PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Comments

• thenanny2die4
    thenanny2die4 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just finding my way back onto the forums after a long break - this looks like being my favourite OS topic...
    dragonlily wrote: »
    Any ideas for lower waste toilet cleaner? I am down to my last bottle of my usual stuff.

I like to give our loo a good soak and scrub with citric acid and hot (not boiling) water. I buy the c.a. in wilko in a cardboard box.
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
  • I recently read that citric acid is good for loo cleaning so I tried it on an extremely stubborn limescale stain - I had already failed to remove it with bleach, Viacal and other toilet cleaner. It took 2 goes but the stain has completely gone.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good tip re where to buy citric acid, I was running out. I use it to descale the kettle as well as the toilets [hard water area]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    I am back and am finally over (pretty much at least) this cold and have some energy!

Yesterday, my aunty came and I now understand the absolute basics of setting up my daughter's new sewing machine. It took awhile as the machine was quite different to hers. My daughter made a pin cushion out of left over felt and stuffing from a previous craft project, so had something to show for it.

I had another totally non zero waste time in the afternoon, as cleared out our utility room and produced lots of paper recycling and general detritus, plus another huge bag of donations. As before, I can't undo what we have already had but can change buying decisions going forward. Good point is that the sewing machine and associated items now have a proper home for when not in use. Also I didn't buy anything yesterday at all. OH brought a couple of bits of food in we needed, and a new light for our front door (which is desperately needed as it is impossible to see the lock in the dark).

This morning I have had a long lie in, and now have the house to myself as OH has just left with our daughter to take her to her sewing lesson. As I have now entered the land of the living again, I am going to see how much I can get done in the house in two and a half hours. I'm thinking meal plan, online shop for click and collect on Monday, and a sort out of the box room / dumping room.

Grey Queen thanks for the tips, I could do with you being my neighbour :)

the nanny, thanks re the citric acid tip. We have a wilkinsons quite nearby so I'll pick some up, and give it a go. How much citric acid do you dissolve in the hot water roughly, and how often do you use it?

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday x
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I get citric acid online from https://www.baldwins.co.uk they are a treasure trove for all things herbal.

The other day I was about to descale the toilet with a couple spoonfuls citric acid, but had an accident with the bottom of the bag. All the 250g went in! Costly accident, bummer! But that toilet has never sparkled so much since it was bought!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • I used a kettle full of hot water and half a cup of citric acid. HTH.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    a kettle full of water and two heaped teaspoons. If there's any left after the first boil, I boil it again.
    I chuck a few teaspoons down the toilet and leave it overnight then scrub with the brush.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    -taff wrote: »
    a kettle full of water and two heaped teaspoons. If there's any left after the first boil, I boil it again.
    I chuck a few teaspoons down the toilet and leave it overnight then scrub with the brush.
    :) This is very interesting to me as I feel bad about using a toxic product to clean the loo but live in an extremely hard water area and limescale is a huge problem. Can I ask the CA users how frequently they use it to keep on top of limescale? Any tips would be greatfully received.

Just home from spending a couple of hours with my bezzie and the conversation ranged across various topics even zero waste. Pal is a beaver scout person and is working on crafty stuff with the littlies and is focussing her efforts on not creating landfill waste by crafting from plastics but ending up with a recyclable item, and working the recycling part of it into the craft. Good thinking, that woman.

I have also come away with several burned down candles which will be chiselled down into bits and melted to be reborn as new candles. That way avoids a lot of waste. The containers of two of them (a glass one and a pottery one) will also be cleaned up and returned to her. A bit less waste in the world cannot be a bad thing.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Great ideas. I have seen either on mse or pinterest, a link to make your own waxed fabric for sandwich use. They looked pretty simple, I will check again, though I must say using a make up bag was an idea too, as I get given these as presents then don't need them.
    I'm with grey queen on the market produce being dearer than supermarket, I certainly can't afford to buy them. Though if in sm I check that the loose is cheaper than packed and always refuse the bags.
    I have seen customers take the bags near the fruit, they grab a handful and take them home!!!!:(
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Can anyone point me to somewhere that sells large bottles of white vinegar?
    The small bottles don't last long!!
    At a low price!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure