Advice - death 3 months after retiring but no payout

13»

Comments

• **UPDATE**

Firstly i would like to say a huge thank you to those who have given me advice on this forum. These forums are so brilliant and it has given me confidence to ask questions to the right people (TPS) and give me piece of mind.

I had wrongly assumed that my dad had only just started to receive his pension, as he was still working for himself, but he did start drawing from his teachers pension a few years before (but less than 5 years). I asked about the death in grant and there was a small amount owed however the beneficiaries (me and my brother) the addresses on the form my dad filled in where wrong as we had both moved many years before that, so we did not have any correspondence. its all sorted and closed now.

As someone pointed out on this thread, for most people pensions are great. I guess for some if they die young its not as good, but balances out for those that go on to live longer! its like a home insurance i don't see it as a waste of money at the end of the year when i don't claim, its just there in case i do.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I suppose also it is the type of pension.

While DB pensions are the best pensions in general, they arent the best for those who die young.

Had your father instead had a DC pension pot, you and your brother would have inherited half each.

At least you were paid something, so going to the TPS wasnt a waste of time.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had wrongly assumed that my dad had only just started to receive his pension, as he was still working for himself, but he did start drawing from his teachers pension a few years before (but less than 5 years). I asked about the death in grant and there was a small amount owed however the beneficiaries (me and my brother) the addresses on the form my dad filled in where wrong as we had both moved many years before that, so we did not have any correspondence. its all sorted and closed now.

So just to be clear they are now making a small death grant payment to you both?

Alex
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    At least you now know he received more than just a few months of money and possibly have something coming to you. Thank you for updating us as it's nice to know the outcome of posts we've read or contributed to.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport