Mortgage Protection Insurance

Options
Hi, looking for some help and advice. We foolishly accepted a 125% mortgage with Northern Rock in 2001. In 2004 after having our Daughter I had post natal depression (although I didn't know I had it at the time). I couldn't go back to work when I had planned to and ultimately the house was repossessed in August 2005. We have never been in a position to tackle the shortfall (part of which they structured as a loan and not part of the mortgage). More than 12 years has passed now and so my question is Can I look at claiming the payment protection insurance on both the mortgage and the loan and if I do can they still chase me for the loan amount? Btw, I am not proud of the fact that we owed them money but I do feel that they got us in over our heads from day 1 as we were very naive

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If a broker sold it to you, you have no hope of complaning about the sale of any MPPI sold with the mortgage.
    As for the loan/mortgage, they have 12 years to pursue for the shortfall, which goes from the date of default, not necessarily the date you didn't pay last, so make very sure you are not under the 12 years before you complain.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure