to Victoria.

Comments

• So i've heard the update from NE.

They confirmed there were 3 more passengers due to alight at Heathrow and they couldn't offer any reason or understand why the driver "resisted calling at the airport" but there was no question about it not being the case so in my opinion the other passengers that were due to get off at Heathrow have complained too.

They checked and confirmed i was definitely on the right coach/service and they apologised on behalf of the driver for his behaviour and also for his treatment of the luggage.

They've said the manager for the service is going to speak further with the driver and take any action needed to make sure that behaviour doesn't happen again so that is positive as it really was odd. Maybe just a bad day i don't know.

I'm still none the wiser as to what the reason was...and neither are NE by the sounds of it but i just hope the other 3 passengers made it back in time.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So i've heard the update from NE.

They confirmed there were 3 more passengers due to alight at Heathrow and they couldn't offer any reason or understand why the driver "resisted calling at the airport" but there was no question about it not being the case so in my opinion the other passengers that were due to get off at Heathrow have complained too.

They checked and confirmed i was definitely on the right coach/service and they apologised on behalf of the driver for his behaviour and also for his treatment of the luggage.

They've said the manager for the service is going to speak further with the driver and take any action needed to make sure that behaviour doesn't happen again so that is positive as it really was odd. Maybe just a bad day i don't know.

I'm still none the wiser as to what the reason was...and neither are NE by the sounds of it but i just hope the other 3 passengers made it back in time.
    At least they are supporting your story, but I'm surprised they didn't offer a simple "goodwill gesture" such as a free ticket, as an apology. Maybe they figure you got off anyway at your intended destination, so nothing was due to you.
    Can't believe there were 3 other passengers who weren't able to get off. Maybe they kicked off later as they realised the coaqch was leaving the airport.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Thanks victor2, no they didn't offer a gesture. Yes i really hope the other 3 passengers managed to make it back in time. I wonder what happened after i got off and at what point did they realise they had missed their stop.

I think they must have kicked off as NE were very apologetic, an explanation would have been nice given the length of time i had to wait as i'm still none the wiser as to why the driver didn't seem to want to let people off at Heathrow. Maybe it's one of these things i will never know.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I’ve complained to NE after 3 out of 4 trips not having seats reserved (and because it was a nice seat someone was in it).

First time I got my whole ticket fee refunded (£15) as they messed me around.
    Second time I got the seat reservation fees back plus a voucher.

Unfortunately no sign of a long term resolution.

I am not disabled so don’t urgently need the seat just commenting that they don’t seem very well organised and the drivers are not always helpful and on my route they are on a very tight schedule so don’t want to spend time resolving issues.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think they must have kicked off as NE were very apologetic, an explanation would have been nice given the length of time i had to wait as i'm still none the wiser as to why the driver didn't seem to want to let people off at Heathrow. Maybe it's one of these things i will never know.
    What you have missed is that the driver would not be employed by National Express, but by the coach company that "operated" the service. To get any meaningful explanation you would have had to contact that coach company.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What you have missed is that the driver would not be employed by National Express, but by the coach company that "operated" the service. To get any meaningful explanation you would have had to contact that coach company.

National Express is the coach company! The drivers are employees... maybe some temp staff are contracted, but the majority are employees.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    National Express is the coach company! The drivers are employees... maybe some temp staff are contracted, but the majority are employees.
    It is not particularly easy to find, but from wikipedia;

"Franchised operators
    The majority of National Express services are contracted on long-term agreements to local coach companies, known as Partner Operators. As part of the contract, operators are required to use coaches in full National Express livery. On occasion, an operator will use its own branded vehicle due to lack of availability, but will be penalised financially for doing so. ..............
    National Express does operate some services itself, primarily services between Gatwick, Heathrow and Luton airports, and Victoria Coach Station, London Liverpool Street and Woking.
    Below is a list of partner operators:
    • Ambassador Travel,Great Yarmouth
    • Bennetts Coaches,Gloucester
    • Bruce's Co..................................................................."
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    National Express does operate some services itself, primarily services between Gatwick, Heathrow and Luton airports, and Victoria Coach Station, London Liverpool Street and Woking.

If only this thread had been about one of those particular services...
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,807 Forumite

Who may well tell you that you are not their customer and had no contract with them and therefore refuse to engage with you.
    What sort of explanation does the OP want beyond the fact that the driver is an imbecile
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    bazzyb wrote: »
    If only this thread had been about one of those particular services...
    And what do you think the word primarily means ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure