Wheel chair - public transport

Your views on the photo please.
I am involved in transporting wheelchairs in my job, but facing a wheelchair backwards does not sound right.
Is it really safer, just in taxis, trains, buses and cars?

50397974_10216444568801319_6727223648140132352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeGoQezn1MiTE46CQ6PjDUdLXx37rLrUrXfGCuVojcUrUgd6_vT4ZGrsOh5slrOCd94QGRGpG71senYjOOCLh210lyb8eIN_9VsL6tLxjz-b8w&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=0d15e6f85740464dd8583159a4ecfee9&oe=5CFC76BB

Comments

• Does the sign only refer to black cabs and their unique folding arrangement behind the driver ?

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, it's safer in all forms of transport where there is a risk of frontal collision.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    No, it's safer in all forms of transport where there is a risk of frontal collision.

It must be a new finding, my employer has numerous wheelchair buses and none are faced backwards.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I agree that it's much safer traveling backwards. You travel backwards on buses too.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    It must be a new finding, my employer has numerous wheelchair buses and none are faced backwards.

It's nothing new -- just simple common-sense.
  • sevenhills
    esuhl wrote: »
    It's nothing new -- just simple common-sense.

Most car seats have a headrest that is to prevent a whiplash injury, facing backwards without a headrest would not be safe in the event of an acident?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Most car seats have a headrest that is to prevent a whiplash injury, facing backwards without a headrest would not be safe in the event of an acident?

Wheelchairs don't usually have headrests.
  • sevenhills
    esuhl wrote: »
    Wheelchairs don't usually have headrests.

That is my point, if they face the wrong way in an acident!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You're facing backwards which is obviously much safer then facing forward in the event of an accident. When the driver applies the breaks or if someone hits the car you're traveling in then there's less risk of being pushed forward if you're sat backwards.

Being wheelchair user myself, it makes perfect sense. Sorry but if your job is to transport wheelchairs and you wanted to transport me in a vehicle facing forward then i'd simply refuse to travel with you.
  • sevenhills
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Being wheelchair user myself, it makes perfect sense. Sorry but if your job is to transport wheelchairs and you wanted to transport me in a vehicle facing forward then i'd simply refuse to travel with you.

Hundreds are transported every week, not by me personally, never heard of facing backwards.
    I was talking to another driver today, he seemed to think it just applies to London taxis where they have a built-in headrest in the vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure