Rent Increase

Old_Git
Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
Question for tenants and landlords in Northern Ireland.
How often do you or your landlord increase the rent ,and by how much.

I have tried increase rents in between tenants but now I have two long term tenants .
I am working on the idea small increases annually is better than a big increase .
"Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"

Comments

• Old_Git
    Why should you be raising rents at all? This is a time of marked economic uncertainty and most people have not had any increase in income for several years.
    Who are you to ask advice on squeezing more money out of people less fortunate than yourself on a website designed to help people save?

I a raising rents as mortgage has increased ,insurance has increased ,Rates have increased annually .If you dont like my posts asking for advice then dont comment .
  • Old_Git
    edited 20 January 2019 at 10:38AM
    I’m commenting on your entitled ability to exploit your tenants - ripping them off.
    I’m sure there’s some slum landlords’ website more suited to your greedy problem.

Also, mortgages are at historic lows, insurance has been pretty much static and my rates haven’t changed much.
    Mortgages increased 2.1% insurance has increased £40 per policy .LPS Rates increase annually.Rent is currently well below the market rate
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Goodness me. Mortgages are still at generational lows, a whopping £40, but let’s milk the tenants in your little empire to ensure you don’t suffer any reversal? Can’t have that.

Seriously?

Get off the guys back. You've no idea what the rent is he's charging currently relative to market prices or how good the property is or what cost pressures he's up against and he certainly doesnt have to justify why he's doing it to you or get your approval.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Seriously?

Get off the guys back. You've no idea what the rent is he's charging currently relative to market prices or how good the property is or what cost pressures he's up against and he certainly doesnt have to justify why he's doing it to you or get your approval.

Aye seriously. Heaven forfend he’d suck up the increases himself rather than making his tenants sweat. Hardly the forum for “how to make those poorer than me take the rap” tips, is it?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    edited 20 January 2019 at 12:43PM
    Aye seriously. Heaven forfend he’d suck up the increases himself rather than making his tenants sweat. Hardly the forum for “how to make those poorer than me take the rap” tips, is it?

Maybe he has been doing that but needs to now cover further incremental costs?

And how do you know his tenant is poorer than him?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 5:20PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    Maybe he has been doing that but needs to now cover further incremental costs?

And how do you know his tenant is poorer than him?

Well unless he’s running properties as an act of charity to the less fortunate, which would be very commendable.
    I don’t really see how a money savers’ website is an appropriate forum for seeking advice on how to squeeze people as an entitled member of the rentier class.

I do have to accept he may well be poorer than his tenants. The last property I rented, the eejit landlord had overreached himself to an extreme level in some madcap get rich quickn scheme during the bubble. He eventually went bust of course after trying forlornly to make us pay more rent - don’t look at me, man, not my problem. It was great - it was almost a year before we got a rent bill.

Perhaps his tenants are on housing benefit, so he’s only ripping off the state? Since that would be just your taxes heading his direction, you probably wouldn’t mind.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    Well unless he’s running properties as an act of charity to the less fortunate, which would be very commendable.
    I don’t really see how a money savers’ website is an appropriate forum for seeking advice on how to squeeze people as an entitled member of the rentier class.

I do have to accept he may well be poorer than his tenants. The last property I rented, the eejit landlord had overreached himself to an extreme level in some madcap get rich quickn scheme during the bubble. He eventually went bust of course after trying forlornly to make us pay more rent - don’t look at me, man, not my problem. It was great - it was almost a year before we got a rent bill.

Perhaps his tenants are on housing benefit, so he’s only ripping off the state? Since that would be just your taxes heading his direction, you probably wouldn’t mind.

How do you know hes wanting to make even more profit off his tenant? Whos to say hes making profit at all? It could well be - as the O/P has actually already told us in fact - that there are now costs that he can no longer absorb and needs to increase the rent. Have you considered how this may simply be to break even, rather than to make even more profit, which you've assumed?

Nor do you know what the rent currently is, what near future costs the O/P may be seeing, what that rent is relative to the marketplace currently or how well finished the property is in terms of VFM.

You're making a massive amount of assumptions and throwing an awful lot of vitriol at the O/P based on those assumptions.

Werent we told at one point on this forum how renters were actually the smart and often wealthy ones who were actually canny savers and that property owners were the fools?

Seems odd that you've assumed they're all poor and oppressed....
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    I reckon people almost expect an annual increase of a few percent but there are a lot of factors that can influence that.
    I haven't raised rent for around 5 years as none of my costs have gone up and I am perfectly happy with the current tenants and keen for them to stay.
  • redped
    redped Posts: 724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Old_Git wrote: »
    Question for tenants and landlords in Northern Ireland.
    How often do you or your landlord increase the rent ,and by how much.

Leaving aside qwert yuiop's anti-landlord rant, I'll reply to the OP and say that I don't raise the rent in my rental property; the previous tenant was in for 10+ years and the rent remained unchanged - this was due to a combination of:

(a) the typical rent for the area only rising about 15% in that period
    (b) the tenant sorting out several minor repair jobs themselves, and only mentioning it in passing at later dates

So I was happy to keep a good tenant on a lower rent - they only left when they inherited a property due to the death of a parent.

The current tenant is planning to be a long-term tenant (a distant relative who was looking to rent), so again I'm happy to leave the rent unchanged in the knowledge they'll help to look after the place.
  • Old_Git
    edited 20 January 2019 at 9:37PM

words fail me .Slum landlord .Well I have one tenant on housing benefit .I have no plans to increase that rent .I yes me ,the slum landlord paid for her heating oil being delivered tomorrow,paid for her driving lessons ,paid towards her electric ,paid a painter to finish the painting she started two years ago ,bought her kids christmas presents ,replaced her mobile phone as she had dropped hers down the toilet the week before christmas ,paid to get her washing machine fixed .So I suppose that makes me a slum landlord .The rent I am considering increasing both tenants are working .Currently they are paying £100 to £150 per month below the market rental value. Sorry as a slum landlord I have to justify my actions .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport