Salt lamps

Hi! I have a big Salt rock that was gifted to me by a friend and i want to make it as a salt lamp but im afraid I end up destroying it should i do it or just buy it?

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What would you do with it if you don't try to make it into a salt lamp? If the answer is nothing, give it a go.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I am still lost on the meaning of salt lamp :o

Do you mean that you want to make a lamp by using the rock as a base?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The lamps are quite cheap these days. If the rock has sentimental value I'd just buy a lamp if I wanted one and keep the rock as an ornament.

To make a lamp is quite 'complex' as you have to carve it out and find/buy fixings to get the bulb inside, make/buy a base, fit it to the base, ensure the bulb/electrical wire are safe. Just buy a lamp.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am still lost on the meaning of salt lamp :o

Do you mean that you want to make a lamp by using the rock as a base?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=salt+lamp&crid=RTDUNDWH8TJD&sprefix=salt+%2Caps%2C188&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    Forumite
    Why would anyone want to do that with a piece of rock? A nice lamp to show off the piece of rock sitting next to it - that I can understand.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,858
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 26 January 2020 at 6:37AM
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to do that with a piece of rock? A nice lamp to show off the piece of rock sitting next to it - that I can understand.

Its not a normal rock, its a salt rock. Some people are led to believe that there are health benefits, Himalayan salt lamps are claimed to improve air quality, boost mood and help you sleep. However, there is currently little evidence to support these claims

71jL8rS-CPL._SL1500_.jpg
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116
    Forumite
    A large enough lamp in a small enough room can do a lot to help asthma (sample size: 1 person. Controlled experiment: not remotely!), even for someone who was heavily cynical about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure