MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Lynndelou wrote: »
    We were with o2 for home phone and broadband and were very happy - Sky well thats a different story - was offered broadband free for a year, then the story changed as we did not want the free Sky TV for a year ( we do not watch much TV and did not want the hassle of the installation) we were then told if we did not take the free TV, that we would have to pay a supplement for the Broadband and phone, so for less we would be paying more - not a happy customer so will be looking to take my custom elsewhere. Does this make any economic sense for Sky to come out, install the equipment and then have to remove it at the end of the year as we will not use it - Duh!!!
    It's a ploy to hopefully get u hooked as a Sky TV customer so even after 12 months u will continue the sub
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...I have been seeking out viable alternatives, and from my search today this interesting result was listed - Its from an ISP i've never heard of called TITAN-ADSL (sounds like a pharmaceutical product) titan-adsl.co.uk - in their about us section there is a link about products for O2/Be customers, I had a look and they state they have combined phone and Broadband offers as well...I will take a look further into this but would appreciate if more eyes could be caste upon them to check their legitimacy.
    If they have already been mentioned then my apologies.

I was with them a few years ago. They were Entanet resellers. At first they were fantastic. I think it was run by two blokes in their bedroom, pretty much! But they were really helpful and had a passion for what they were doing. They knew networking inside-out.

One day something went wrong and I called them up for help... and couldn't get through. I tried for a few days and couldn't get through. Finally (after a few weeks) I get through and was told that they had a fire in their offices which had taken out the phone system and everything was a mess... I wasn't sure I believed them, so I asked for a MAC key so I could migrate the service to another provider. To cut a long story short, it didn't arrive despite several promises and I had to involve Ofcom to get one.

As it turned out, the problem was my own fault (someone in the house had plugged in a phone without using a microfilter), but I was worried by the fact that I couldn't get through for so long.

From what I've heard, they genuinely did have a fire... But, being such a small company, a little hiccup like that caused a lot of problems. So I moved to BE in the end as they had 24-hour support and I thought they would have more contingency planning in case anything happened.

The people running Titan seemed like decent and knowledgeable chaps... I wish them well. I just wish there was a company a little larger, with 24-hour technical support from people who are actually technically-minded... BE seemed to be the only option.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the issue of Sky not forcing ex-02 BB users to take up the Sky landline as well. That can still be the case, but you can be assured that those who opt for only Sky BB but remain with their BT landline (or whoever provides it other than Sky) will pay a premium to do so compared to the charges for bundled Sky BB and landline. I doubt it will match the £9.50 I pay on the 02 legacy BB with the mobile discount.
    I have just paid for BT line Saver and PlusNet BB look the most likely next step but no rush, I will keep my options open.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Likewise options open as i don't want to join the Sky bandwagon .

Judged by the number of adverts and thousands of kiosks selling Sky must be a huge amount of churn.

jje
  • Funfi
    Funfi Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have McAfee through my O2 broadband; currently it's free on an ongoing basis.
    On the Sky website Q&A, it says McAfee will be supplied only on a 12-month trial basis, I assume meaning that you will have to pay for it after a year.:(
    Has anyone else noticed this and if so, what do you plan to do - pay extra or find an alternative? Does anyone have any good ideas for alternatives?
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    plusnet offer it for free too
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Funfi wrote: »
    On the Sky website Q&A, it says McAfee will be supplied only on a 12-month trial basis, I assume meaning that you will have to pay for it after a year.:(
    Has anyone else noticed this and if so, what do you plan to do - pay extra or find an alternative? Does anyone have any good ideas for alternatives?

One might not use McAfee in the first place.
    The are fair few free options and inexpensive paid options. For instance this copy of Kaspersky Internet Security for £5.35.
    You download the latest version from their website and activate it with the product key on the box.
    Go to the Tech forum for more specific advice.
  • thegrail
    thegrail Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Funfi wrote: »

I've been quite happy to ditch paid for anti-virus and just go for Microsoft Security Essentials if you have Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. It's included in Windows 8.
  • lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    McAfee would not have been my first choice but as it came free with my BB package I decided to use it. Had nothing but problems with it despite keeping it bang up to date so I now use Kaspersky.

Having since spoken to several IT guys about the problems I had they have all advised me against using it as its the one program that gives them the most hassle.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got my "free" unlimited broadband for a year by leaving BE for Plusnet. With £4.99 for the first 12 month and £70 cashback from TCB they even pay me for having Broadband.:beer: On top of that the line rental saver is even cheaper than BT's.

After one year I will decide again...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport