EDF changed my tariff

Options
renegadefm
renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
Hi,
EDF changed my tariff when I agreed to have a smart meter, but they didnt mention they would be changing the tarrif from the Blue fixed plan I was on that meant no price increase for the term to a different tarrif called safeguard assist capped (E7)
This is something I never agreed to, so when I rang EDF about they just said we needed to change the tarrif due to the blue tarrif doesnt work with the smart meters. But why was I not told this when I agreed to have the smart meter?

I kept getting emails in the months leading up to me agreeing to have a smart meter suggesting I need it and that the deadline is 2023 to have a smart meter, and when am I booking an instillation date. So I eventually gave in. But I was reluctant because I heard of cases where some customers were complaining of things like on the pay as you go tarrifs that their money was going down quicker, which made it seem like their consumption has increased, yet the exact same things were being used prior to the snart meter instillation. So I was reluctant at first, but now me too is suffering this problem of our money we budget out for electric each month isnt lasting anywhere near as this time last year for example. And nothing has changed electrically.

But now I notice the tarrif has actually changed compared to this time last year against my will. So can I revert back to the prepayment meter we used to have? As it seems the blue tarrif we were on no longer works with smart meters, but we seem to be conned into being on a more expencive tarrif, something that obviously we didnt notice straight away. Its only now we can confirm the amount we used to set aside for electric is draining away much quicker.

This is our tarrif:

Safeguard Assist Capped (E7)

Payment Plan
Pay As You Go (PAYG)
My unit rates
Electricity day unit rate: 21.20p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 11.40p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 24.11p per day

What can I do about this? EDF doesnt seem to want to help.

Comments

• WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2020 at 1:38PM
    Options
    renegadefm wrote: »
    Hi,
    EDF changed my tariff when I agreed to have a smart meter, but they didnt mention they would be changing the tarrif from the Blue fixed plan I was on that meant no price increase for the term to a different tarrif called safeguard assist capped (E7)
    This is something I never agreed to, so when I rang EDF about they just said we needed to change the tarrif due to the blue tarrif doesnt work with the smart meters. But why was I not told this when I agreed to have the smart meter?

I kept getting emails in the months leading up to me agreeing to have a smart meter suggesting I need it and that the deadline is 2023 to have a smart meter, and when am I booking an instillation date. So I eventually gave in. But I was reluctant because I heard of cases where some customers were complaining of things like on the pay as you go tarrifs that their money was going down quicker, which made it seem like their consumption has increased, yet the exact same things were being used prior to the snart meter instillation. So I was reluctant at first, but now me too is suffering this problem of our money we budget out for electric each month isnt lasting anywhere near as this time last year for example. And nothing has changed electrically.

But now I notice the tarrif has actually changed compared to this time last year against my will. So can I revert back to the prepayment meter we used to have? As it seems the blue tarrif we were on no longer works with smart meters, but we seem to be conned into being on a more expencive tarrif, something that obviously we didnt notice straight away. Its only now we can confirm the amount we used to set aside for electric is draining away much quicker.

This is our tarrif:

Safeguard Assist Capped (E7)

Payment Plan
    Pay As You Go (PAYG)
    My unit rates
    Electricity day unit rate: 21.20p per kWh
    Electricity night unit rate: 11.40p per kWh
    Daily standing charge: 24.11p per day

What can I do about this? EDF doesnt seem to want to help.

If you feel you have cause for complaint, have you tried following the supplier's complaint procedure?

But you agreed to have a smart meter. They won't take it out if you've now changed your mind. Suppliers are under pressure to encourage us all to take up smart metering.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there are no exit fees, I wouldn't waste time trying to resolve this. Get on a comparison website, find a cheaper supplier and switch, as those rates are extortionate.
  • renegadefm
    Options
    WholsThat, yeah but I agreed reluctantly at first due to hearing complaints about their electric usage seems to have gone up when they know it hasent. But I chose to ignore that combined with the pressure from EDF to change it I eventually gave in.

My point is when I rang to complain they said we had to change the tarrif so it works with my smart meter but I didnt agree to this or was told it would need to change with the smart meter instillation.

Obviously I gave it some more time to give it a chance to see how its going rather than dig deeper with my complaint, but its clear now the money we set aside each month for electric bills has gone before the month is up compared to this time last year.

Why are EDF conning people this way by changing tarrifs in an illegitimate way.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    Ditch and switch, otherwise you'll have only yourself to blame if you choose to keep paying those extortionate rates.

In comparison, I'm paying 16.0083p/kWh day, 8.74545p/kWh night, 7.3731p standing charge with Yorkshire Energy E7, and about to go down to 12.113p/kWh, 13.283p standing charge single rate with Neon Reef.
  • renegadefm
    Options
    Gerry1, yes thanks I will change companies.
    I was going to at least give EDF a chance to sort it before I switch based on the fact the changed my tarrif against my will.
    They certainly didnt mention my tarrif would need to change with the instillation of the smart meter which is unprofessional to me.

Could I just go back to the old meter so I could go back to my blue tarrif and stay with EDF? Or you definetly recommend switching?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    You probably can't go back and it's probably expired anyway; that was then and this is now. Just find the best available tariff, making sure you use sites that show all suppliers such as Neon Reef (most don't, so start with Citizens Advice and Which?), then see whether anyone gives cashback with your preferred supplier.

Avoid pre-payment because it costs more. You can just check the readings carefully and do the sums instead.
  • renegadefm
    Options
    Gerry1. We found we were using less electric or seemed like that with the prepayment meter thats the thing.

The reason I mentioned going back to the prepayment meter is if that's the only way to go back the cheaper blue tarrif I was on then thats what I will push EDF into doing or threaten to leave them.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    renegadefm wrote: »
    Gerry1. We found we were using less electric or seemed like that with the prepayment meter thats the thing.

The reason I mentioned going back to the prepayment meter is if that's the only way...…………... to go back the cheaper blue tarrif I was on then thats what I will push EDF into doing or threaten to leave them.

You can't go back if that tariff has run out (please do tell us the name of the actual tariff- from an email, or a letter)

Edf won't care if you leave.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Options
    You suffered a missed opportunity. You should have gone for a credit meter when you switched to a smart meter (assuming you are not forced into it by a landlord). Not sure if modern smart meters can handle both credit and prepayment roles. If they can, push for a change to a credit meter and ask them to put you on their cheapest tariff or switch.
  • renegadefm
    Options
    Swipe, thanks for the info but what exactly is a credit meter? How do they work? Can we still top up like a pay as you go or prepayment meter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure