New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 8 September 2010 at 1:46PM in Flights, currency & car hire
This thread is specifically to discuss the new guide

Everyone needs ESTA for US travel
Click reply to discuss. Thanks!

Comments

• You don't need esta for a land crossing.

You need esta for a sea crossing.
  • Question: I have a valid ESTA which will expire in January 2011. I'm planning on going to the US after this date next year - can I submit a new form now so that I have another 2 years before I have to pay again?

Will this just invalidate my old ESTA and make the new one current?
  • Former_MSE_Natasha
    Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 2:08PM
    Yesterday was the last day to get it free. From today you have to pay the $14 per person charge.

You can reapply today (paying the fee) and if you're accepted it'll be valid till September 2012 (provided your passport doesn't expire before then). This will automatically cancel your current one and you'll be given a new reference number.

louby_lou wrote: »
    Question: I have a valid ESTA which will expire in January 2011. I'm planning on going to the US after this date next year - can I submit a new form now so that I have another 2 years before I have to pay again?

Will this just invalidate my old ESTA and make the new one current?
  • Oh no! Oh well that'll teach me! Thanks for letting me know :)
  • We recently travelled to US and had filled the esta form out. We still had to complete the green card and we were not asked to show our esta. I think the reason people have stopped travelling to the US is because of there attitude to visitors, it has the most unwelcoming imigration people I have ever come across. They treat everyone as a terrorist and are rude and unfriendly.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Mollydog wrote: »
    We recently travelled to US and had filled the esta form out. We still had to complete the green card and we were not asked to show our esta. I think the reason people have stopped travelling to the US is because of there attitude to visitors, it has the most unwelcoming imigration people I have ever come across. They treat everyone as a terrorist and are rude and unfriendly.

Again with this...if you read the guide, it's explained...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/esta-usa-visa

...Although you don’t need to present the reference number at Border Protection when you land on US soil...

...Although the ESTA is meant to replace filling in the I-94W piece of paper, this is only being phased out slowly across US airports, so you may find you still have to complete one depending on your arrival airport (currently you do at Newark, but not at LAX)....

I can understand people being annoyed about any number of things...but not having a printed ESTA accepted (it's an electronic thing...Electronic System for Travel Authorization)...and having to fill out the green form while on a plane, with hours and hours to kill anyway...I just don't get it.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Mollydog wrote: »
    We recently travelled to US and had filled the esta form out. We still had to complete the green card and we were not asked to show our esta. I think the reason people have stopped travelling to the US is because of there attitude to visitors, it has the most unwelcoming imigration people I have ever come across. They treat everyone as a terrorist and are rude and unfriendly.

Not my experience. On various visits their attitude has varied from neutral and businesslike to positively friendly and chatty.

And you can't show an ESTA - it's not a piece of paper, it's an entry in a database. If you showed your passport (and I can't see that you could get away without it) then you DID show your ESTA.
  • Mollydog wrote: »

Have to agree with Mollydog, I'm afraid. My girlfriend and I experienced the most appalling racism, unprofessionalism and rudeness from the immigration people when we travelled to Washington DC.

She was specially selected to be detained for further questioning for 2 hours in a room full of other wretched tourists. There were no toilet facilities nor water and some of detainees were quite elderly and in some distress. All because the last time my girlfriend left the US, an immigration person had forgotten to take out a slip of paper from her passport. And when the immigration person finally got round to questioning my girlfriend, he indicated to her and said 'brown' - I don't know whether that was because she was Sri Lankan or that she was wearing a brown jacket!

When I was stuck outside trying to find out what was happening to her, I was told to go away and flippantly told 'sayonara' (I'm Chinese by the way). How ironic with the happy videos playing in the background in the airport of smiling white-teethed Americans saying 'welcome'!

What a horrible experience. I must say, I'm very reluctant now to take another holiday to the US.
  • My wife and I flew into JFK in May my first time and had no problem at all with imigration thay were all chatty and freindly and we went through very quicky.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    mrnaga wrote: »
    . All because the last time my girlfriend left the US, an immigration person had forgotten to take out a slip of paper from her passport. .

That's not the case. You do not see an immigration official when you leave the US. The slip of paper is collected by the AIRLINE as you board the plane. It's them you should be blaming.

And being picky it's your responsibility to hand it in anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure