PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homebuyer's Report: everything 2s except for only one 1

istanor
istanor Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 22 January 2019 at 11:51AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi everyone,

We are in the process of buying a 2004, three-storey terraced house in the East Midlands. We believe we made a good offer (below asking price). Mortgage's valuation went through and just received our independent Homebuyer Survey.
I am trying to get hold of the surveyor to better understand the report. However, as FTB I would also appreciate other people's opinions.

There are no 3s in the report. However, except for the Roof structure being rated as 1, everything else is rated as 2.

Exterior:
Roof: moss lichen on some tiles and one hairline crack in a ridge. stained dormer wall. Parapet walls: heavily stained brickwork and coping
Gutters: stained joints and slight misalignment. He recommends gutters should be adjusted, refalled and the joints checked
Walls: spalled sections and hairline cracks on the pointing. stained brickwork and efflorescence. moss lichen on some mortar joints. Recommend local repointing
Movement: Property has undergone a degree of movement since the first time the property was built, however there was no evidence of any major movement or distortion.
Windows: some heavily stained
PVC doorsets: some stains

Interior:
Ceilings: one thermal crack in one bedroom
Walls: one thermal crack in ensuite windowhead
Floors: crinkled carpet on one bedroom. Localised settlement of the Kitchen floor ( gap of over 5mm beneath the skirtingboard)
Bathrooms: stiff taps on one bedroom

Ground:
Integral garage: uneven ground on one corner
Small wall separates integral garage and door: 2 damaged bricks, moss lichen

It may be due to inexperience (first time buyer) but I was expecting more 1s being the property less than 20yo. Being everything flagged as CR 2 got me a bit worried. I am trying to think the surveyor is being very conservative.
The interior does not bother me much but I was surprised of how many little defects he's found on the exterior...
Is this normal for a 15 year old terrace house? Should I worry getting quotes for repointing? Is this something I need to negotiate with the seller and reduce the price?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What did the crinkled carpet get? Was that a two? If so you can compare all the other 2s to the cost of uncrinkling a carpet.
  • Thanks for the comment. That also got a 2 under "Interior: Floors". But there was also a localised settlement on the Kitchen floor tiles. Hence, those two gave the 2 (post edited above).

I think I get what you mean. I shouldn't worry too much
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The only thing in all of that that I would remotely take notice of is the spalled sections and hairline cracking in the pointing, not because it's a problem as such, but because 20 years is too early to need repointing IMO and would make me wonder about the quality of materials used in the build. Even then, though, it wouldn't put me off if I liked the house otherwise. The rest of it isn't even worth noting imo, normal for a house of that age.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So you have a useful list of non-urgent jobs to do over the summer. Clean the stains, get up a ladder and fix the gutters, stick some interior plaster in the hairline cracks.

All if you care enough and can be bothered.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,913
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Blimey, if I'd got that lot on the one we bought I'd be dancing in the street. We've got to replace lintels.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Thank you everyone for your replies!! Great to hear it is not a big deal. I know nothing about building materials and standards in the UK, hence your feedback is great.
    Regarding the spalled sections, he does not mention where they are. The hairline cracks are reported as two minor hairline cracks on the rear wall around the window. I will try to clarify these things when I phone him if this is the most "serious" issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure