How generous is M&S?

Options
okigen
okigen Posts: 88 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 20 January 2019 at 2:07AM in Credit cards
Hi guys, I know this question has been asked a few times but the old threads I found here were all back to 5-10 years ago so just wanted to check any update ever since.. I need £3-4k for a purchase in the next few months, so applied for a M&S 0% credit card. Got approved immediately, but from reading MSE forum (really should have done this before applying!), it seems M&S gives very low credit limit. What is your experience with them? For a bit of background, my earnings is > 40k and my only other credit card is an Amex (7.5k limit, very low utilisation),

A bit worried I have shot myself in the foot and now left a stupid mark on my credit file for an useless card :(

Comments

• Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    To be honest other people’s experiences aren’t going to help you in the slightest as everyone’s circumstances are different, also the commercial decisions a lender makes with regards to how it sets limits is ever evolving.

Reality is you’ll just have to wait and see I’m afraid.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    your question would be the same as "how long is a piece of string"

will come down to your credit history and your individual circumstances.

one application wont have a massive impact.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As others say, a single search on a credit file won't have any impact. You can cancel the card instead of activating it if the limit is too low for your purposes. £3K-£4K is a low limit and they do offer more than that.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just take what you get and apply for another one or 2 TO-NIGHT
    you can always juggle your limits
  • kevChan
    kevChan Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    well, M&S bank is operated by HSBC.
    I have been a long time customer with HSBC and when I got my first job I applied their credit card, and they gave me a credit limit of 3 times of my monthly income.

For a 40k income I cant see why you would not be offered around 4k limit, but again, it depends on your circumstance (like when they check your credit report etc).
  • okigen
    Options
    Ok thank you guys. My main concern is that having an application mark will hinder my ability inapplying immediately for another one if they don't offer me a good limit, but guess I'll just wait and see then.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One search is nothing in the scheme of things
  • okigen
    Options
    Hi guys, just wanted to update the status. M&S process took forever so I am still waiting for my card. That said, to hedge my bet, I have also applied for a Barclays card and also got accepted. So all is good. Thanks to everyone for your advice
  • maxximus75
    Options
    Did you get a decent limit from MBNA?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to look at improving your financial circumstances so that you have some savings behind you so that £4k doesn't need a loan. This could otherwise be a slippery slope.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure